GAME #13, FRIDAY, APRIL 13, 2018, ORIOLES AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, April 12, 2018, 11:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill-806

Quote from: Bill-806 on April 14, 2018, 08:10:02 AM
Quote from: Rob from Mass on April 14, 2018, 07:55:07 AM
Quote from: Bear on April 14, 2018, 01:34:18 AM
Benintendi just started hitting against the Yankees and Cora kept him out.
He should be playing every day until he warms up.  Cora needs to learn
some players need the work.

Cora has a LOT learn.
At  11 & 2 ????   Best start since 1918..... thumb_u iono iono iono
And that was 6 years after the TITANIC went down !! iono iono rofl rofl rofl

longgame

Cora surely has a lot to learn.  The bullpen is going to be a challenge between his inexperience and the fact that it seems pretty weak to me.  I think I said elsewhere it's the one glaring weakness right now.  He has to learn how far he can trust guys right now, but if you've got a lead, you should have a guy set up for each inning.  The only guy I'm sure about is Kimbrel, but I don't know who I trust to pitch the 7th or 8th.

It will take some time to assess the hitting and see where guys start to settle in, but with the offense rolling, it's not where I'm going to worry right now. 

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on April 14, 2018, 11:31:34 AM
Cora surely has a lot to learn.  The bullpen is going to be a challenge between his inexperience and the fact that it seems pretty weak to me.  I think I said elsewhere it's the one glaring weakness right now.  He has to learn how far he can trust guys right now, but if you've got a lead, you should have a guy set up for each inning.  The only guy I'm sure about is Kimbrel, but I don't know who I trust to pitch the 7th or 8th.

It will take some time to assess the hitting and see where guys start to settle in, but with the offense rolling, it's not where I'm going to worry right now.

Said the same thing yesterday myself Ted.  That bullpen really keeps me on edge.  We MUST find two solid relievers to get us through the seventh and eighth innings----and right now we don't have any such animals.  We need to find them.

elktonnick

When Thornburg, Wright and Pomerantz get back the bullpen will get reinforcements.  I think the FO will let thing play out until then.  I don't see them in any rush to make any moves at this time especially given the team's obvious hot streak

Bill-806

Quote from: elktonnick on April 14, 2018, 04:44:07 PM
When Thornburg, Wright and Pomerantz get back the bullpen will get reinforcements.  I think the FO will let thing play out until then.  I don't see them in any rush to make any moves at this time especially given the team's obvious hot streak
They better be ready to PITCH !! iono iono

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on April 14, 2018, 04:44:07 PM

I think the Red Sox will also mark time since things are going so well, but I don't like the idea of Wright in the bullpen.  Do you????  Pomeranz will replace someone in the rotation but who?  Johnson most likely and he might be a possible reliever when he is replaced in the rotation.   Thornburg?  I hope he performs better than Smith has because Carson still looks like he is trying to remember how to pitch.  Still when all is said and done Elk, I look at that 12-2 record and feel pretty good about it.  One warning, though.  We must not let up on the Orioles and take them lightly because we know what they did to the Yankees last weekend.  We must keep the line moving.

elktonnick

I love the knuckleball.  I would definitely be comfortable using him coming out of the pen.  Remember Hoyt Wilhelm was both a starter and a reliever and a terrific one at that.  In fact I could see the Sox using Wright in long relief or as a 6 or 7 inning guy.  I would only use him to start an inning or with no one on.

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on April 14, 2018, 08:28:37 PM
I love the knuckleball.  I would definitely be comfortable using him coming out of the pen.  Remember Hoyt Wilhelm was both a starter and a reliever and a terrific one at that.  In fact I could see the Sox using Wright in long relief or as a 6 or 7 inning guy.  I would only use him to start an inning or with no one on.

I always have to weigh in on local product Hoyt Wilhelm.  A local town recently named a ballpark for him.  Here's a good article on him - and he was a great reliever.  He also hit a HR in his first at bat and never hit another one.  Like a lot of baseball old-timers, his story is interesting.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article27505783.html

Bear

Interesting article Ted, thanks for sharing.  How times have changed.