GAME #36, WEDNESDAY, MAY 9, 2018, BOSTON RED SOX AT NEW YORK YANKEES

Started by Bear, May 09, 2018, 03:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoSoxFanNY

WHAT A KICK IN THE GUT.

Thought when Hanley hit that home run and the score was 6 - 5
that the Sox might eek out a win tonight.

SO disappointed in Kimbrel.

AND YET, even I know not to bring Kimbrel in with
men on base.  Needed him to get five outs?

WONDER why they didn't bring in Kelly to pitch the 8th inning -
he may have wanted to redeem himself from last night.

The Yankees ARE the better team at the moment.

DAMN

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Rob from Mass on May 09, 2018, 06:39:33 PM
Quote from: markj on May 09, 2018, 06:36:29 PM
Moreland hits a 2-run dinger. What a great idea putting him in the lineup tonight. Who would have thought?  ;) thumb_u

Maybe he will get more playing time now.

don't count on it Rob.  Remember who is managing the team and who the owner is.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on May 09, 2018, 09:53:28 PM
Was a close game until Meatball Matt came in. Oh well. Yanks in 1st place, Sox on their way down. Maybe they'll salvage something tomorrow.

mark, we has runners on second and third in the 8th with only one out.  A good team gets at least one of those runners home and maybe two and maybe a big rally after that.  Instead we choked and the Yankees didn't.  And Cora does not understand or hasn't been told that you DON'T PUT THE MEATBALL IN A CLOSE GAME TRYING TO HOLD A ONE RUN LEAD---ESPECIALLY AGAINST THE Yankees.  Well we know why we refer to Barnes at a meatball.  We need a name for Cora now.  I don't think dumb shit would go over well though.

BoSoxFanNY

THIS kind of game is the Yankees MO this past week.
They feast on the relievers.

IN HINDSIGHT, last night was the better pitched game.

DAMN - I hoped that they would win tonight.

DAMN - truly feel sick.

(Congratulations to the CELTICS, ON to the Eastern Championships.)

markj

Yeah, Celtics are a surprise. I expected them to fade early and the Bruins to go deep. Not how it turned out.

BoSoxFanNY

Quote from: markj on May 09, 2018, 10:22:27 PM
Yeah, Celtics are a surprise. I expected them to fade early and the Bruins to go deep. Not how it turned out.

Agree!

ipot

Quote from: BoSoxFanNY on May 09, 2018, 10:03:24 PM
WHAT A KICK IN THE GUT.

DAMN

You make EXACTLY the right point, bo.  Do NOT bring out Kimbrel with men on base AND a 5 out save.  I'd have lived with it if was Kelly and they lost.  It just makes Cora look too cavalier in his decisions.  He's gambling way too much for my comfort level.  Obviously, Fred's not a fan so far...
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bill-806

The world is coming to an end as the EVIL EMPIRE strikes back !!! thumb_d

Sea Dog 23

This has been coming for a year or so.  Cashman made some brilliant moves with those two relief pitchers Miller and Chapman, got six or more great prospects that are now producing.  They will have to hope the pitching stays healthy.  Capt. Obvious at your service.

BoSoxFanNY

Quote from: ipot on May 10, 2018, 12:15:43 AM
Quote from: BoSoxFanNY on May 09, 2018, 10:03:24 PM
WHAT A KICK IN THE GUT.

DAMN

You make EXACTLY the right point, bo.  Do NOT bring out Kimbrel with men on base AND a 5 out save.  I'd have lived with it if was Kelly and they lost.  It just makes Cora look too cavalier in his decisions.  He's gambling way too much for my comfort level.  Obviously, Fred's not a fan so far...

I think I heard (could be wrong) that Cora didn't want to use Kelly
two days in a row.  WHAT????
TWO frustrating losses.
BOTH games were winnable games too.

Living in New York - I hear about the Yankees all the time
on Sports talk and follow their games sometimes (to hopefully watch them lose)
AND they have been feasting on relief pitchers.
They did that to Houston and Cleveland.

longgame

Maybe because Cora didn't watch these guys all last year, but anyone who has knows a couple of things - Barnes is great in non-pressure situations but if he shows any sign of weakness you need to take him out right away, and Kimbrel can only pitch when it's a save situation coming in clean in the 9th.  Also, what anyone should know is you need a plan for a game like that - i.e. you don't over use your setup guy so you don't have him when he's needed (Kelly).  This bullpen is really bad and they need to find answers.  Thornburg may be part of it but they have more problems than one guy.

Bill-806

Quote from: longgame on May 10, 2018, 02:20:30 PM
Maybe because Cora didn't watch these guys all last year, but anyone who has knows a couple of things - Barnes is great in non-pressure situations but if he shows any sign of weakness you need to take him out right away, and Kimbrel can only pitch when it's a save situation coming in clean in the 9th.  Also, what anyone should know is you need a plan for a game like that - i.e. you don't over use your setup guy so you don't have him when he's needed (Kelly).  This bullpen is really bad and they need to find answers.  Thornburg may be part of it but they have more problems than one guy.
Very true, they have 2 or 3 in the B P that are always iffie at best......   D D needs to try and peddle them for younger, stronger potential...... The other thing, all of the walking wooded are question marks at best, but when they come back others will have to go & we don't even know if the ones coming back have anything left ....  Pedey. Thornberg ???