GAME #59, SATURDAY, JUNE 2, 2018, BOSTON RED SOX AT HOUSTON ASTROS

Started by markj, June 02, 2018, 09:32:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

Quote from: Schloicka on June 02, 2018, 09:05:29 PM
Quote from: markj on June 02, 2018, 08:45:45 PM
Monster dinger by Vaz ties it up.

Price did ok, I guess. He needed to be better than ok, though. 100+ pitches through 6 innings is nothing to crow about.

Wasn't great but Verlander threw over 100 pitches in 6 innings too. I'd rather see 7 innings but it is what it is.

Yeah, I meant to note that Verlander didn't do any better. And Hembree just got in a good inning. Need someone to step up and get us through the 8th to Kimbrel.

elktonnick

For me Vasquez at bat in the second inning was key.  He kept fouling balls off driving up Verlander's pitch count getting him  out after 6.  You could almost sense that Vasquez was going to do something else at the plate.

elktonnick

Why did Nunez take that ball from Vasquez where he did.  Nunez always seems out of position when he plays second.

markj

Schloicka

Quote from: elktonnick on June 02, 2018, 09:30:30 PM
Why did Nunez take that ball from Vasquez where he did.  Nunez always seems out of position when he plays second.

He never stays back to get the ball. He's always moving toward it. Once a player starts doing that it's hard to break them of the habit.

markj

Kimbrel was stellar. Sox at least won't get swept. And any game you win against Verlander is a good one.

elktonnick

Schloicka

Price with the win. Hembree & Kelly both get holds and Kimbrel with the save. Just enough offense tonight. 2 mammoth hr's by Vaz & Beni. 2 rbi's for JD. Let's see what's on tap for Sunday.

BoSoxFanNY

Quote from: markj on June 02, 2018, 09:58:37 PM
Kimbrel was stellar. Sox at least won't get swept. And any game you win against Verlander is a good one.

Thank you Kimbrel!

Thank you JD Martinez, Vasquez and Benintendi!

And David Price got the W.

SeaBeachFred

I wish they would now put Holt on second and then move Nunez to third where he does play better while giving Rafey a few days off because he is really scuffling.  I think our defense would be better without Eduardo playing second, but that is secondary to our comeback tonight.  Weird we win the game that Verlander pitches even though he was out when we rallied, but glad Price hung in there and got himself a win.  I always root for Price and would like to see him really start to pitch some gems for us.  Tonight we wasn't great but he held the fort and we got him some runs.  But WE WON and if  we can only come tomorrow and earn a split we would have held our own at the Alamo.

ipot

Quote from: markj on June 02, 2018, 09:08:49 PM
Quote from: Schloicka on June 02, 2018, 09:05:29 PM
Quote from: markj on June 02, 2018, 08:45:45 PM
Monster dinger by Vaz ties it up.

Price did ok, I guess. He needed to be better than ok, though. 100+ pitches through 6 innings is nothing to crow about.

Wasn't great but Verlander threw over 100 pitches in 6 innings too. I'd rather see 7 innings but it is what it is.

Yeah, I meant to note that Verlander didn't do any better. And Hembree just got in a good inning. Need someone to step up and get us through the 8th to Kimbrel.

Good point.  Our pen leaves something to be desired.  Houston's 1 weakness is it's pen as well.  Price did fine but Hinch got us the W by pulling Verlander and propping out Harris out there.  Verlander would've put up a 0 in the 7th imo.  But, I'll take it.  I was prepping for 1 out of 4 in Houston.  Maybe, maybe, we can salvage a split out of it....
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bill-806

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on June 02, 2018, 10:39:31 PM

I wish they would now put Holt on second and then move Nunez to third where he does play better while giving Rafey a few days off because he is really scuffling.  I think our defense would be better without Eduardo playing second, but that is secondary to our comeback tonight.  Weird we win the game that Verlander pitches even though he was out when we rallied, but glad Price hung in there and got himself a win.  I always root for Price and would like to see him really start to pitch some gems for us.  Tonight we wasn't great but he held the fort and we got him some runs.  But WE WON and if  we can only come tomorrow and earn a split we would have held our own at the Alamo.
SPOT ON  Fred ……. Big win.... needed it badly..... tough place to play !! thumb_u

elktonnick

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on June 02, 2018, 10:39:31 PM

To put it bluntly Nunez plays a horrid second base.  He is better at third.  Regarding second, he is always out of position.  He seems quite afraid of incoming runners hiring his legs.