GAME #145, TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, 2018, TORONTO BLUE JAYS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, September 11, 2018, 09:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

Slow start, but a good game over all. And the Yanks are not doing well. Could be a very good night.

Schloicka

Brasier with the win. The bullpen pitched very well. 2 runs is very good in 8 innings of relief. Sox clinched a playoff spot with the win. On to Wednesday.

Schloicka

SeaBeachFred

Took us a little to long to get going but who can complain when we get seven runs and win going away as we did?  Still, I wish we wouldn't take so long to get going.  Hopefully we jump out ahead tomorrow and make is easier on our nerves.  I have a question.  I notice Sale only pitched one inning.....Was that the plan or did, God forbid, he injured his shoulder again.  Please tell me it wasn't that and it was the plan all along.

ipot

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 11, 2018, 10:11:08 PM
Took us a little to long to get going but who can complain when we get seven runs and win going away as we did?  Still, I wish we wouldn't take so long to get going.  Hopefully we jump out ahead tomorrow and make is easier on our nerves.  I have a question.  I notice Sale only pitched one inning.....Was that the plan or did, God forbid, he injured his shoulder again.  Please tell me it wasn't that and it was the plan all along.

Yes, that was the plan for Sale; 1 or 2 inns max. Well, it all worked out nicely.   7th inning magic again.  99 Ws and we've officially earned a playoff spot.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

BoSoxFanNY

Red Sox BEAT the Jays 7 - 2
AND clinch at least a playoff spot.

AND the Twins BEAT the Yankees 10 - 5!

A great night for BoSox baseball.

markj

Yanks' E# is down to 9 and they're 9 games back. They no longer own the second best record in the majors. Houston has taken that honor. And Oakland is knocking on the WC door.

I think the biggest impediment to the Sox making it to the WS is Houston, not NYY.

Bill-806

It was a good night for the GOOD GUYS & GREAT night for RED SOX NATION !!! thumb_u thumb_u rofl rofl rofl

Schloicka

The plan was for him to throw 40 pitches or 2 innings. Since he threw 26 pitches in the 1st (2 guys got on) they took him out after 1 inning as to not have to remove him in the middle of the 2nd. They didn't want him to throw any more stress pitches as they called it. He did go down to the pen and throw around 20 pitches after he came out to get his pitches in. Now they are just waiting to see how he feels. They will build his pitch count back up slowly so don't expect him to go more than 5 innings next time out. Probably less. If it was playoff time I'd expect him to be pitching more but Sox can take it easy with him for a couple games with a 9 game lead.

Bill-806

Quote from: Schloicka on September 11, 2018, 09:32:13 PM
Brasier with the win. The bullpen pitched very well. 2 runs is very good in 8 innings of relief. Sox clinched a playoff spot with the win. On to Wednesday.
As DAD would say, "SON, I like that BRASIER GUY, he will HELP in the POST SEASON" !!!!  Actually, if ya think about it, GREAT SEASONS are made from NO NAMES that come in/up and go on to have a career defining season !! thumb_u iono iono

longgame

Another win and clinch of a postseason berth.  But, they are getting shut down by every starter they face and only thriving on poor bullpens on poor teams.  Need to pick it up.  I'd also like to see Houston cool off soon.  They're on a roll.  Meanwhile the Yankees are only two ahead of the A's in the wild card race for home field. 

ipot

Quote from: longgame on September 12, 2018, 08:25:55 AM
Another win and clinch of a postseason berth.  But, they are getting shut down by every starter they face and only thriving on poor bullpens on poor teams.  Need to pick it up.  I'd also like to see Houston cool off soon.  They're on a roll.  Meanwhile the Yankees are only two ahead of the A's in the wild card race for home field.

This point is well-taken.  It's concerning how poorly they are doing against starters.  Late inning comebacks can only last so long....
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Schloicka on September 12, 2018, 05:47:31 AM

The plan was for him to throw 40 pitches or 2 innings. Since he threw 26 pitches in the 1st (2 guys got on) they took him out after 1 inning as to not have to remove him in the middle of the 2nd. They didn't want him to throw any more stress pitches as they called it. He did go down to the pen and throw around 20 pitches after he came out to get his pitches in. Now they are just waiting to see how he feels. They will build his pitch count back up slowly so don't expect him to go more than 5 innings next time out. Probably less. If it was playoff time I'd expect him to be pitching more but Sox can take it easy with him for a couple games with a 9 game lead.

Thanks George----good news to hear from my vantage point.  Yes, they can build up his pitch count as he goes along and feel no after effects from his pitching last night.  Good that we have a nine game lead, though, because it might not be that easy if we were only up two or three games.  Now if only Porcello and Eovaldi can step up big time it would be a big help.  E-Rod needs a reboot after his last game.....like the one he had vs the White Sox.  That's what I'd like to see more of from him and the rest of the second part of our rotation.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: ipot on September 12, 2018, 10:20:40 AM
Quote from: longgame on September 12, 2018, 08:25:55 AM

This point is well-taken.  It's concerning how poorly they are doing against starters.  Late inning comebacks can only last so long....

I wouldn't call it sleep walking but it sure as heck seems like they enter each game lately in some kind of trance.  They need to divest themselves of that mind set, if that's what it is, and get back to the task of taking it to the opposition as soon as possible.  I do know the club has much better team spirit than they did the past few years but they also sometimes give me the impression that they are on a lark and see no sense of urgency.  Well I do have some advice for them....If they think they can suddenly turn it on, forget it.  It can linger for a long time.  It is now time for them to rally and go out there and show who they really are supposed to be-----like how about starting that tonight??????

longgame

I'm not too worried about the team as a whole, but they need to be firing on all cylinders come playoff time.  Part of the problem is that they've been so good that when they are just winning a mere 6 out of 10 we feel like they're underachieving.  The big guys keep hitting.  Starting pitching has been a little shaky but should stabilize as guys are now coming back.  But it's really up the bottom of the lineup and the bullpen to lift us over the hump.