GAME #115, TUESDAY AUGUST 7, 2018, RED SOX AT TORONTO

Started by Bear, August 07, 2018, 05:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schloicka

No problem. Just like they diagrammed it. Kimbrel with the WIN. The bullpen gave up 5 runs (4 earned) & the Sox win. What more can you ask for? Going to have games like this. On to Wednesday.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on August 07, 2018, 07:50:21 PM
This game is about to get ugly. Workman is more useless than Pomeranz.

Very true markj....Workman is terrible, has been since 2014 and is one pitcher you cannot trust under any circumstances while Pomeranz needs to be sent to the pen or sent down.  The problem is who can we trust in the pen?  Kelly goes off the rails at a moment's notice, Hembree is a flip of the coin, Barnes can be a meatball most any time out even though he has been pretty good (for him) so far but could be tiring.  Who is left?  Brasier has been ok but is he trustworthy and why is Poyner still in the minors when he is better than what we have up here?  And when is Thornburg going to step up and be the set-up man we really need.  The pen could have cost us the game tonight if not for our hitters getting real hot in the late and in extra innings.  This year we are hitting with power and doing it when it is most critical.  Please, no more hitting droughts.   Well, we won and are still nine games ahead at this point with the Yanks and White Sox tied as I write this.  I don't expect the Pale Hose to win but you never can tell.  There are no bottom feeders in the league as far as I'm concerned.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Schloicka on August 07, 2018, 09:40:32 PM
No problem. Just like they diagrammed it. Kimbrel with the WIN. The bullpen gave up 5 runs (4 earned) & the Sox win. What more can you ask for? Going to have games like this. On to Wednesday.

And Bradley did some damage to put the game on ice.  We do need the bottom of the order doing their share of the heavy lifting.  This has to be a complete team effort.

ipot

All I can say is I'm happy CY Stroman got that blister and they yanked him.  The bats were helpless until then....

And the pen? Ouch!

But, heck, great teams find ways to win and that's what we did.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 07, 2018, 10:51:56 PM

Very true markj....Workman is terrible, has been since 2014 and is one pitcher you cannot trust under any circumstances while Pomeranz needs to be sent to the pen or sent down.  The problem is who can we trust in the pen?  Kelly goes off the rails at a moment's notice, Hembree is a flip of the coin, Barnes can be a meatball most any time out even though he has been pretty good (for him) so far but could be tiring.  Who is left?  Brasier has been ok but is he trustworthy and why is Poyner still in the minors when he is better than what we have up here?  And when is Thornburg going to step up and be the set-up man we really need.  The pen could have cost us the game tonight if not for our hitters getting real hot in the late and in extra innings.  This year we are hitting with power and doing it when it is most critical.  Please, no more hitting droughts.   Well, we won and are still nine games ahead at this point with the Yanks and White Sox tied as I write this.  I don't expect the Pale Hose to win but you never can tell.  There are no bottom feeders in the league as far as I'm concerned.

Workman had the best pitching line of any of them though. Everyone else gave up a run, Workman got out of it (thanks to the team behind him). 

I look at it this way, this is a game they could have easily lost and probably would have last year.  Instead they won.   One thing they can learn from this game though is that when a guy is killing you, try to take some pitches and run up his pitch count.  We didn't do anything until we got to the pen. 

Schloicka

Quote from: longgame on August 08, 2018, 08:07:28 AM

Workman had the best pitching line of any of them though. Everyone else gave up a run, Workman got out of it (thanks to the team behind him). 

I look at it this way, this is a game they could have easily lost and probably would have last year.  Instead they won.   One thing they can learn from this game though is that when a guy is killing you, try to take some pitches and run up his pitch count.  We didn't do anything until we got to the pen.

Kelly's run was unearned because of a couple errors. He only gave up a single but Beni over threw the infielder when he threw it in and the guy ended up on 2nd. The guy went to 3rd on the foolish pick off attempt that Kelly threw into center field. The guy scored on the sac fly. Kelly pitched fine. Just needed 1 less error and he doesn't give up a run. A coach should of told him to get the hitter and stop worrying about the guy at 2nd. Kelly gave up 1 hit and K'd 2.

Bill-806

WOW, the "once in a lifetime" SEASON continues !! Again, I fell asleep when we were down 3-1.....AGAIN, what a comeback !!  WHO is that  J B J guy in C F ?????? thumb_u rofl rofl

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Schloicka on August 08, 2018, 08:19:39 AM
Quote from: longgame on August 08, 2018, 08:07:28 AM

Kelly's run was unearned because of a couple errors. He only gave up a single but Beni over threw the infielder when he threw it in and the guy ended up on 2nd. The guy went to 3rd on the foolish pick off attempt that Kelly threw into center field. The guy scored on the sac fly. Kelly pitched fine. Just needed 1 less error and he doesn't give up a run. A coach should of told him to get the hitter and stop worrying about the guy at 2nd. Kelly gave up 1 hit and K'd 2.

Very true George but I looked at the game last night with a strange feeling of foreboding.  We couldn't do anything against Stroman and then had trouble holding a lead once we got it.  But  you hit a homer with that statement about last year.  In my opinion in 2017 we would have lost this game.

Bear

I didn't think we'd win this one...but why?  Their pitching was good...at least for
a short period of time.  And then, poof, we woke up.  Bradley is pretty good when
it's hot/muggy.
Hopefully we can do it again tonite.
BEAR