RED SOX

David Price (L)

Lineup Pending

RAYS

Charlie Morton (R)

Lineup Pending

Gametime Temp: 90°F
Chance of Precip: 16%

Hey George, how about using your influence to get us a ha trick tomorrow, ok?  First time this year we reached ten games above 500.  I still have doubts about our Wild Card chances but at least we payed two good games in a row against a good team and already won the series.  But we need a closer and that is first priority.  We don't need any more rental power hitters or slick fielding infielders.  What we need is a closer and another solid reliever.  After what Workman-Jerkman put us through tonight I think that is as obvious as the nose on Jerkman's face.

longgame

I'm with you on the need for a closer and another arm.  They have two guys that can get outs late in games, Barnes and Workman, and both of them have limits.  Eovaldi can be part of that but it's going to take time.

I also agree that it's a big game as is every game in this stretch. 

longgame

I have to wonder if JDM is suffering because he doesn't have power hitting behind him.  The two guys ahead of him are tearing it up and knocking in runs.  Behind him today you have Benitendi meaning people will gladly pitch around Martinez to get to him.  Maybe when (if?) Moreland returns to form that will help him.  Of course offense hasn't been the problem either.

Bill-806

Quote from: longgame on July 24, 2019, 08:39:41 AM
I have to wonder if JDM is suffering because he doesn't have power hitting behind him.  The two guys ahead of him are tearing it up and knocking in runs.  Behind him today you have Benitendi meaning people will gladly pitch around Martinez to get to him.  Maybe when (if?) Moreland returns to form that will help him.  Of course offense hasn't been the problem either.
While we are at it, BOGEY is very QUIETLY playing a LOT of GAMES...… No rest for the weary !!! iono iono iono iono

longgame

The ability of Sox relievers to walk people at the worst times is amazing.  Even more amazing when they walk the first guy they face.

Murph

Very nice hustle and throw by Raffy.Gotta live the way he has progressed his defense since May 2.

elktonnick

Quote from: longgame on July 24, 2019, 01:31:32 PM
The ability of Sox relievers to walk people at the worst times is amazing.  Even more amazing when they walk the first guy they face.
They do this repeatedly.  They simply are afraid to pitch to contact. 

longgame

Strange doings here with TB putting their pitcher on 1B and keeping him in the game.  Not sure why someone already in the game would get warm up throws though.  I seem to recall seeing this in the past.

longgame

My guess is that Cora was pointing out that when the pitcher takes a defensive position you lose the DH.  I would think that this would mean that the pitcher would come up in the DH’s spot.  When they then took out the pitcher and replaced him with the 1B, I think they couldn’t figure out where the 1B would bat.

elktonnick

elktonnick

Looks like Rays may have made an illegal substitution by entering wrongful entries on the lineup card which Angel initially accepted and then changed.  Cora challenged the umpires correcting Cash's mistakes.  Game under protest.  Legally the Red Sox should win the protest.  Upshot whether the Red Sox win or lose the protest Angel Hernandez once again demonstrated why he is considered the most incompetent and worst umpire in the game. And, that is something that virtually every player manager or baseball executive agrees.

Sea Dog 23

OK Sox won the series.   But the bats will have to make some noise when the Yanks come to town.  They can score early and often.  As for the wild card, we playNY 12 more times .  That will add some good math or bad numbers to our chances.

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on July 24, 2019, 02:39:04 PM
Looks like Rays may have made an illegal substitution by entering wrongful entries on the lineup card which Angel initially accepted and then changed.  Cora challenged the umpires correcting Cash's mistakes.  Game under protest.  Legally the Red Sox should win the protest.  Upshot whether the Red Sox win or lose the protest Angel Hernandez once again demonstrated why he is considered the most incompetent and worst umpire in the game. And, that is something that virtually every player manager or baseball executive agrees.

That's exactly what it was.  The pitcher that moves to first is still in the game and once he moves into position player he bats in his spot, which the DH had been hitting in.  The guy that comes in to replace him replaced the first baseman.  Then when the pitcher at 1B came back to pitch, the player that came in to the game at 1B replaced the pitcher.  I'm worried that they'll rule it was okay because it was "fixed" by the umpires. 

Hernandez is awful.  He gets overturned more than anyone and of course infamously had 3 calls overturned in the playoffs last year. 

Sox seem to play poorly in day games even when indoors.  I'm sure there's a split on it somewhere.

Murph

Chris Mason Retweeted

Rob Bradford

Verified account

@bradfo
50m50 minutes ago
More
From pool reporter: Angel Hernandez said that Cash never specified where Kolarek would hit when moved to first base. He said there is rule that states in such a case it is umpire's discretion to place hitter in spot in lineup.