GAME #25, Wednesday, APRIL 24, 2019, TIGERS @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Schloicka, April 24, 2019, 09:57:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

This guy has thrown one strike and nine balls. Now ten.

markj

Yet another walked-in run. 12 balls and just 1 strike. Bases still loaded.

markj

Holy Cow, Detroit let this one get out of hand quickly.

markj

markj

Thornburg with an 10 run lead still has trouble throwing strikes. Two walks in the inning so far.

markj

This is all Thornburg is good for. Put him in with an 10 run lead and hope he can get 3 outs before it becomes a close game. Now it's 11-4. With 2 outs and an 10 run lead, he gives up 3 runs. Why on earth don't they DFA this clown?

markj

elktonnick

Quote from: markj on April 24, 2019, 09:35:03 PM
This is all Thornburg is good for. Put him in with an 11 run lead and hope he can get 3 outs before it becomes a close game. Now it's 11-4. With 2 outs and an 10 run lead, he gives up 3 runs. Why on earth don't they DFA this clown?

I was surprised when Thornburg made the club after ST.  He hasn't gotten any better since. 

More importantly, I was somewhat troubled by Barnes's statement that he tries to strike out everybody.  If I were the manager and pitching coach I would try and disabuse him of that notion PDQ.  We saw that when he needlessly loaded the bases in the eighth inning.  He goes 0-2 on too many batters only to lose them with nibbling or throwing his in the dirt curve after curve trying to entice a swinging third strike.  The Sox need to adopt the Kevin Brown approach namely entice the weak roll over grounder to second base.

Sea Dog 23

I was surprised at LaVangie when named as the coach.  He was a scout for many years and was our bullpen guy.  But I don't think he was ever on the bench before ( I could have missed something). He made some good moves through the season last year, but this year it seems like all the coaches are trying to invent things all over.

Bill-806

Quote from: elktonnick on April 25, 2019, 08:47:04 AM
This is all Thornburg is good for. Put him in with an 11 run lead and hope he can get 3 outs before it becomes a close game. Now it's 11-4. With 2 outs and an 10 run lead, he gives up 3 runs. Why on earth don't they DFA this clown?

I was surprised when Thornburg made the club after ST.  He hasn't gotten any better since. 

More importantly, I was somewhat troubled by Barnes's statement that he tries to strike out everybody.  If I were the manager and pitching coach I would try and disabuse him of that notion PDQ.  We saw that when he needlessly loaded the bases in the eighth inning.  He goes 0-2 on too many batters only to lose them with nibbling or throwing his in the dirt curve after curve trying to entice a swinging third strike.  The Sox need to adopt the Kevin Brown approach namely entice the weak roll over grounder to second base.
CONCUR, send Thornburg on his way !! iono iono

SeaBeachFred

Thornburg sucks pure and simple.  He is on the team only for two reasons, one of which makes no sense and is based on ego and misplaced pride.  Our bullpen is so shitty that even a crud like the Thorn can find a place on the roster.  The second reason is obvious to me.  We  traded Travis Shaw for him and pride and an unwillingness to admit a colossal mistake keeps him here.  After all Shaw has become a 30 hom er, 100 RBI man for the Brewers and the hope is that somehow someway this POS might finally emerge as a credible reliever to save DD from embarrassment. Oh, and let's not let owner Henry off the hook.  It was his plan all along to give third base to fatso Sandoval because of that contract, a rotten decision to the core.  As it was  the  then befuddled owner then released Sandoval because of his total ineptness, and we're still paying Sandoval as we speak.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Bill-806 on April 25, 2019, 10:16:29 AM

CONCUR, send Thornburg on his way !! iono iono

As for Meatball Barnes this is no surprise.  He always impressed me as not being the sharpest tool in the shed and his penchant for striking guys out goes lame when he starts bouncing curves in the dirt and nibbling to get his opponent to swing at a bad pitch.  Most certainly the scouts know of his MOA and have cautioned their batters to beware of this kind of pi tching.  Barnes also has trouble getting the first batter out and when he does he also usually fails to pitch a clean inning.  He reminds me so much of Manny Delcarmen who the front office kept building up for the better part of six years until Theo Epstein finally threw in the towel and called him "a sunk cost."  Thanks Theo, I was saying the same damn thing about him four years earlier.  Needless to say I totally despise Delgarbage to this very day and even writing about him gives me a pain in my gut.

longgame

Thornburg either needs to accept assignment to AAA or retire.  He's that bad.  I think he did well in one game.  Not too many (any?) reliable arms in that bullpen.