GAME #141, WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 5, 2018, BOSTON RED SOX AT ATLANTA BRAVES

Started by markj, September 04, 2018, 10:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

I did not expect the yankees to lose this game.  They're getting behinder and behinder. 
They've been there before and managed to beat us.
I was happily surprised to see Cora make a move in the right direction. ;D

elktonnick

What must be particularly worrisome for New York is that their once formidable starter Servino doesn't look good right now.

longgame

My son and I went to the game.  Was having a lot of fun talking to a Braves fan behind me and we figured this was going to be a laugher for the home team.  But the guy kept saying how he was worried about the bullpen.  Still, with a 6 run lead, we weren't expecting much.  In fact after the Braves had their big inning I jokingly said at least we can get out early and beat traffic.  Of course we didn't but may have after the 8th if we hadn't scored.  It was amazing, they couldn't be stopped.  The best part was after two games I think we saw the entire roster of position players and most of the bullpen. 

It's like I've said before, sometimes I swear Cora puts a team out thinking "I can put any combination off this roster and you'll have a tough time beating us". 

With the Yankees losing, if this wasn't done before, it's done now.  Magic number down to 12.

Bill-806

Quote from: longgame on September 06, 2018, 08:29:59 AM
My son and I went to the game.  Was having a lot of fun talking to a Braves fan behind me and we figured this was going to be a laugher for the home team.  But the guy kept saying how he was worried about the bullpen.  Still, with a 6 run lead, we weren't expecting much.  In fact after the Braves had their big inning I jokingly said at least we can get out early and beat traffic.  Of course we didn't but may have after the 8th if we hadn't scored.  It was amazing, they couldn't be stopped.  The best part was after two games I think we saw the entire roster of position players and most of the bullpen. 

It's like I've said before, sometimes I swear Cora puts a team out thinking "I can put any combination off this roster and you'll have a tough time beating us". 

With the Yankees losing, if this wasn't done before, it's done now.  Magic number down to 12.
Dats a  B I N G O  !!!! thumb_u thumb_u

longgame

Just didn't count but in the two games we saw 11 different Sox pitchers and all 17 position players on the roster!

ipot

Quote from: Bear on September 06, 2018, 05:29:48 AM
I did not expect the yankees to lose this game.  They're getting behinder and behinder. 

THe Yanks are in a rut lately, yup.

I wouldn't take Oakland lightly in the playoffs either.  That is a dangerous team.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

SeaBeachFred

It does look that th Yankees right now look very human but we can't keep hoping they lose every second or third game they play; we have to keep the line moving and win our share of games to keep the lead, even increasing it if we can, and be able  to win the AL East and prepare for the post season.  Still, it has to be one game at a time and hope that when Price and Sale come back they can pitch solid enough to give us a chance this coming fall.  It won't be a walk in the park for any team that makes it, but in the meantime we should put that out of our mind and worry just about the next game on our schedule.  And let's enjoy this breather we have today.

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 06, 2018, 02:14:51 PM
It does look that th Yankees right now look very human but we can't keep hoping they lose every second or third game they play; we have to keep the line moving and win our share of games to keep the lead, even increasing it if we can, and be able  to win the AL East and prepare for the post season.  Still, it has to be one game at a time and hope that when Price and Sale come back they can pitch solid enough to give us a chance this coming fall.  It won't be a walk in the park for any team that makes it, but in the meantime we should put that out of our mind and worry just about the next game on our schedule.  And let's enjoy this breather we have today.

The Yankees, and specifically Sanchez, looked terrible yesterday.  Their pitching is suffering and they have injuries to their best reliever and best position player.  I'm hoping Seattle makes a big push when they play them this weekend.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on September 06, 2018, 07:36:29 AM
What must be particularly worrisome for New York is that their once formidable starter Servino doesn't look good right now.

And let's keep our fingers crossed that the same thing doesn't happen to messrs Price, Sale and Rodriguez on our side.  Hopefully we get back three pitchers who can carry us deep into the playoffs-----very deep if you please.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: ipot on September 06, 2018, 11:27:23 AM

I wouldn't take Oakland lightly in the playoffs either.  That is a dangerous team.

I still don't believe the Oakland A's can overtake the Yankees for the WC spot and, besides I'm more concerned that nice lead or not we keep it and win the AL East Division Title first of all before we look too far ahead.  Still, it would be ironic if the A's did just that.

markj

Sox just need to win 10 out of their next 21 games. If they do at least that, the Yanks would have to win 20 out of their remaining 22 to tie. I can't see the Sox collapsing that badly or the Yanks playing that well.

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 06, 2018, 06:21:53 PM

I still don't believe the Oakland A's can overtake the Yankees for the WC spot and, besides I'm more concerned that nice lead or not we keep it and win the AL East Division Title first of all before we look too far ahead.  Still, it would be ironic if the A's did just that.

I think it's funny that you think the 3 1/2 game lead the Yankees have is safe but the 9 1/2 game lead the Sox have is not!

ipot

There's 2 WC spots, Fred! 

A NYY/OAK 1 game playoff is in order as of today.  Oakland, even if they have to go to the Bronx to play it, has the upper hand imho.  Right now, NYY's best starter is Tanaka.  Severino, Sabathia and the rest of their starters are struggling.   Heck, it's the WC = 1 game.  Anything is possible....
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

longgame

Quote from: ipot on September 07, 2018, 10:32:53 AM

There's 2 WC spots, Fred! 

A NYY/OAK 1 game playoff is in order as of today.  Oakland, even if they have to go to the Bronx to play it, has the upper hand imho.  Right now, NYY's best starter is Tanaka.  Severino, Sabathia and the rest of their starters are struggling.   Heck, it's the WC = 1 game.  Anything is possible....

I'd love to see it in Oakland so whoever it is has to hop on a plane and fly back East. 

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on September 07, 2018, 09:21:38 AM

I think it's funny that you think the 3 1/2 game lead the Yankees have is safe but the 9 1/2 game lead the Sox have is not!

Just the travails of a rabid and sometimes out of sorts Red Sox fan.  I also think the Yankees are a better team than the A's and believe they could overtake us if we let down and slump but they cannot cough up 3.5 games to the A's, but it you can convince me of that I'm more than ready to listen.  It would be swell for us if that did happen because I don't like the Yankees, never have and never will.