GAME #48, TUESDAY, MAY 21, 2019, BOSTON RED SOX @ TORONTO BLUE JAYS

Started by Schloicka, May 21, 2019, 09:52:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elktonnick

Quote from: rkarp on May 23, 2019, 07:08:34 AM
for me, step 1 is having the Sox play well and stay healthy. over the past 25 games or so, they are playing very well. Price now back, with Eavoldi, Wright and Johnson not that far off, should also deepen and improve the rotation/pen

Marco Hernandez playing well could return potential BP help in a deal

team needs to continue playing well. I believe they will

I fail to understand why and how that bothers some posters

The Sox may be winning games against the likes of the Blue Jays, Orioles and the Tigers but it is an exaggeration to say that they are playing well.  They are playing barely adequate baseball against a bunch of weak teams. The position players mostly aren't playing cohesive baseball.  Their style of play looks largely distracted to me, lacking focus.  Maybe when Eovoldi et al return things will change.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: elktonnick on May 23, 2019, 08:44:42 AM
for me, step 1 is having the Sox play well and stay healthy. over the past 25 games or so, they are playing very well. Price now back, with Eavoldi, Wright and Johnson not that far off, should also deepen and improve the rotation/pen

The Sox may be winning games against the likes of the Blue Jays, Orioles and the Tigers but it is an exaggeration to say that they are playing well.  They are playing barely adequate baseball against a bunch of weak teams. The position players mostly aren't playing cohesive baseball.  Their style of play looks largely distracted to me, lacking focus.  Maybe when Eovoldi et al return things will change.

At the end of May the Sox have reached a show-me point in the season.  Nine critical games against the contenders Houston, Indians, and Yanks.  Sox are now 6 games in arrears of NYY in the loss column.  If we split those games, for the greater good.  If we lose all those series, we could be way out of the race and/or battling Indians for the last WC team, as we're in a tie wirh Indians today.

SeaBeachFred

It only bothers me when people don't look at the whole picture r-karp as you're doing now.  Sure the Red Sox have won six of their last ten games but the Yankees have won nine of their last ten so we have lost three games in the standings to them. WE HAVE LOST GROUND, NOT GAINED IT.  So to me that means going ssix and four or 14-6 is totally inadequate because of our miserable beginning.  It is us who have to 9-1 over the next ten games or 17-3 over the next 20 otherwise w e're either running in place or running backwards.  Sorry but that's the price we have to pay for our dismal start and Cora's ridiculous Spring Training program that he put on last March.  We're still reaping the whirlwind for that blunder even though I wish it were not so.

longgame

You'll never catch someone on a streak, especially when they can sweep the O's for 4.  But rkarp is right about them playing better.  You have to play everyone on the schedule and the just took 3 out of 4 on the road, only losing a pitching meltdown.  However, I agree that the upcoming stretch is important, starting tonight.