GAME #103, WEDNESDAY, JULY 24, 2019, BOSTON RED SOX @ TAMPA BAY RAYS

Started by Schloicka, July 23, 2019, 09:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elktonnick

I believe it is the Umpire's responsibility to ensure that the manager designates where the batter will hit when making the substitution.

Schloicka

To me it should be very simple. The dh hits for the pitcher so that should be the pitchers place in the lineup. Technically he's already in the lineup. The pitcher who came in should hit in the 1st base mans spot. Either way it was the umps responsibility to have made sure who was hitting where when the change was made.

elktonnick

The issue was not that simple because Cash made no designation at the time he moved his pitcher to first base.  So he had the former pitcher now 1st baseman in the lineup at the the same time as the DH.  It was Hernandez not Cash who made the lineup change not Cash which became the basis for Cora's protest.  Once the former pitcher returned to the mound was when Cora made his move. IMO it was a clever move by Cora which I believe should upheld by MLB  but we will see.

Sea Dog 23

IMO it's time for Cora to move on from the Ray's kurfufle  today.  It shouldn't consume him.  He has to take on Boone and the Yanks in less than 24 hrs.  By my  count they've scored 18 runs in the last 7 innings, over 2 games with Twins.  It's time to be big boys.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 24, 2019, 02:40:48 PM
OK Sox won the series.   But the bats will have to make some noise when the Yanks come to town.  They can score early and often.  As for the wild card, we playNY 12 more times .  That will add some good math or bad numbers to our chances.

Losing today especially hurt because tomorrow we open a four game series with the Yankees with Rick the Dick Porcello on the hill.  He has been othing short of foul horseshit this season, constantly getting battered around and giving up over 1.5 hits per inning.  Very little if any chance to win tomorrow if he's pitching what with also his penchant for the nuclear four or five run inning.  We better hit tomorrow and hit well and a lot or you can probably write the game off as a sunk cost.  Amazing just how crappy Porcello has been this season.  We really need some breaks tomorrow and I don't think we're gonna get them.  The Yankees may eat him and our team alive ?Friday evening.

Bill-806

A wild one for sure at the TROP …… That Kevin Cash sure has a "vivid imagination" !!!   Give CASH credit, always thinking & getting the most out of his roster !! iono iono

longgame

I don't think this is going to consume anyone.  He made the protest and will now focus on today's game.  If they win the protest, great. If not, nothing has changed. 

Big series coming up for the Sox to see if they can hang with the big boys.  The Sox need to step up their game at home.