GAME #32, BOSTON RED SOX AT MILWAUKEE BREWERS

Started by Bear, May 09, 2017, 01:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

RED SOX V BREWERS

TUESDAY, MAY 9, 2017, 7:40 PM AT MILLER PARK

TV:  NESN, FSWI

BOSTON, (17-14).....................................................................MILWAUKEE, (16-16)

BOSTON:

DREW POMERANZ, LHP, 3-1, 4.00ERA, 34K

Pomeranz's only loss came on his only road start of the season, a 2-0 defeat
in Baltimore, April 21.  He's struggled to keep his pitch count down, one reason
he hasn't thown more than six innings in a game this year.

MILWAUKEE:

WILY PERALTA, RHP, 4-2, 4.88ERA, 27K

Peralta was denied on his bid to be the first National Leaguer to log his fifth victory,
but that was more about the Cardinal's Carlos Martinez than about Peralta himself.
When Peralta exited in the sixth inning, St. Louis had yet to score a run.

Pomeranz, Peralta set for Interleague matchup

Patrick Donnelly

The Red Sox and Brewers return to Interleague Play on Tuesday when they face off at Miller Park.

Boston left-hander Drew Pomeranz (3-1, 4.00 ERA) has won his past two starts, but he has yet to pitch more than six innings in a game this season. He'll face a Milwaukee lineup that's hitting .275 against left-handed pitching.

The Brewers will counter with right-hander Wily Peralta (4-2, 4.88 ERA), who won his first three starts of the season but hasn't pitched six innings in any of his past three.

THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• Brewers first baseman Eric Thames hit his 12th home run, his first since April 25, in a 3-for-4 showing Sunday, breaking out of a 6-for-34 slump.

• Red Sox shortstop Xander Bogaerts has an 11-game hitting streak and already has four multihit games in May.

• Boston outfielder Andrew Benintendi homered twice and drove in five runs in the team's three-game weekend series at Minnesota.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170507228851648/pomeranz-peralta-set-for-interleague-matchup/?game_pk=490584

SeaBeachFred

You left out some pertinent information Bear, and to me this series is like coming full circle.  By that I mean starting with our first home stand that disastrous 2014 season when we went from World Champs to royal chumps.  It started with that home opener after going 2-1  the opening series in Baltimore.  After all the hoopla and celebration with the WS ring and all the Red Sox settled in and got swept with some of the worst baseball a team could play----and we never recovered and  finished in dead last place while Prune Face actually gave Farrell an extension for that miserable job he did.  I hope Xander Bogaerts remembers that series and makes a concerted effort to make amends for his disgusting performance that three game set.  Oh, he got three hits, but all with no one on base.  In fact he left 16 runners on that series when he choked big time and couldn't buy us a clutch.  I was there Bogey and you sucked, just as you did all year with RISP.  Make up for it this series, if not for you then do it for me because I was there and you made me sick all the way home by your putrid performance.  I'll be watching.

Bear

GAME 32, RED SOX LINEUP:

Red Sox @ Brewers G1

Betts RF
Pedroia 2B
Bogaerts SS
Benintendi CF
Moreland 1B
Young LF
Leon C
Rutledge 3B

Pomeranz LHP.

Bear

Fred, I hope Bogaerts makes amends tonite. thumb_u

Bill-806

Quote from: Bear on May 09, 2017, 04:01:35 PM
GAME 32, RED SOX LINEUP:

Red Sox @ Brewers G1

Betts RF
Pedroia 2B
Bogaerts SS
Benintendi CF
Moreland 1B
Young LF
Leon C
Rutledge 3B

Pomeranz LHP.
  WOW, Hanley has the night off !!!   thumb_d

ipot

I guess it's a glass half full/empty thing.  Hanley off tonight, then Moreland tomorrow?  This is when the DH issue becomes an issue.  Hanley worked out fine at 1b last year.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Bill-806 on May 09, 2017, 05:55:24 PM
Quote from: Bear on May 09, 2017, 04:01:35 PM
GAME 32, RED SOX LINEUP:

Red Sox @ Brewers G1

Betts RF
Pedroia 2B
Bogaerts SS
Benintendi CF
Moreland 1B
Young LF
Leon C
Rutledge 3B

Pomeranz LHP.
  WOW, Hanley has the night off !!!   thumb_d

Damn National League.  They think it's pure baseball to watch a pitcher flail at the plate and try to hit, and most pitchers can't even bunt anymore.  Fans don't come to games to see managers strategize; they come to watch their team knock the blocks off their opponents.  It took awhile but but within a decade after the AL adopted the PH they started winning the All Star game in droves.  Perhaps that extra bat on teams might have given the junior circuit the edge.

markj

Pom-pom digs himself a hole already. 2-1 Brewers and no outs.

markj

Travis Shaw drives in another run while Thornburg looks on, having done absolutely nothing for the Sox since they got him in that trade. Pom-pom is serving up batting practice.

markj

Pom-pom gives up his second 2-run dinger of the inning. Now 5-1. Welcome back to the NL, Pom-pom.

ojdidit

The Great Wily Peralta is mowing them down!

elktonnick

Quote from: markj on May 09, 2017, 07:12:43 PM
Pom-pom gives up his second 2-run dinger of the inning. Now 5-1. Welcome back to the NL, Pom-pom.

Like I posted before Pomerantz reminds me of Clay Buccholtz (albeit a left handed version}  He is as exasperating as CB.  He nibbles.  Pomerantz has at best a mediocre fastball which he can't command.

markj

Sox are trying to climb back into this one.

markj

Hembree is about to put this game out of reach.

markj

Yep, game over. Hembree sucks lately. When was the last time he had a good game?