GAME #14, SATURDAY, APRIL 14, 2018, ORIOLES AT RED SOX

Started by Bear, April 14, 2018, 01:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schloicka

Quote from: markj on April 14, 2018, 04:10:35 PM
Why was that a save situation?

They credit him with a save because he pitched 3 or more innings without giving up the lead to end the game. Odd way to get a save but it is what it is.

elktonnick

Quote from: Schloicka on April 14, 2018, 04:47:00 PM

They credit him with a save because he pitched 3 or more innings without giving up the lead to end the game. Odd way to get a save but it is what it is.
It goes back to 1969 when they first introduced the save as an official stat, although they have been informally using the term back in the fifties.  In fact the "first" official recorded save was a three inning save.

Bill-806

Quote from: elktonnick on April 14, 2018, 04:40:53 PM
Quote from: Bill-806 on April 14, 2018, 02:15:52 PM
Quote from: Leesam01 on April 14, 2018, 02:12:41 PM
AMAZING catch by JBJ in RF.
It CERTAINLY was and to THINK that some of our ARM CHAIR  G M's would like to DUMP him !!!!! thumb_u iono iono iono iono rofl rofl rofl rofl
Look JBJ is a fine defensive outfield, very good in fact.  But he isn't the best defensive outfielder.  He isn't even the best defensive centerfielder in the division.  Keirmaier of the Rays and Pilar of the Jays are better.  Bradley isn't even ranked among the top ten centerfielders in baseball by the MLB network.  If one looks at him this way it can reasonably be argued that Bradley is an above average defensive centerfielder, nothing more.  He does make some spectacular catches from time to time.  But he frequently finds himself out of position.  In short Red Sox fans tend to over rate some of their ballplayers in part because of the media hype.
That is a WOW !!! The RED SOX are 12 & 2..... How are the RAYS doing ??? thumb_d iono iono iono iono rofl rofl rofl rofl

markj

Thanks, Geo.

markj

Quote from: elktonnick on April 14, 2018, 05:32:41 PM

It goes back to 1969 when they first introduced the save as an official stat, although they have been informally using the term back in the fifties.  In fact the "first" official recorded save was a three inning save.

Interesting. I've always thought a save required no more than a 3 run lead. Learn something new every day.

ipot

Quote from: markj on April 14, 2018, 06:21:03 PM
Quote from: elktonnick on April 14, 2018, 05:32:41 PM

Interesting. I've always thought a save required no more than a 3 run lead. Learn something new every day.

Wow.  Make that 2 of us.  Thanks schlock and elk.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

ipot

If true about Mookie having a foot contusion and day-to-day, all good news.

Credit to Velasquez with another well pitched game. 
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on April 14, 2018, 04:40:53 PM
Quote from: Bill-806 on April 14, 2018, 02:15:52 PM
Quote from: Leesam01 on April 14, 2018, 02:12:41 PM
AMAZING catch by JBJ in RF.
It CERTAINLY was and to THINK that some of our ARM CHAIR  G M's would like to DUMP him !!!!! thumb_u iono iono iono iono rofl rofl rofl rofl
Look JBJ is a fine defensive outfield, very good in fact.  But he isn't the best defensive outfielder.  He isn't even the best defensive centerfielder in the division.  Keirmaier of the Rays and Pilar of the Jays are better.  Bradley isn't even ranked among the top ten centerfielders in baseball by the MLB network.  If one looks at him this way it can reasonably be argued that Bradley is an above average defensive centerfielder, nothing more.  He does make some spectacular catches from time to time.  But he frequently finds himself out of position.  In short Red Sox fans tend to over rate some of their ballplayers in part because of the media hype.

I'll let you say that Elk because if I do a couple of jokers here will climb all over me and say it is because I don't like JBJ---which I don't.......as a hitter.  He is a fine defensive CF but not as great as he is made out to be.  And you're right about Kermaier.  That guy is a tremendous center fielder.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: ipot on April 14, 2018, 06:28:41 PM
If true about Mookie having a foot contusion and day-to-day, all good news.

Credit to Velasquez with another well pitched game.

IPOT---Cora was on his game today.  I say that because in the fifth inning I saw three balls hit on the screws by the Orioles, including Alverez' bomb and I shouted to the TV......GET SOMEONE UP CORA.  He replaced Velasquez in the sixth so he was seeing what most of us were.  Vel was losing it somewhat and was replaced at the right time......  Just look at what happened to the Braves today.  Ahead 10-2 against the Cubs, they went with their starter a tad too long and didn't put their best relievers in and wound up getting torched for nine runs in the eighth and with it the ball game.  To me you just have to be pro-active.  Any team can beat you if you dilly dally.

Bill-806

As DAD would say.... "SON, how about our RED SOX, a real JUG/A/NOT" !!! Go SOX, hope the weather improves for Sunday & PATRIOTS DAY MONDAY !!!! thumb_u rofl rofl rofl