GAME #48, TUESDAY, MAY 21, 2019, BOSTON RED SOX @ TORONTO BLUE JAYS

Started by Schloicka, May 21, 2019, 09:52:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

Last year Cora was walking on water.  This year he's hip deep in it.  sigh

Murph

Erods last 2 games 11 innings 11 er.Now that's the real E rod. 

elktonnick

E-Rod epitomizes Yogi Berra's aphorism "Ninety percent of this game is half mental!" 

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on May 22, 2019, 08:01:26 AM
E-Rod epitomizes Yogi Berra's aphorism "Ninety percent of this game is half mental!"

Very true. Plus, E-Rod probably does math like that too.

rkarp

so in their last 20 games, the RS are 14-6, yet are chumps??
if so, if they can play like these same chumps the balance of the year, we should be raising another banner, no?

elktonnick

Look whom they have played, whom they have beaten and who has beaten them.  So yes against quality teams they have played like chumps and their manager has let them down by his incompetent handling of spring training which resulted in their being improperly prepared to begin the season.  This lack of preparation has produced the current situation we see today, a team struggling to play up to its full potential.

longgame

They've played better than they did at the start and are still held back by that tough start.  The bigger issue is that they were on a tear, then split two games that were very difficult with Colorado, lost 2 of 3 at home to the Astros and then got destroyed by a terrible team last night, because they couldn't bring in runs with lots of men on base and the pitcher is an idiot.

There are some very serious flaws on this team, even with the same players, basically because even though the regulars, other than JBJ and of course Leon, are doing okay (although still not mentally sharp), the backups have been awful and Cora's plan works if he can keep moving guys in to matchups.  Starting pitching remains inconsistent.  I don't know who can be counted on in the bullpen.  The good news is if they are behind they're always capable of catching up.  The bad news is if its close, the pen can't be trusted to bring it home.

Maybe they can win a lot of games by 5 or 6 runs. 

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on May 22, 2019, 10:33:17 AM
They've played better than they did at the start and are still held back by that tough start.  The bigger issue is that they were on a tear, then split two games that were very difficult with Colorado, lost 2 of 3 at home to the Astros and then got destroyed by a terrible team last night, because they couldn't bring in runs with lots of men on base and the pitcher is an idiot.

There are some very serious flaws on this team, even with the same players, basically because even though the regulars, other than JBJ and of course Leon, are doing okay (although still not mentally sharp), the backups have been awful and Cora's plan works if he can keep moving guys in to matchups.  Starting pitching remains inconsistent.  I don't know who can be counted on in the bullpen.  The good news is if they are behind they're always capable of catching up.  The bad news is if its close, the pen can't be trusted to bring it home.

Maybe they can win a lot of games by 5 or 6 runs.

As far as the inconsistent pitching, Cora has announced Porcello today, fine, and then his choice of the Velazquez experiment on Thurs (Ryan Webber is a backup plan). 

rkarp

honestly. as the 8th option after Eavoldi, Price, Wright and Johnson went down, Velaquez has not been that bad

Bill-806

Quote from: Murph on May 22, 2019, 07:20:54 AM
Erods last 2 games 11 innings 11 er.Now that's the real E rod.
B I N G O …..  Package up what's LEFT of HIS POTENTIAL and move him out NOW, GRASSHOPPER !!!!! He is HURTING my EYES !!!! thumb_d :losers :losers iono iono rofl rofl

longgame

Quote from: rkarp on May 22, 2019, 11:34:31 AM
honestly. as the 8th option after Eavoldi, Price, Wright and Johnson went down, Velaquez has not been that bad

Agreed on that, but the whole starting corps seems fragile too.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: rkarp on May 22, 2019, 08:14:29 AM
if so, if they can play like these same chumps the balance of the year, we should be raising another banner, no?

Now you want to bring your ridiculous pollyanna all is well crap to this place.  This is the wrong board for that ksrp.  People here know the score and they know that when we have a big breakout game very often it is followed by a  real shitty one---like last night.  And 14-6 ain't gonna do it because of our miserably pathetic start after our miserably pathetic ST regimen  that was totally the fault of Sir Alex Bora Bora,  What the hell good is 14-6 when the Yankees are going 16-4 or 17-3.  NO!!!!!!!  We cannot go 14-6; we need to go 18-2 PERIOD in order to make up the deficit Bora Bora Cora festooned on us with his shitty ST program.  We were not ready then and we are still not ready now because 14-6 is not enough,  Yes, usually it is but with the Astros and Yankees and even the Twins playing out of site baseball we have to do better than just good.  We have to play outstanding and right now we are not playing the type of ball to get us back in the AL East race. 14-6 in the last 20 games......well how much ground have we gained in that time......NOTHING!!!!!!!!

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on May 22, 2019, 01:58:53 PM

Now you want to bring your ridiculous pollyanna all is well crap to this place.  This is the wrong board for that ksrp.  People here know the score and they know that when we have a big breakout game very often it is followed by a  real shitty one---like last night.  And 14-6 ain't gonna do it because of our miserably pathetic start after our miserably pathetic ST regimen  that was totally the fault of Sir Alex Bora Bora,  What the hell good is 14-6 when the Yankees are going 16-4 or 17-3.  NO!!!!!!!  We cannot go 14-6; we need to go 18-2 PERIOD in order to make up the deficit Bora Bora Cora festooned on us with his shitty ST program.  We were not ready then and we are still not ready now because 14-6 is not enough,  Yes, usually it is but with the Astros and Yankees and even the Twins playing out of site baseball we have to do better than just good.  We have to play outstanding and right now we are not playing the type of ball to get us back in the AL East race. 14-6 in the last 20 games......well how much ground have we gained in that time......NOTHING!!!!!!!!

Fred, you can disagree with other posters but you can also respect their opinions and not call them names.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on May 22, 2019, 02:37:12 PM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on May 22, 2019, 01:58:53 PM

Fred, you can disagree with other posters but you can also respect their opinions and not call them names.

Right Ted---on the name calling you are entirely correct, but I have trouble respecting an opinion where a poster tries to convince us that black is white.   I have been jousting with that guy here and especially on another board.  I would like very much if he would ignore me so I can ignore him.  Unfortunately there is no ignore button on this board so I am stuck listening to his nonsense. I may just have to put my own ignore button on.  There was one other person here who I had trouble with and we no longer communicate and that's the way I would wish it with that karp guy.

rkarp

for me, step 1 is having the Sox play well and stay healthy. over the past 25 games or so, they are playing very well. Price now back, with Eavoldi, Wright and Johnson not that far off, should also deepen and improve the rotation/pen

Marco Hernandez playing well could return potential BP help in a deal

team needs to continue playing well. I believe they will

I fail to understand why and how that bothers some posters