GAME #144, SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 9, 2018, HOUSTON ASTROS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, September 09, 2018, 08:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ipot

"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: ipot on September 09, 2018, 11:29:36 PM
Atta boy, Mitch.  Big hit gets us the W.   The flippin' pen - well, Hembree and Johnson - went belly-up again to make it interesting....

Hembree always gets himself into trouble when he lets up and starts noodling around after getting ahead of the batters.  He needs to knock some of them down to get them off balance and then put them away.  As for Johnson and Kelly, back up the truck.

Bill-806

NICE WIN as the YANK$ LOST...……     As my IDOL Jimmy DoLittle would say,  "VICTORY GOES TO THOSE WHO BELIEVE IN IT THE MOST, BELIEVE IN IT THE LONGEST" !!! thumb_u thumb_u rofl rofl rofl rofl

Bear

longgame

I think the MVP of this team is Bogaerts.  After him, nobody hits,although Moreland finally came through last night.  Bogey gets the big hits, drives in the runs and is the best defensive infielder on the team which isn't saying a lot. 

Last night they tried to shake up some of the non-productive positions and it didn't help.  Leon made the last out of I think every inning he batted in.  Then Mookie would lead off the next inning with a hit.

JDM has been great, but he's a defensive liability.  He finally delivered a big blow when needed.  Can't complain too much, but I'd rather see Bogey up in a pressure situation than JD right now. 

Sox need to find a way to get outs from the bullpen.

Bill-806

Quote from: Bear on September 10, 2018, 07:54:47 AM
I'm still not sure we're going to make it to the WS.
Come on BEAR, what did Jimmy DoLittle  SAY ????????  (see above) iono iono rofl rofl rofl rofl

markj

If the road to the WS goes through Houston, the Sox are toast.

ipot

Quote from: markj on September 10, 2018, 09:36:40 AM

If the road to the WS goes through Houston, the Sox are toast.

As much as I hate to agree, I also hope we're all wrong.   
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on September 10, 2018, 09:24:37 AM
I think the MVP of this team is Bogaerts.  After him, nobody hits,although Moreland finally came through last night.  Bogey gets the big hits, drives in the runs and is the best defensive infielder on the team which isn't saying a lot. 

Last night they tried to shake up some of the non-productive positions and it didn't help.  Leon made the last out of I think every inning he batted in.  Then Mookie would lead off the next inning with a hit.

JDM has been great, but he's a defensive liability.  He finally delivered a big blow when needed.  Can't complain too much, but I'd rather see Bogey up in a pressure situation than JD right now. 

You know, I never thought I would ever say this but I think you MAY be right on Bogaerts.  It may be a mirage but it is very possible that he has finally come of age with our team after hot and cold sessions the past couple of previous years.  If this is the start of a real hot streak it couldn't come at a better time and if he realizes that a lot of hope is resting on his shoulders he could either rise to the occasion or fire and fall back.  We need the former, and will we finally get a couple relievers who can go out there and consistently get batters out...…..not named Johnson or Kelly.

SeaBeachFred

We need Sale healthy and ready to go; we need Price pitching as he has for the past few months.  That would give us a one-two pitching punch to compare favorably with the Astros.  After that Alex needs to find his balance with the relief corps and eliminate those who we all know cannot be  trusted and it might force him to move a starter or two to the pen.  That's the only way we can measure up to Houston....AFTER we win the AL East which is right now my first and most overriding concern.  NO WILD CAR under any circumstances because for us it is a death sentence.

Cora also must decide that he has to go with the best nine hitters in the lineup and than means Leon, hitting about 185, is OUT of the lineup.  I still do not understand why he will not give Blake Swihart a long look behind the plate.  When he plays he makes consistent contact and has been robbed a few times to keep his average not where he would like it.  Yet compared to the hitless and dull Leon and leaderless Vazquez, he looks like an All Star.  If we are going to eventually hope to go far in the post season the best players have to play, the best pitchers must be put in their proper spots and the chaff must be ready when the truck is backed up to get them the hell out of Dodge.

Bill-806

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 10, 2018, 11:34:07 AM
Quote from: longgame on September 10, 2018, 09:24:37 AM

You know, I never thought I would ever say this but I think you MAY be right on Bogaerts.  It may be a mirage but it is very possible that he has finally come of age with our team after hot and cold sessions the past couple of previous years.  If this is the start of a real hot streak it couldn't come at a better time and if he realizes that a lot of hope is resting on his shoulders he could either rise to the occasion or fire and fall back.  We need the former, and will we finally get a couple relievers who can go out there and consistently get batters out...…..not named Johnson or Kelly.
The KEY for Bogey is that he is healthy this year...… Ya can't hit a baseball if your wrists & hands HURT...… John Farrell never gave him a chance to heal last year ?? iono iono iono iono

markj

Sure enough, the Twinkies are falling apart against the Yanks.

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 10, 2018, 11:41:27 AM
We need Sale healthy and ready to go; we need Price pitching as he has for the past few months.  That would give us a one-two pitching punch to compare favorably with the Astros.  After that Alex needs to find his balance with the relief corps and eliminate those who we all know cannot be  trusted and it might force him to move a starter or two to the pen.  That's the only way we can measure up to Houston....AFTER we win the AL East which is right now my first and most overriding concern.  NO WILD CAR under any circumstances because for us it is a death sentence.

Cora also must decide that he has to go with the best nine hitters in the lineup and than means Leon, hitting about 185, is OUT of the lineup.  I still do not understand why he will not give Blake Swihart a long look behind the plate.  When he plays he makes consistent contact and has been robbed a few times to keep his average not where he would like it.  Yet compared to the hitless and dull Leon and leaderless Vazquez, he looks like an All Star.  If we are going to eventually hope to go far in the post season the best players have to play, the best pitchers must be put in their proper spots and the chaff must be ready when the truck is backed up to get them the hell out of Dodge.

I'm just concerned that even with those two on their games and Porcello too for that matter, what happens after they come out? 

You're right about them needing some pop out of the bottom of the lineup and anything at all out of the catcher position.  It's a real shame they could be that bad at that plate.  Seems like on a given night Nunez or Bradley may be hitting but none of the rest.