GAME #64, PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, June 13, 2017, 03:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

Sox find new ways to screw up promising innings. Nice.

Schloicka

Had the right idea but once he fell he was screwed.

markj

markj

Here we are again with a chance to end this. Will they do it?

markj

They did. Benintendi comes through. Another walkoff that shouldn't have been that tough. Still, a win is a win.

Schloicka

Not a pretty game but the Sox get it done. Great job by the pen again. They bent but didn't break. Abad with the win. On to Philly now for 2 more.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on June 13, 2017, 04:00:32 PM
Fred I disagree about Xander's defense.  He has made some outstanding defensive plays.

He has also made some very bad throws from shortstop and his fielding the last week has been commensurate to his slump at the plate.  A good players does NOT take his lack of hitting out to the field with him, and a great player does not keep failing time after time when he comes to bat with men on base..  A  third position hitter on June 13 with only 23 RBI's?  Disgusting!!!!!!

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Schloicka on June 13, 2017, 07:09:25 PM
Quote from: elktonnick on June 13, 2017, 06:58:20 PM
Despite his HR yesterday Hanley isn't exactly tearing up opposing pitchers.

Okay Price got out of the inning but he didn't look either confident or impressive doing it.

Hitting .220 in June and hitting .193 with runners in scoring position for the year.

Disappointed in Hanley right now and hope he gets his shit together.  IMHO, I think his role as taking a leadership role has fractured his outlook and there is no doubt in my mind that he is NOT healthy.  We should also bring Sam Travis back up and stop this shit about worrying about salary and contract.  We need hitting and Sam proved he can hit up here.

ipot

The pen does the job for the 2nd game in a row.  Offense goes dead from innings 4 - 11.  Surreal that we are struggling to beat the worst team in baseball.  Is our record deceptive or something?   The Lively kid out-pitched  $$$$Price.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bill-806

As  DAD would  say,  "SON, nothing to write home about, but another one that we don't have to win in September" !!    thumb_u iono

elktonnick

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on June 13, 2017, 11:25:04 PM
Fred I disagree about Xander's defense.  He has made some outstanding defensive plays.

He has also made some very bad throws from shortstop and his fielding the last week has been commensurate to his slump at the plate.  A good players does NOT take his lack of hitting out to the field with him, and a great player does not keep failing time after time when he comes to bat with men on base..  A  third position hitter on June 13 with only 23 RBI's?  Disgusting!!!!!!

Again I disagree.  While he has had problems in the past, he stopped that hiccup when he throws and made some outstanding plays last night.  His hitting though continues to bother me.  He does get to the ball but the way he lunges at the ball robs him of power but he is a good hitter just not one with much power.  He certainly doesn't belong in the third slot.  The problem is they don't have a classic hitter to put in the third slot.

longgame

Not only has he made some great defensive plays - and I've always faulted him on his defense - he's still 5th in the league in batting.  Bogaerts is the least of our problems (although trying to steal 3rd with nobody out is really dumb).  Price has that fear of a guy putting the ball in play.  All of these guys think they can try to get major leaguers to swing at bad pitches.  Go after these guys!  They can't hit as it is, so let them try to put it in play and let your defense go to work. 

elktonnick

Quote from: longgame on June 14, 2017, 08:25:37 AM

Not only has he made some great defensive plays - and I've always faulted him on his defense - he's still 5th in the league in batting.  Bogaerts is the least of our problems (although trying to steal 3rd with nobody out is really dumb).  Price has that fear of a guy putting the ball in play.  All of these guys think they can try to get major leaguers to swing at bad pitches.  Go after these guys!  They can't hit as it is, so let them try to put it in play and let your defense go to work.

Absolutely right on target regarding both Bogaerts and Price.  Price looked like he had no confidence in his stuff.

SeaBeachFred

Truth be told IPOT and Elk, I have had an animus for Bogaerts for a long time.  I'm thoroughly convinced that  this is the last guy I want up at the plate with a game on the line and have been of that belief since his pathetic performance in that Home Opening Series vs Milwaukee in 2014 that started our spinning out of control for the next two years.  Perhaps I am not giving him credit for some of the plays he has made and for that I stand down and take the blame.  However, HE IS NOT A NO. 3 HITTER, HE CANNOT HIT IN THE CLUTCH OR WITH MEN ON BASE and his power seems non existent.  The Red Sox bat him third---AND HE IS NOT A THIRD HITTER IN ANY SENSE OF THE WORD BECAUSE OF HIS TOTAL LACK OF POWER AND HIS EVEN MORE TOTAL INABILITY TO DRIVE IN RUNS.

Perhaps by next year Andrew Benintendi might be just the guy to bat in the No. 3 slot but right now I would get Mookie Betts out of leadoff, put Pedroia there, Bogaerts at second and Mookie at third or fourth.  That batting order of ours sucks in my opinion.

Rob from Mass

Calling out a RAW 21 year rookie on his home debut Album IMHO is way overboard. Just wondering how many young kids come to the BIGS and shine on opening day and continue to have a good career at age 24? I am certain you were singing praises towards him last season. Consistency in fans is as important as it is in players. Can't have it both ways.