GAME #144, SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 9, 2018, HOUSTON ASTROS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, September 09, 2018, 08:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schloicka

markj

markj

Benintendi seems to have lost the ability to hit the ball in air ever.

markj

markj

Solid AB by Holt. Bases loaded, one out. Swihart needs to avoid the GIDP and hopefully drive in a run here.

(More Capt. Obvious stuff.)

markj

Swihart looked at the one pitch over the plate. Got robbed on a pitch outside, and swung at a pitch in the dirt. In other words, a useless AB. But at least he didn't end the inning with bases loaded. Vazquez will do that now.

markj

markj

And he K's swinging at a dirtball. Nice. There went the Sox's best chance to take this game.

markj

Wow, Moreland comes through and the Sox win. Very cool. Yanks E# now down to 11.

Schloicka

Kimbrel with the win. Moreland bloops in a huge hit. And the Sox gained a game in the standings. 8.5 up now and another game off the schedule.  Guess our total collapse was short lived. On to Tuesday.

markj

If the Sox can close out the season at 8-10 (.444), then the Yanks would have to go 17-2 (.895) to keep up. I don't see that happening. Still, the Sox are liable to face the 'Stros again in the post-season and that isn't a good thing.

Schloicka

Quote from: markj on September 09, 2018, 11:07:43 PM
If the Sox can close out the season at 8-10 (.444), then the Yanks would have to go 17-2 (.895) to keep up. I don't see that happening. Still, the Sox are liable to face the 'Stros again in the post-season and that isn't a good thing.

The next 6 games are against the Jays & Mets. Should win 4/6 if the Sox can hit. Then 3 with the Yanks right after. These next 9 could decide everything or at least make it impossible for the Yanks to have any realistic chance in the division. Would like to see Sale pitch in the 3rd game of the Jays series and then in the Yankee series if not sooner.

ipot

Atta boy, Mitch.  Big hit gets us the W.   The flippin' pen - well, Hembree and Johnson - went belly-up again to make it interesting....
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on September 09, 2018, 03:45:19 PM
Well you got half your wish, Fred. Phillips is in.

Mark, tonight Brandon did not have a great game, going hitless and making an error.  That is a fact.  But I liked his presence in the lineup and feel he will contribute in subsequent games if given the chance.  I like his presence in the lineup.  He seems to play with an attitude and fire and we can use that as I have said so often.  I hope he gets some extended play there and not Devers who has not been worth much this season after a promising start late last year.  He needs to go to the instructional league and work very hard on his defense and pitch selection in my opinion.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Schloicka on September 09, 2018, 10:58:18 PM
Kimbrel with the win. Moreland bloops in a huge hit. And the Sox gained a game in the standings. 8.5 up now and another game off the schedule.  Guess our total collapse was short lived. On to Tuesday.

We're still not out of the woods George, and the fact is we did not look very good in our first two games of this series.  In fact, we kind of dip shitted around in the middle innings tonight before we brought it home.  Let's see what we do against the Blue Jays and Metes the next two home series.  We win those two sets and we should be in good shape.  Right now our bullpen and our penchant for suddenly leaving a lot of guys on the bases is a potential red alarm.  So let's see how this week shakes out. Still good to be 8.5 up again, but keep in mind who the Yankees play a three game series with starting tomorrow and how futile that team always is against the New Yorkers.  We need to start winning a few more series before we can wrap it up.