GAME #12,THURSDAY, APRIL 12, 2018, NEW YORK YANKEES AT RED SOX

Started by Bear, April 12, 2018, 04:05:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on April 13, 2018, 09:31:32 AM
Quote from: longgame on April 13, 2018, 09:25:24 AM
There's no way I would have brought Kimbrel in with a 6 run lead. We've seen it before - no pressure he gives up everything.  I'm sure it would have been a quick 3 runs with him too and we would have had nobody to go in then.  Walden definitely stinks, right up there with Carson Smith who was warming up before him.  I didn't see any reason to leave Walden in for the 9th, but I also know that they had worked everyone in the pen pretty good the night before so there was some limited availability.  I'll give Cora a pass, they're 11-2 and they have dominant starting pitching and a potent offense that can cover for some bullpen woes, so he must be doing something right.  Bullpen arms are always out there.

The mistake was leaving Walden in to face the heart of the order.  He should have had some else at least warming up to start the inning.  Someone has to impress upon these pitchers that the worst thing one can do is to walk leadoff batters late in the game when you have a big lead.  That is the surest way to let the other team back in the ball game.

That's exactly what I said elk, there was no reason to leave Walden in, I was just arguing against bringing in Kimbrel with a 6-0 lead.  Not sure who was available but hopefully they would have been fresher and more effective than Walden.

Sea Dog 23

Speaking of the bullpen, Walden and Kelly, what is the rule on bringing up a AAA reliever to replace Kelly.  He was suspended six games for the brawl (now on appeal).  Is there a rule that an additional player cannot replace a man on suspension?  I've heard something about the same, but my memory is clouding up again.   iono

Rob from Mass

That will be one of the best-pitched games we will see all season.

“Changing speeds. Pitching in the bottom of the zone. Using his changeup. Elevating. Using both sides of the plate, that was excellent.”

Porcello threw his first 76 pitches without allowing a hit or walk to the Yankees.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on April 13, 2018, 07:58:10 AM
Happy for Cora that he won that series.  He saw everything baseball brings to the table.  A blowout win, a blowout with a good comeback with a brawl in the middle, then a nuts and bolts type win to test his skills.  Hopefully he doesn't get cocky.  Teams like the O's can bring you down to earth in a flash.

Yes they can and we saw that at  the end of the 2011 season....Remember that guys and gals?  We sure as hell bet ter  take the Orioles seriously especially the way Showalter dislikes the Red Sox and also because of the number they played on the powerful Yankees last weekend.  One game at a time for us and Cora doing his job and not making the same managerial mistakes again. The team is doing well now and should be confident that if they play good baseball they will win a lot of games.  We should have good spirit and confidence now and just have to go out there with the same attitude and can-do style that we've shown so far.  If so, we should be in pretty good shape.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on April 13, 2018, 11:39:02 AM
Speaking of the bullpen, Walden and Kelly, what is the rule on bringing up a AAA reliever to replace Kelly.  He was suspended six games for the brawl (now on appeal).  Is there a rule that an additional player cannot replace a man on suspension?  I've heard something about the same, but my memory is clouding up again.   iono

They can call someone up.  They punish the player, but not the team.  At least not yet!