GAME #4, SUNDAY, APRIL 1, 2018, RED SOX V RAYS

Started by Bear, April 01, 2018, 12:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob from Mass

Schloicka

Quote from: wpete on April 01, 2018, 03:36:13 PM
Should have been a sweep.

If they had won game 1 there is no guarantee that they would of won games 2, 3 & 4. It's hard to sweep a 4 game series against any team. Take the 3 games and be happy and move on.

Sea Dog 23

One of the question marks going into the opening series was the staff.  A couple on the DL and some new starters.  With the series behind they've got some good stats and feedback on what is available, the bullpen too.  Happy that Kelly was able to get the bad mojo behind him with the save, albeit a cardiac test for the fans.

elktonnick

The take away from this series should be that the starting pitching is solid and middle relief not so much.  Kelly and Smith's problems are largely of their own making. 

Bogaerts appears to have successfully changed his swing and approach and at least for today the Red Sox are in first place.

It would be a big mistake to take their upcoming opponent the Marlins for granted since they just split with the "mighty" Cubs.  Nor should anyone assume the Yankee bullpen is invincible since they just split with the Jays.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: wpete on April 01, 2018, 03:36:13 PM
Should have been a sweep.

Yes, it should have been Pete, and you saw how many of us wee pissed off beyond sanity Thursday night after Cora seized defeat from the jaws of victory, but we all demanded that we had to win the next three to make this a kind of success.  Well we did come back and win three even though in those three games we got exactly, what, FIVE freakin' runs?  Was it good pitching or very weak hitting from the Rays?  Well let's save the complaining until if and when we see a replica of our futile hitting in Miami.  We better start hitting and fast.

Again, though, we DID win the last three games of the series and that should make us relatively happy and hope for better hitting when we get to Florida.

ipot

Except for 1 inning in game 1 our pitching has been phenomenal.  That's 35 of 36 innings.   I'm thrilled about that. 

But, gawd, these bats have to start moving.  ???
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bill-806

Just got back home from the TROP.....  Strange being in the DOME, but very comfortable...... again our hitting was right at the fielders, glad to get out of there with 3 VICTORY's ....... SMALL crowd ( EASTER ??) with 50 %+- RED SOX FANS...... thumb_u rofl rofl

elktonnick

Bill I was also at the Trop for Saturday nights game.  We were in 132 right down the 1st base line. What a dump.

SeaBeachFred

Well you and Bill saw the Red Sox win.  I hope when I go to Anaheim in a couple of weeks to see our team they find a way to send me home happy.

Bill-806

Quote from: elktonnick on April 01, 2018, 06:48:48 PM
Bill I was also at the Trop for Saturday nights game.  We were in 132 right down the 1st base line. What a dump.
Not fair to call it a dump.....  Lousy for baseball, but one of the CEANEST and friendly, helpful employees that I have ever ben in........Baseball is meant to be played outside....Justgood for the SOX to win 3 and move on..... iono iono

Sea Dog 23

Sadly, baseball should never be played in Florida in mid-summer, unless it's in an A/C controlled warehouse.  You can throw in Dallas as well.  I used to live near Sarasota, and it's stifling in summer, especially after rain.

Rob from Mass

Quote from: Bill-806 on April 02, 2018, 04:56:54 AM
Quote from: elktonnick on April 01, 2018, 06:48:48 PM
Not fair to call it a dump.....  Lousy for baseball, but one of the CEANEST and friendly, helpful employees that I have ever ben in........Baseball is meant to be played outside....Justgood for the SOX to win 3 and move on..... iono iono

Will forever be a DUMP.

longgame

Quote from: Bill-806 on April 01, 2018, 06:28:27 PM
Just got back home from the TROP.....  Strange being in the DOME, but very comfortable...... again our hitting was right at the fielders, glad to get out of there with 3 VICTORY's ....... SMALL crowd ( EASTER ??) with 50 %+- RED SOX FANS...... thumb_u rofl rofl

Strange place to see a game, especially when it's as empty as it was when you went.  We went some years ago, one of the seasons when they were pretty good, and the place was pretty full - although a lot were Sox fans.  I seriously don't get why they don't light that place better.  I guess they finally are trying to get a new stadium.

As for the Sox, I'm quite concerned about the lack of hitting.  Plus, has Febles coached 3B before?  Because he has no idea when to send someone.  The team seems to be right about where they were a year ago - no offense, lucky to hold on behind good pitching.

Still, I'll take first place!

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on April 02, 2018, 07:59:31 AM

As for the Sox, I'm quite concerned about the lack of hitting.  Plus, has Febles coached 3B before?  Because he has no idea when to send someone.  The team seems to be right about where they were a year ago - no offense, lucky to hold on behind good pitching.

The batting woes could be affected by the staff throwing a lot of new techniques at the batters by installing the new 'launch angle' and getting hitters to solve the shift factor the first series.  That's ironic that the preferred launch angle was demonstrated by Ted Williams in one video I saw.  Guys like Bonds emphasized hitting down on the ball.

Bill-806

Quote from: longgame on April 02, 2018, 07:59:31 AM

Strange place to see a game, especially when it's as empty as it was when you went.  We went some years ago, one of the seasons when they were pretty good, and the place was pretty full - although a lot were Sox fans.  I seriously don't get why they don't light that place better.  I guess they finally are trying to get a new stadium.

Still, I'll take first place!
All true, especially the BASE running, heck, B HOLT was out by a mile & we have not generated enough offense yet to cover our base running mistakes..... We ended a possible big inning on sending Holt.... iono iono