Started by Bear, April 12, 2018, 04:05:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob from Mass

BoSoxFanNY

Rob from Mass

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Rob from Mass on April 12, 2018, 09:46:34 PM
C'mon Cora wake up .The kid is toast .

It was scary all right and if it was me Kimbrel would have been in there to start the ninth inning---to end it quickly and bring the game to the clubhouse fast.  But Francona and Farrell did this too so it seems to be a trend.  To me though when you play the Yankees you take no chances and go with your best.  I hope Alex learns from that.  He should never do that again when we play this team.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Rob from Mass on April 12, 2018, 10:01:15 PM
Hey Cora wake up and start acting like a manager!!

Glad the rest of you are skewering Cora because it takes the heat off of me doing it.  He should have taken no chances and brought Kimbrel in from the get-go.  Why not?  He was fresh and hadn't pitched in the series.  Well hopefully Cora learned where Francona and Farrell didn't.  At any rate, the dust-up last night cost us Kelly for six games but we answered  the Yankees challenge tonight the way we needed to......we beat them and won the series.  That speaks volumes.  Winning always has.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Rob from Mass on April 12, 2018, 10:02:03 PM
Quote from: markj on April 12, 2018, 10:01:09 PM
Porcello is now 3-0, right?
1.83. ERA

Hasn't Porcello had some good games against the Yankees in the past?  He was sensational tonight against a strong slugging team.  A nice win, a better series win Rob.

ipot

Porcello is convincing me he's got the stuff that netted him a Cy Young in 2016.

I'm with the choir here on Cora.  Some numbing managing moves he's making.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bill-806

As DAD would say, "SON, even in VICTORY, there seems to be so many 2nd guessers on board tonight" ....... agree DAD !!! iono iono

Sea Dog 23

Happy for Cora that he won that series.  He saw everything baseball brings to the table.  A blowout win, a blowout with a good comeback with a brawl in the middle, then a nuts and bolts type win to test his skills.  Hopefully he doesn't get cocky.  Teams like the O's can bring you down to earth in a flash.

Rob from Mass

I would like to think that as the year progresses Cora`s skills will get better. Right now he is showing what any rookie goes through. Will be a wild season if he doesn't get better with his in-game managing.

longgame

There's no way I would have brought Kimbrel in with a 6 run lead. We've seen it before - no pressure he gives up everything.  I'm sure it would have been a quick 3 runs with him too and we would have had nobody to go in then.  Walden definitely stinks, right up there with Carson Smith who was warming up before him.  I didn't see any reason to leave Walden in for the 9th, but I also know that they had worked everyone in the pen pretty good the night before so there was some limited availability.  I'll give Cora a pass, they're 10-2 and they have dominant starting pitching and a potent offense that can cover for some bullpen woes, so he must be doing something right.  Bullpen arms are always out there.

elktonnick

One of Farrell's biggest problems was he was too stubborn to learn from his mistakes as he kept making the same ones over and over again.  One hopes that Cora isn't as pigheaded.

elktonnick

Quote from: longgame on April 13, 2018, 09:25:24 AM
There's no way I would have brought Kimbrel in with a 6 run lead. We've seen it before - no pressure he gives up everything.  I'm sure it would have been a quick 3 runs with him too and we would have had nobody to go in then.  Walden definitely stinks, right up there with Carson Smith who was warming up before him.  I didn't see any reason to leave Walden in for the 9th, but I also know that they had worked everyone in the pen pretty good the night before so there was some limited availability.  I'll give Cora a pass, they're 11-2 and they have dominant starting pitching and a potent offense that can cover for some bullpen woes, so he must be doing something right.  Bullpen arms are always out there.

The mistake was leaving Walden in to face the heart of the order.  He should have had some else at least warming up to start the inning.  Someone has to impress upon these pitchers that the worst thing one can do is to walk leadoff batters late in the game when you have a big lead.  That is the surest way to let the other team back in the ball game.

Rob from Mass

Quote from: elktonnick on April 13, 2018, 09:31:32 AM
Quote from: longgame on April 13, 2018, 09:25:24 AM
There's no way I would have brought Kimbrel in with a 6 run lead. We've seen it before - no pressure he gives up everything.  I'm sure it would have been a quick 3 runs with him too and we would have had nobody to go in then.  Walden definitely stinks, right up there with Carson Smith who was warming up before him.  I didn't see any reason to leave Walden in for the 9th, but I also know that they had worked everyone in the pen pretty good the night before so there was some limited availability.  I'll give Cora a pass, they're 11-2 and they have dominant starting pitching and a potent offense that can cover for some bullpen woes, so he must be doing something right.  Bullpen arms are always out there.

The mistake was leaving Walden in to face the heart of the order.  He should have had some else at least warming up to start the inning.  Someone has to impress upon these pitchers that the worst thing one can do is to walk leadoff batters late in the game when you have a big lead.  That is the surest wa
y to let the other team back in the ball game.
AMEN! 
I said that last night.He seen that Walden was good against the bums at the 7-8-9 spots and said to himself man this kid is good. Once the 1st 2 got it was dumb that no one was up in the pen.You are Right no way Kimbrel comes in with a 6 run lead.