GAME #56, WEDNESDAY, MAY 30, 2018, TORONTO BLUE JAYS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, May 29, 2018, 10:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

Gaviglio vs Rodriguez - 1:05PM EDT

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on May 29, 2018, 10:16:38 PM

I believe the game is WEDNESDAY mark.  Get with it; you're starting to act like me and you're too young to be doing that.  Anyway we need to sweep this series.

markj

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on May 29, 2018, 11:36:01 PM
Quote from: markj on May 29, 2018, 10:16:38 PM

I believe the game is WEDNESDAY mark.  Get with it; you're starting to act like me and you're too young to be doing that.  Anyway we need to sweep this series.

Thanks, Fred. The Monday holiday is throwing me off. I think Bear's absence is showing us all just how much she does around here.

longgame

Off to go fishing in Maine with 10 or 11 old college buddies.  Good timing given everything that's happened here in the past month.  It's actually more of a fishing themed drinking trip!  See y'all next week.  Go Sox!

Bill-806

Nice opposite field stroke by  JBJ...…. Howevaaa, the replay on the SOX base running cost us a big inning !! iono

Schloicka

E-rod can't stand success. Walks the #9 hitter with 2 outs then gives up a 2 run hr to the #1 guy. Hate those 2 out runs.

Schloicka

JD gets the 2 runs back with a 2 run hr. Back to a 2 run lead.

Bill-806

Quote from: Schloicka on May 30, 2018, 01:51:31 PM
Thank goodness …… Would like to see E-ROD get a/the win here, more importantly the SOX NEEDS this game to keep/put the pressure on the YANK$ tonight !!  Also, DEVERS is starting to more & more look like a 20/21 year old & sometimes lost at  bat !!  JBJ is coming around !! iono

Bill-806

VICTORY.... Shaky, but a "W".... Sorry that they had to use Kimbrel as they will need him in HOUSTON !! thumb_u iono iono iono iono iono

Schloicka

E-rod pitched well overall. The offense showed up again. The bullpen did fine except Johnson needs to go. Doesn't fool anyone. His style is more for a starter. Need guys in the pen who can throw smoke for the most part.  Kimbrel with the save. On to Houston.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Bill-806 on May 30, 2018, 01:57:34 PM
Quote from: Schloicka on May 30, 2018, 01:51:31 PM
Thank goodness …… Would like to see E-ROD get a/the win here, more importantly the SOX NEEDS this game to keep/put the pressure on the YANK$ tonight !!  Also, DEVERS is starting to more & more look like a 20/21 year old & sometimes lost at  bat !!  JBJ is coming around !! iono

Glad E-Rod got the win and we got the sweep which I think we really needed for this series.  I do think, however, that E-Rod made things tough on himself by walking the #9 hitter and then giving up a dinger to the leadoff man.  Did he let up? Lose his concentration? Made careless pitches?  Whatever it was, it could be the secret from him becoming a big winner or staying in the mediocrity neighborhood for awhile.  And double good for JDM to get the lead back for us with that two run homer.  Anyone out there still think we should have walked away from this guy when negotiations seemed to hit a snag last winter?  Didn't think so.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Schloicka on May 30, 2018, 03:08:11 PM
E-rod pitched well overall. The offense showed up again. The bullpen did fine except Johnson needs to go. Doesn't fool anyone. His style is more for a starter. Need guys in the pen who can throw smoke for the most part.  Kimbrel with the save. On to Houston.

Yea, but can Kimbrel come back against a very tough team after Cora was forced to use him today as well as yesterday?  That might be a tough chore George.  Too bad we couldn't get a decent relief job from Velasquez and Johnson.  Johnson has looked lousy lately and to me it looks like he isn't ever going to be a solid pitcher for us---maybe a spot starter and nothing more.  Vel looks better as a starter which means we need at least one more decent reliever.  Wonder why Kelly wasn't used today.  Still we got the sweep and it means the Yankees will not get that game back in this latest three games series we both had, and maybe, I said maybe, the Astros will make up for their crappy folderoo last night and win the rubber match tonight.  Maybe.

Bill-806

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on May 30, 2018, 03:53:09 PM
Quote from: Schloicka on May 30, 2018, 03:08:11 PM

Yea, but can Kimbrel come back against a very tough team after Cora was forced to use him today as well as yesterday?  That might be a tough chore George.  Too bad we couldn't get a decent relief job from Velasquez and Johnson.  Johnson has looked lousy lately and to me it looks like he isn't ever going to be a solid pitcher for us---maybe a spot starter and nothing more.  Vel looks better as a starter which means we need at least one more decent reliever.  Wonder why Kelly wasn't used today.  Still we got the sweep and it means the Yankees will not get that game back in this latest three games series we both had, and maybe, I said maybe, the Astros will make up for their crappy folderoo last night and win the rubber match tonight.  Maybe.
How about BOBBY POYNER ??? iono iono

Sea Dog 23

As far as Kelly,  he is becoming pretty consistent.  AC is probably trying to avoid using him in too many set up situations, not to wear him out.  There are times when most every game is tight going to the late innings.  It's still May, and would not surprise if we try to get more bullpen help before the trade deadline.  (Thornburg is still a question mark, Smith is on the DL, Johnson is undependable).  Wright might be a welcome addition.

SeaBeachFred

You have to wonder just when Thornburg is going to start contributing for the team.  He cost us Travis Shaw, a solid 30+ homer and 100 RBI guy (who I think is much better than the guy we have there now even though the kid is still very young and could get better.  As for Smith, he has been a total washout so far which brings up the point you made Sea Dog.   We need bullpen help and wonder if Bobby Poyner might be an answer.  That we won't know because he seems to be going up and down like a roller coaster and right now there is no one down on the farm that translate into a real relief hope for us.  And we will need bullpen help and maybe very soon.