ALDS GAME #2, SATURDAY, OCTOBER 6, 2018, NY YANKEES AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by longgame, October 06, 2018, 02:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ipot

"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

markj

Nothing like post-season pressure to show you how inadequate your bullpen is. Although truth be told, it's hard to beat the Yankees when you only score 2 runs.

elktonnick

Quote from: ipot on October 06, 2018, 10:17:45 PM
Quote from: markj on October 06, 2018, 09:13:02 PM
If this goes back to NY tied, I can't see the Sox moving on. The remaining available arms in the rotation will get pummeled in Yankee Stadium.

This series is over.  Houston is winning the WS anyway.  We simply don't have a rotation to compete in 5 or 7 game sample sizes.  David "The Pathetic" Price is a bona fide disaster, as is E- Rod.   We have an "OK" Porcello, Sale, and Eovaldi.  Not enough to win in the playoffs.

It will be cool to see the Astros repeat.  Repeat winners haven't happened in a while.

I certainly agree with you about both Price and E-Rod.  I still haven't forgiven Price for the the Eckersley fiasco.  Price is for me not likeable.  As for E-Rod he is another Pomerantz only dumber.  I 've always considered E-Rod one of the dumbest pitchers I've seen.  He may be a smart guy but he pitches stupidly

longgame

A very disappointing performance.  It seems like they came out with intensity yesterday and once Sale came out they just crumbled. 

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on October 06, 2018, 10:35:34 PM
If this goes back to NY tied, I can't see the Sox moving on. The remaining available arms in the rotation will get pummeled in Yankee Stadium.

This series is over.  Houston is winning the WS anyway.  We simply don't have a rotation to compete in 5 or 7 game sample sizes.  David "The Pathetic" Price is a bona fide disaster, as is E- Rod.   We have an "OK" Porcello, Sale, and Eovaldi.  Not enough to win in the playoffs.

It will be cool to see the Astros repeat.  Repeat winners haven't happened in a while.

I certainly agree with you about both Price and E-Rod.  I still haven't forgiven Price for the the Eckersley fiasco.  Price is for me not likeable.  As for E-Rod he is another Pomerantz only dumber.  I 've always considered E-Rod one of the dumbest pitchers I've seen.  He may be a smart guy but he pitches stupidly

They can start by getting a pitching coach who was a pitcher.  Very unusual to have one who didn’t pitch and it is showing now in that these guys can’t put together pitches and execute. 

So we can start the list - at least 3 new starters, an entire new bullpen, a major league level catcher and someone who doesn’t bring a frying pan to 3B.

ipot

Quote from: longgame on October 06, 2018, 10:38:16 PM

They can start by getting a pitching coach who was a pitcher.  Very unusual to have one who didn’t pitch and it is showing now in that these guys can’t put together pitches and execute. 

So we can start the list - at least 3 new starters, an entire new bullpen, a major league level catcher and someone who doesn’t bring a frying pan to 3B.

I couldn't agree more.  It's a hefty list of needs.  And, in spit of 108 Ws, we can look to a so-so September as the month these problems started to wash ashore...
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

markj

And why the hell is Holt sitting on the bench? I mean Cora PH's Raffy for Leon? That's one useless bat for another. Why not PH Holt and then leave him in the game? What on earth is Cora thinking PH'ing Raffy for anyone? 

Sitting Holt in this game is like Belichick sitting Malcolm Butler in last year's Super Bowl. Just dumb.

markj

Nunez looks at strike 3. Nice. Not like we needed a run or anything.

markj

Perfect way to end the game. With the Red Sox classic GIDP. Go ahead and start wrapping up Fenway for the winter because they're done playing baseball there.

ipot

Quote from: markj on October 06, 2018, 10:44:56 PM
And why the hell is Holt sitting on the bench? I mean Cora PH's Raffy for Leon? That's one useless bat for another. Why not PH Holt and then leave him in the game? What on earth is Cora thinking PH'ing Raffy for anyone? 

Sitting Holt in this game is like Belichick sitting Malcolm Butler in last year's Super Bowl. Just dumb.

Cora was clueless tonight.  I think he gambled a lot on Price The Disaster actually pitching a good game.  After that went out the window, he had no real plan.  E-Rod The Choke did no him no favors.  Our bats have score 2 runs in 13 inns.
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

ipot

--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on October 06, 2018, 09:53:32 PM
Cora needs to call them out on their toughness.  They’re getting embarrassed.

Thank you Ted.  I finally heard someone question the team's toughness.  I have said often that our team lacks toughness, leadership and stick tuitiveness.  Yes, we have come from behind often this past season but we get into a funk and simply wallow away.  I didn't see the game tonight as I was a guest at the 40th reunion of one of the high school classes I taught.  They treated me a helluva lot better than the Red Sox did tonight and I wonder if he have what it takes to come back on Monday and hand the Yankees a taste of their own medicine in their home park.  What makes me think they cannot do it?

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on October 06, 2018, 10:38:16 PM

The question is how much is Prune Face willing to spend and whether he first will resign Sale to a new contract so that he can anchor our rotation.  That is  must.  A new pitching coach who knows pitching instead of some crony of the prune or Cora.  As good as Leon is in blocking pitches he is a total waste on offense and that goes for Vazquez too. They both suck.  You heard it here first....the Giants are rebuilding and I think they will make Buster Posey available in a trade.  The guy can play first as well as catcher, he can still hit and should hit more HR's playing 81 games at Fenway and, most of all, he is a real leader who knows how to win.  We must get three new relievers, and, yes, we have to hope that Price eeks out of that contract so we can use the money to  retool and get some players who are tough and pitchers who can pitch.  I also believe that Devers is tradeable and we need to get him out of town before he backtracks any more and winds up becoming untradeable as Bradley had become.....and most likely with his 230 batting average still is.  Nunez out.

SeaBeachFred

Siting one of our hottest hitters in September even against a righty tonight was a head scratcher and for that Cora ought to be his head handed to him, but we didn't hit, we didn't pitch and we didn't fight hard if what I've read is true.

Bill-806

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on October 07, 2018, 12:59:09 AM

Siting one of our hottest hitters in September even against a righty tonight was a head scratcher and for that Cora ought to be his head handed to him, but we didn't hit, we didn't pitch and we didn't fight hard if what I've read is true.
B I N G O ………. Holt on the bench ??? A head scratcher  for sure...…  & PRICE is so predictable with every pitch "hard & on/around the plate, figure it out DAVID, check swings are H R's too !! iono iono iono iono