GAME #64, PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, June 13, 2017, 03:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

PHILLIES V RED SOX

TUESDAY, JUNE 13, 2017, 7 PM AT FENWAY PARK

TV:  NESN, CSN-P

PHILADELPIA, (21-41).........................................................................BOSTON, (35-28)

PHILADELPHIA:

BEN LIVELY, RHP, 1-1, 2.57 ERA, 3K

Lively pitched seven innings in each of is first two big league
starts, becoming the first Phillies pitcher to accomplish that feat
since Carlton Loewer in 1998.  He has allowed four runs in
fourteen innings.

BOSTON:

DAVID PRICE, LHP, 1-1, 5.29 ERA, 15K

The lefty struggled in his last outing, giving up eight hits and
six runs over five innings while walking four in a 9-1 loss to the
Yankees.  Price last pitched against the Phillies in 2012 as a member
of the Rays.

Experience vs. youth in Fenway showdown

Craig Forde

In recognition of the 2017 MLB Draft, which runs through Wednesday, we are including where and when each player was drafted.

The brief two-game set between the Phillies and Red Sox at Fenway Park will conclude with experience vs. youth, as the starters on both sides reach a third crucial start in their varying paths.

The Red Sox will have David Price (No. 1 overall, 2007 Draft, Vanderbilt University) on the hill in his third start since returning from the disabled list, looking to rebound from his last outing in which he allowed six runs in a loss to the Yankees.

Price will be opposed by rookie right-hander Ben Lively (fourth round, 2013 Draft, University of Central Florida), who is making the third big league start.

"It's a big challenge for anybody, especially with the offense they have," said Philadelphia manager Pete Mackanin, who was taken in the fourth round of the 1969 Draft from Brother Rice High School in Chicago, said about his pitchers having to face Red Sox hitters. "If you make quality pitches, you're going to get hitters out. ... If you don't make mistakes, you've got a good chance of being successful against any team. So it's up to the pitcher to command the ball, change speeds, do everything that you want him to do."

Price has two career starts against Philadelphia under his belt, having gone 1-1 with a 4.76 ERA over 14 innings. Lively, who is 1-1 with a 2.57 ERA, will face Boston for the first time in his career.

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• Slumping Phillies catcher Cameron Rupp (third round, 2010 Draft, University of Texas) should continue to see some off time throughout the home-and-home series against the Sox. Monday was the second straight game Rupp did not start, having hit just .104 in his last 15 games.

• Sox closer Craig Kimbrel (96th overall, 2008 Draft, Wallace State Community College) entered the series have converted all 28 of his save opportunities at Fenway Park, which includes one save while pitching with Atlanta. He is one shy of Tom Gordon's run of 29 straight saves converted at Fenway.

• The Red Sox combo of second baseman Dustin Pedroia (65th overall, 2004 Draft, Arizona State University) and shortstop Xander Bogaerts have played side-by-side in 352 games.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170612235981716/experience-vs-youth-in-fenway-showdown/?game_pk=491071

Bear

Red Sox v. Lively:

Betts RF,
Pedroia 2B,
Bogaerts SS,
Moreland 1B,
Benintendi LF,
Ramirez DH,
Bradley Jr. CF,
Rutledge 3B,
Vazquez C,

Price

Bill-806

OK  David Price,  the ball is in your glove !!!    thumb_u rofl

ipot

What a strange world we are in when the highest paid pitcher in the MLB goes up against a rookie making his 3rd start and it's far from a slam dunk for the W.  sigh
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Bill-806 on June 13, 2017, 07:19:00 AM

The guy I'm calling our tonight is Xander "Choker" Bogaerts who has not only stopped hitting but has taken his shoddy offense out on defense with him.... a sure sign of a potential loser.  Unlike many of you out there, I have had this guy pegged as a choker since that first Home Opening Series in April of 2014 when he couldn't drive in a run to save his sorry ass.  Oh, he got hits that series, three of them but all with no one on.  Can't remember how many runners he left on base that series but I did count up to 15 before I stopped counting.  The guy improved the next year (2015) in that regard but was back to his old bad ways from July on last season.  This year he has been totally pathetic in the clutch and he has become a singles hitter with no power whatsoever.  MAN UP BOGIE, YOU'R E SHITTING THE BED.

BTW, good way to finally win the game last night we should have won by the fifth inning.  A hit, sacrifice, int walk and clutch hit by Pedroia was well done even if lead ass Marrero looked as inept running the bases as he does when he bats.  Still I'll gladly take the win.  How about making it a better job tonight?

elktonnick

Fred I disagree about Xander's defense.  He has made some outstanding defensive plays. 

Bill-806

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on June 13, 2017, 03:55:24 PM
Quote from: Bill-806 on June 13, 2017, 07:19:00 AM

The guy I'm calling our tonight is Xander "Choker" Bogaerts who has not only stopped hitting but has taken his shoddy offense out on defense with him.... a sure sign of a potential loser.  Unlike many of you out there, I have had this guy pegged as a choker since that first Home Opening Series in April of 2014 when he couldn't drive in a run to save his sorry ass.  Oh, he got hits that series, three of them but all with no one on.  Can't remember how many runners he left on base that series but I did count up to 15 before I stopped counting.  The guy improved the next year (2015) in that regard but was back to his old bad ways from July on last season.  This year he has been totally pathetic in the clutch and he has become a singles hitter with no power whatsoever.  MAN UP BOGIE, YOU'R E SHITTING THE BED.

BTW, good way to finally win the game last night we should have won by the fifth inning.  A hit, sacrifice, int walk and clutch hit by Pedroia was well done even if lead ass Marrero looked as inept running the bases as he does when he bats.  Still I'll gladly take the win.  How about making it a better job tonight?
As  DAD would say, "SON, how do you really feel about the guy" ?? iono

markj

markj

I'll take a free run. Bases still loaded, still one out. Need more.

markj

Wonderful. GIDP by Hanley ends it. Thank god they gave us a run.

elktonnick

Despite his HR yesterday Hanley isn't exactly tearing up opposing pitchers.

Okay Price got out of the inning but he didn't look either confident or impressive doing it.

elktonnick

elktonnick

Price walks another leadoff batter.  What is afraid of?  He is pitching to these guys as if they were the 27 Yankees

Schloicka

Quote from: elktonnick on June 13, 2017, 06:58:20 PM
Despite his HR yesterday Hanley isn't exactly tearing up opposing pitchers.

Okay Price got out of the inning but he didn't look either confident or impressive doing it.

Hitting .220 in June and hitting .193 with runners in scoring position for the year.

markj

Sad that they're struggling to beat this team.