GAME #68, TUESDAY, JUNE 12, 2018, BOSTON RED SOX AT BALTIMORE ORIOLES

Started by markj, June 12, 2018, 01:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schloicka

Quote from: BoSoxFanNY on June 12, 2018, 10:06:12 PM
Quote from: markj on June 12, 2018, 10:04:59 PM
Argh. Kimbrel just is not sharp when it isn't a save situation.

Wonder WHY he used him tonight?

Was either Kimbrel or Haley. Closer's have a bad night once in a while. Hopefully that's his bad night for a while. Our relievers tonight were making it interesting but managed to get it done. On to Wednesday.

BoSoxFanNY

SO GLAD the Sox won!

Just looked at the standings (I know, silly)
Yanks are on top statistically -
The Sox have played 6 more games than the Yankees -
THAT is just bizarre at this point of the season . . .

markj

SeaBeachFred

I thought this game would never end.  What was it, about four hours.  Of course Eduardo had to throw a ton of pitches again.  Think of how effective he would be and how he could save the bullpen if he didn't always seem to go 2-2 or 3-2 on almost every damn batter.  A couple of dongs tonight helped and we had to win this game because the Yankees beat a very overrated Washington team and their star 228 hitter.  Oh yes, Bradley, another 0 for 4 and down to 185.  They need to sit him down at long last.  How much longer do we have to endure this stiff in the lineup.  Save for three very hot streaks he has been a total wastrel at the plate since 2014 and now he appears worse than ever. Get him the hell out of there.  OTOH, Vazquez got two hits tonight and maybe he is going to turn a corner or sorts and start contributing.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on June 12, 2018, 10:07:14 PM
Well it's over. Could have skipped the drama.

You said it mark.  Tomorrow we go for a sweep, something we have had miserable luck doing and I'm beginning to wonder if the team lets down in these final games of a series.  We won't have Kimbrel tomorrow and no way he should throw so it is up to the rest of the pen to get the job done.  As for Mookie, it is high time he gets his ass back in the lineup and stays there.  Then maybe we get another good hitter in the lineup at long last and an opportunity to finally bench that 185 non hitting stiff who looks worse than ever at the plate----another 0 for 4 tonight.

ipot

Crikey!  Thank the baseball gods for balks and walking runners in or we would've struggled to beat the O's 2X in a row...actually, we did... ::)
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bill-806

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on June 12, 2018, 05:29:31 PM
Quote from: Bill-806 on June 12, 2018, 05:21:34 PM
Better "SAFE than SORRY" with MOOKIE !!! iono iono

That's bullshit!!!!!!  One game back and he wants out again?  Crap on that.  He should be totally healed by now as he said yesterday and if it isn't him it is once again Cora babying one of his players like the pablum sucking dud that he is.  He's rested enough of our players and the fact that we are fighting for our lives now that we are in a June type swoon only adds to the pall that is being cast over our team.  Mookie can't for doesn't want to play, Bora Cora doesn't want him to play----one thing or another.  It is always something with this team.  In my opinion if Joe Maddon was our manager we'd be five or six games ahead by now.  This shit is getting more sickening by the day.
Mookie & the SOX are always "nicked up" as they are always flying thru the air and crashing hard to the ground or wall...…  Can't hit if you are in pain !!! (don't laugh) iono iono rofl rofl rofl

elktonnick

I know Devers makes more than his share of errors but from what I have seen the vast majority of his errors are from inexperience at this level.  In all fairness I have seen him make some outstanding defensive plays. The shift makes it tough on an inexperienced ballplayer.  But that being said I have seen consistent improvement.  He will be an excellent defensive ballplayer.  But he has to work out his issues in the majors.

Bill-806

Quote from: elktonnick on June 13, 2018, 07:27:28 AM
I know Devers makes more than his share of errors but from what I have seen the vast majority of his errors are from inexperience at this level.  In all fairness I have seen him make some outstanding defensive plays. The shift makes it tough on an inexperienced ballplayer.  But that being said I have seen consistent improvement.  He will be an excellent defensive ballplayer.  But he has to work out his issues in the majors.
CONCUR !!! thumb_u

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on June 13, 2018, 07:27:28 AM

Mike Lowell made the comment a couple of weeks ago about how he was in AA ball when he was Devers age, as are most guys.  This guy has almost no pro baseball experience short of the majors.  He certainly has potential and maybe is finding his swing again, but his defense has been an adventure.  What I see is that he can get to a lot of balls and that's a big thing and that most of his errors are throwing errors.  The good news is that he's got a strong arm, he just needs to get some better throws or in some cases not throw at all.

As for the rest of the team, some good luck always helps against bad teams and walks and balks are among them.  I was talking to a buddy when Barnes walked the first guy he faced knowing it could lead to disaster but Kelly bailed him out nicely.  Kimbrel was up and down the night before so was probably going to pitch almost no matter what.

elktonnick

90% of his throwing errors are because of his rushing his throw.  He is adjusting to the speed of the game at this level.

SeaBeachFred

Elk might have something there.  I would like nothing better than for Devers to succeed and hope his homer last night is a indication that he might be finally getting his offensive work in order.