GAME #103, TUESDAY, JULY 24, 2018, BOSTON RED SOX AT BALTIMORE ORIOLES

Started by longgame, July 24, 2018, 03:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

I've had about all I can take from Joe Kelly.  I don't know if that accident he had is the reason for his ineptness but we cannot count on this guy at all.  Every time the guy takes the hill it results in a nightmare.  Relief help is needed and for that matter we cannot afford any more pathetic performances from Pomeranz.  He has been simply shitty this season and is just not ready to get out Major League hitters and may not ever be.  Hopefully this season will be the last we see of him.   JUST A MISERABLE NIGHT FOR US....and this game is toast.

And we lost the game we gained last night.  I also don't know what DD is waiting for.  Relievers are falling like ripe oranges and we've done nothing so far to remedy our bullpen woes.  And is it true the Orioles traded for Zach Britton????  Just what they needed, another top notch reliever for their already solid bullpen while we have to stomach bums like Kelly and Thornburg.

markj

markj

Moreland with a nice grab waaaay down the right field line.

BoSoxFanNY

Have to agree that Joe Kelly IS a mess.
He needs to go on the DL or something.
Don't trust him anymore.

markj

Moreland was instrumental in all three outs that inning. The foul ball he caught and two very nice picks out of the dirt on throws.

markj

Close, but no cigar. Mookie ends the game on a GIDP. Fitting end, I suppose. Blame this one on the crappy pitching.

BoSoxFanNY

OHHHHH Mookie.

Sox got within a run
JBJ singled and got to second on a throwing error, Holt grounds out
and get JBJ to third, Devers hits a RBI single. 7 - 6
Swihart walks,  Sox had men on first and second, one out
AND Mookie grounds into a double play.

Game over . . .
DANG IT, thought they might have had a rally in them. . .

Pomeranz will get the loss
AND Joe Kelly deserved to get the loss.

BoSoxFanNY

Quote from: markj on July 24, 2018, 09:43:52 PM
Close, but no cigar. Mookie ends the game on a GIDP. Fitting end, I suppose. Blame this one on the crappy pitching.

Yup.
Sox need pitching at the trade deadline -
Relief pitching and another Starter

BoSoxFanNY

Looks like Zach Britton may be going to the Yankees.
There is reporting that a trade is in the works.
DANG IT

ipot

Thankfully, on DFA day at Fenway, the Sox will have a light load: Pomeranz and Kelly.   Neither of these guys should throw another pitch in a Sox uniform again.  Kelly is a lost cause.  Pomeranz is unreliable and couldn't pull out a decent rehab start against the AAA O's.

Of course, we won't W every game until October, but winnable games like this are what's frustrating as heck. 

Yes, we need a starter and a relief pitcher.

"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bill-806

As DAD would say, "SON, ya can't WIN them all, but you sure as HE// have to beat the BALTIMORES, NO ICE CREAM TONIGHT" !!! thumb_d iono iono rofl rofl rofl rofl

longgame

Kelly clearly has something wrong and is due for a DL trip.  He's done this before.  I didn't watch him closely enough last night, but I have noticed that he gets away from throwing the fastball for strikes and then starts to throw all sorts of crap he can't command.  That puts him behind in counts and makes him vulnerable.

Pomeranz is a concern because he doesn't have any pop on his fastball (he was never a hard thrower to begin with) and he left a couple of hanging curves up there which is too bad because he had some good bite to it when I saw him last week.  Not sure if he just needs a tweak after working with the pitching coach. 

elktonnick

While I was unable to watch Pomerantz pitch last night I have seen enough of him pitch to know that he is someone who not only has trouble repeating his delivering but as Jim Kaat noted doesn't use his lower body and legs efficiently to push off the rubber properly.

Regarding Kelly, I think his problems are all mental.  He is someone who needs a strong personality behind the plate calling pitches.

Bill-806

Quote from: elktonnick on July 25, 2018, 08:47:37 AM
While I was unable to watch Pomerantz pitch last night I have seen enough of him pitch to know that he is someone who not only has trouble repeating his delivering but as Jim Kaat noted doesn't use his lower body and legs efficiently to push off the rubber properly.

Regarding Kelly, I think his problems are all mental.  He is someone who needs a strong personality behind the plate calling pitches.
B I N G O !!!  Move them both OUT !!  D D needs to tweak a bit...…  OH YES, how far are they going to get in the POST SEASON with DEVERS ????? iono iono iono