GAME #98, SUNDAY, JULY 15, 2018, TORONTO BLUE JAYS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, July 15, 2018, 10:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

Has to be the best “first half” I can recall.  Plus the Sox pulled off this run while limping into the break.  A few days off will be helpful for a lot of the guys.

Bill-806

Quote from: longgame on July 15, 2018, 05:49:16 PM
Has to be the best “first half” I can recall.  Plus the Sox pulled off this run while limping into the break.  A few days off will be helpful for a lot of the guys.
B I N G O !!!  As DAD would say, "SON, It's all about APRIL & MAY, those games have consequences "  !!!! What a great first half !!! Get some well deserved time off !!! thumb_u thumb_u rofl rofl rofl rofl

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: BoSoxFanNY on July 15, 2018, 03:29:40 PM
YAHOOOOOO!

Sox beat the Jays 5 - 2.

Sox finish off the first part of the season with a record of 68 - 30.
4 1/2 games up on the Yankees (Thank you Cleveland!)

Going into the All Star Break - our Sox went 13 - 1.
I'll happily take it.

Telling all of you out there something you already know but worth telling anyway.  Our 68-30 record is an outstanding piece of work and so glad it finally has resulted in a little daylight between us and them.  Under normal conditions  with a record like that we'd be 12-15 games ahead of the pack but it is what it is because the Yankees have a very good team.  Let's head up, get Benny back from bereavement, Devers off the DL and Pearce healthy and we might be able to get more than the six hits we got today.  BUT WE MADE THE MOST OUT OF THEM just as the Yankees did earlier in the season when they got five to seven hits over a 30 game span and won seemingly most of those games. 

We should also give some kudos  to Bogaerts and Bradley for stepping up and picking up the slack for our injured players.  On Saturday, Jackie doubles in the tying run in the 9th and Xander grannies a victory in the tenth.  Today Bogey and Holt get us off to a  two run lead and after the Blue Jays tie it, JBJ drives in the tie breaking run to put ahead for keeps.  Players who can pick up the slack for others  usually means the team might be on their way to something good.  We ended the first half (plus a little more) in pretty good shape record wise.  Now to get our guys back on the field.

SeaBeachFred

You know Ted, I'd love to know when Wright and Pomeranz will be back pitching for us because with E-Rod out now for who know how long I think Dombrowski needs to look into  getting a decent starting pitcher as well as a solid reliever who can become our eighth inning man----like that guy from Baltimore??????  Hopefully the next few days can see us heal up some and be ready for the second half.

ipot

Not in our wildest dreams would we be thinking THIS GOOD from our Sox at the ASB.  Just amazing.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

markj

Sox are just shy of .700 ball. Simply amazing. I'm eating crow after insinuating they were a .500 team a few weeks ago.

That said, the pundits who say baseball is in a tailspin have a point. Too many teams are cratering big time. Look at Baltimore at nearly 40 games behind. Something is very wrong there and MLB seems in no mood to investigate. Intentionally tanking a team's chances is fraud. Plain and simple.

Bill-806

REST up Boys & get HEALTHY  !!!   D D, needs to work some MAGIC...… I do like that Brian Braiseer !! thumb_u thumb_u

longgame

What is amazing to me is that at this point last year we kept talking about lost opportunities and how unlikeable this team was.  While I question some of Cora's in game moves, I can't question the turnaround in the team.  Sure Martinez makes a big presence in the lineup, but when you think about it, they basically replaced Hanley with JD and are otherwise mostly the same team.  Winning makes a difference of course.  But Cora has done something to get these guys to enjoy playing the game and it shows.  We'll know more when they get to the end, it's too early to celebrate now, but this team finds ways to win instead of one bad play or a an off day tanking the whole team. 

elktonnick

Quote from: markj on July 15, 2018, 10:45:12 PM
Sox are just shy of .700 ball. Simply amazing. I'm eating crow after insinuating they were a .500 team a few weeks ago.

That said, the pundits who say baseball is in a tailspin have a point. Too many teams are cratering big time. Look at Baltimore at nearly 40 games behind. Something is very wrong there and MLB seems in no mood to investigate. Intentionally tanking a team's chances is fraud. Plain and simple.

Baltimore is a mess because they have the worst owner in Baseball.  Since Angelos bought the club the Orioles have been on a steady decline.  No competent baseball exec wants to work for him. Dan Duquette went there after no one else would hire him to rehabilitate his reputation and he did so.  The Jays wanted to hire him and Angelos wouldn't let him go and you see the result since.

Sholwalter and the GM can't stand one another.  Brady Anderson has some ill defined role so Duquette isn't allowed any real decisionmaking on his own.  The Angelos sons also have some malevolent influence on baseball decisions and operations.  Angelos several years ago for some crazy reason before Duquette's arrival dismantled their Latin American scouting operation.

The Orioles are a textbook example of how to destroy a once proud and competent sports franchise.

Bill-806

Quote from: elktonnick on July 16, 2018, 08:58:30 AM

Baltimore is a mess because they have the worst owner in Baseball.  Since Angelos bought the club the Orioles have been on a steady decline.  No competent baseball exec wants to work for him. Dan Duquette went there after no one else would hire him to rehabilitate his reputation and he did so.  The Jays wanted to hire him and Angelos wouldn't let him go and you see the result since.

Sholwalter and the GM can't stand one another.  Brady Anderson has some ill defined role so Duquette isn't allowed any real decisionmaking on his own.  The Angelos sons also have some malevolent influence on baseball decisions and operations.  Angelos several years ago for some crazy reason before Duquette's arrival dismantled their Latin American scouting operation.

The Orioles are a textbook example of how to destroy a once proud and competent sports franchise.
Very TRUE & SAD at the same time...…… MLB better keep their EYE on the fact that 2/3rd's of the clubs are in trouble...… On the field & at the BANK !! thumb_d iono iono iono

SeaBeachFred

What you're saying about the tanking is very true and bad for baseball Markj but being a very provincial fan it doesn't even faze me because all I care about are the Red Sox and don't give a hoot in hell about any other the other teams in the league.  I do give some thought to the Cubs who I have followed in the other circuit for about seven years but I stop there.  As long as the Red Sox are winning that makes my day.  Now that  may sound self-serving but it is what is is.

rkarp

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 15, 2018, 08:28:09 PM

You know Ted, I'd love to know when Wright and Pomeranz will be back pitching for us because with E-Rod out now for who know how long I think Dombrowski needs to look into  getting a decent starting pitcher as well as a solid reliever who can become our eighth inning man----like that guy from Baltimore??????  Hopefully the next few days can see us heal up some and be ready for the second half.

Seriously, what did you do with SBFred and where did he go? You are clearly not him.
Wright had a set back. Minor, but still a set back. Should be activated and ready after the break however. Pomm is ready, but having difficulty repeating his delivery. unless absolutely needed, he most likely gets another Pawtucket start

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: rkarp on July 16, 2018, 01:22:08 PM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 15, 2018, 08:28:09 PM

Seriously, what did you do with SBFred and where did he go? You are clearly not him.
Wright had a set back. Minor, but still a set back. Should be activated and ready after the break however. Pomm is ready, but having difficulty repeating his delivery. unless absolutely needed, he most likely gets another Pawtucket start

He went nowhere.  I'm right here.  And if Wright is ready to come back that would really be a big help to us.  He had only one bad start for us before he went back on the shelf.

Bill-806

Is it FRIDAY YET ??????? iono iono rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl