GAME #66, SUNDAY, JUNE 10, 2018, CHICAGO WHITE SOX AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, June 09, 2018, 10:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ipot

Quote from: BoSoxFanNY on June 10, 2018, 09:51:18 PM
OMG - The METS beat the Yankees 2 - 0.

Thank you METS!

Yes! The only way the Mets could win was by pitching a shutout.  And it happened.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bill-806

Quote from: ipot on June 10, 2018, 10:39:31 PM

Thank you METS!

Yes! The only way the Mets could win was by pitching a shutout.  And it happened.
WOW !!!!   As DAD would say,  "SON, thank the METS and our lucky STARS that they beat the YANK$ as we remain a half game out after going 5 & 5 over the last 10" !!! thumb_d iono iono

longgame

Quote from: Schloicka on June 10, 2018, 06:40:22 PM
The Sox lineup is nowhere as good as the Yankee lineup. Devers, JBJ, our catchers, Holt, Nunez, Swihart or Shaw wouldn't sniff the Yankee roster or they'd be fringe players at best. While I believe the Sox pitching is much better overall you still need to score runs to win games. The Yanks will probably end up with 6 guys with 20 or more HR's. The Sox are sitting there with Beni, Xman, JD & sometimes Moreland (whom I'm not impressed with offensivly). Even when Betts comes back the Sox are short handed. They need to find a way to strengthen the bottom 4 spots in the lineup. The bottom 4 spots aren't getting on nor are they driving in many runs. You can't continue to win on a pace needed to keep up with other good teams without more hitting from the bottom 4 spots.

Great post George.  The bottom four of the lineup don't give us much of anything at all yet he loves to rest the guys who can hit.  Cora can't seem to figure out when to pinch hit (I'll give him a hint, any time there are men on base late in the game and JBJ is at the plate would be a good start).  They are getting nothing out of these guys.  Certainly I'd play Holt over any of the guys you mention but he is what he is - a bench player.  If you lose a guy like Betts it should have a small impact, but not being able to field more than two legitimate outfielders, one of who can't hit his weight, is a big problem.  Ditto with Pedey - shouldn't be too hard to replace beyond leadership to the extent that he provides any.  But somehow Pedey being out means Devers plays every inning of every game no matter how many rows up in the stands he throws the ball and Nunez has a frying pan for a glove. 

Plus, we're back to never being sure what we're going to get out of a given pitcher on a given night.  They may be good, but nobody has been dominant and that could be an issue later in the year.

Lack of depth in this lineup will be the downfall of this team, as it was last year. 

longgame

Quote from: ipot on June 10, 2018, 10:39:31 PM

Thank you METS!

I was holding my breath watching the end of that game, figuring the Mets would find a way to blow it somehow!

elktonnick

Quote from: longgame on June 11, 2018, 08:29:14 AM
Quote from: Schloicka on June 10, 2018, 06:40:22 PM
The Sox lineup is nowhere as good as the Yankee lineup. Devers, JBJ, our catchers, Holt, Nunez, Swihart or Shaw wouldn't sniff the Yankee roster or they'd be fringe players at best. While I believe the Sox pitching is much better overall you still need to score runs to win games. The Yanks will probably end up with 6 guys with 20 or more HR's. The Sox are sitting there with Beni, Xman, JD & sometimes Moreland (whom I'm not impressed with offensivly). Even when Betts comes back the Sox are short handed. They need to find a way to strengthen the bottom 4 spots in the lineup. The bottom 4 spots aren't getting on nor are they driving in many runs. You can't continue to win on a pace needed to keep up with other good teams without more hitting from the bottom 4 spots.

Great post George.  The bottom four of the lineup don't give us much of anything at all yet he loves to rest the guys who can hit.  Cora can't seem to figure out when to pinch hit (I'll give him a hint, any time there are men on base late in the game and JBJ is at the plate would be a good start).  They are getting nothing out of these guys.  Certainly I'd play Holt over any of the guys you mention but he is what he is - a bench player.  If you lose a guy like Betts it should have a small impact, but not being able to field more than two legitimate outfielders, one of who can't hit his weight, is a big problem.  Ditto with Pedey - shouldn't be too hard to replace beyond leadership to the extent that he provides any.  But somehow Pedey being out means Devers plays every inning of every game no matter how many rows up in the stands he throws the ball and Nunez has a frying pan for a glove. 

Plus, we're back to never being sure what we're going to get out of a given pitcher on a given night.  They may be good, but nobody has been dominant and that could be an issue later in the year.

Lack of depth in this lineup will be the downfall of this team, as it was last year.

You are echoing my thoughts exactly over both the lack of depth and Cora's inability to properly manage the lineup day to day or inning to inning.

Bill-806

D D needs to TWEEK that roster and get some value & quality that have a future in MLB...…  That said, when MOOKIE returns, he should BAT 2ND behind BENNY BICEPS and in front of  J D batting 3rd ?????  What say you ?? iono iono rofl rofl rofl

SeaBeachFred

Let's hope Wright is on today and his floater is working well.  If so we have a decent chance to win.  However, and it is a big however, we need some hitting support of the kind we didn't get during our disgraceful and disgusting series with the lowly White Sox.  Leaderless and unable to handle adversity we better hope that somehow first year flop skipper Bora Bora find a way to get the team to meld together into a fighting force because that is what we need.  And will someone take charge in the field?  That is a soul howling in the wilderness since it sure isn't a cipher like Bogaerts who has no leadership qualities whatsoever, nor Devers who seems lost just being on the field,  Maybe Holt who at least has some fire and maybe Moreland.  Good God somebody before this season slip down the crapper for us.  I hope my friends out there are seeing what I'm seeing because we are ambling towards critical mass.  First you Cora...get the team moving with some inspirational leadership and start off by eliminating those managerial blunders.  Man Up Alex.

elktonnick

The other night I heard Eckersley refer to Beni biceps.  Now I confess I don't listen to Boston sports radio but the only other place I heard Benintendi refered to as Beni biceps was here.  Is that a common reference around Boston?

Bill-806

Quote from: elktonnick on June 11, 2018, 12:49:42 PM
The other night I heard Eckersley refer to Beni biceps.  Now I confess I don't listen to Boston sports radio but the only other place I heard Benintendi refered to as Beni biceps was here.  Is that a common reference around Boston?
YES, & the GIRLS just love his swing & strength !!! rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl