GAME #5, MONDAY, APRIL 2, 2018, RED SOX V MARLINS

Started by Bear, April 01, 2018, 09:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

Leesam01

markj

markj

Walden is sloppy but manages to control the damage.

markj

Leesam01

Good to see a win, was only able to catch the last couple of innings. Walden needs some tuning up though.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Leesam01 on April 02, 2018, 08:50:29 PM
This middle bullpen does not inspire confidence.

Leesam, good to have you back and your first utterance was right on the mark.  The middle bullpen does worry me as well.  We need a couple of those guys to step up and I still believe we will have to trade for some relief help down the road.

SeaBeachFred

It took a couple of innings but the hitters came out swinging tonight and Brian Johnson somehow seems to be able to navigate his innings and keep us in the game if we can get him some tallies. I feel guilty to see markj and Leesam carrying the load on the game board but I really get too nervous and out of sorts when I'm watching or listening to the Red Sox so I don't post until I'm relaxed........like now that we meandered through this and are now 4-1.  Noe an we go out tomorrow and give Sale enough support both at the plate and in the bullpen so the guy can be 1-0 on the third day of April????

BTW guys, my wife and I are leaving for a few day in Las Vegas and will no doubt be coming home a little lighter in the wallet and purse.  Well we do have some throwaway money we saved and I want to hit the black jack tables and the slots.  I will keep abreast with the Sox and hope they will be on ESPN or MLB over the next few days.

ipot

Hey, Fred.  I'll one up you.  I not only avoid the boards during game time, but I've come to DVR the games and watch them later.  I get too worked up  - like you :D - when watching live.  So, for years, don't ask me how, I've managed to not know the score and watch the games later.  Helps that I'm a night owl.  8)  Also helps that I bounce between NYC and LA, so the Sox aren't playing at a bar or restaurant or people are chatting.   However, every so often I'll jump in live....

So, thank god for DVR/TiVo.  Made watching ball much less stressful. EXCEPT for playoffs - then I watch live.

As for tonight, I know it was the Marlins and a rookie pitcher but good to see the bats come around.  I'm not so worried about middle relief.  Once Pomeranz and E-Rod get back, Johnson and Velasquez - who's been looking impressive going back to late last season - should slot in those roles.  Then there's Wright.  I DO like the depth we have in the pitching staff.

Walden? Well, maybe there's a reason he's been toiling in the minors for so long?  I dunno.  I want to see any player succeed, esp. those who stick it out.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bill-806

7 RUNS, the VAUNTED offense has arrived , love the changes in the lineup every game. Keep them all hungry.  thumb_u thumb_uB T W,  Ya got to feel good about our HOME GROWN pitchers, nice to see them making CONTRIBUTIONS , albeit , early going.... APRIL & MAY is the time to make HAY......  I wonder how the RAYS likes  N Y & BOSTON this time of the year !! thumb_u thumb_u rofl rofl rofl rofl

Bill-806

Don't forget to THANK the SCHEDULE maker !!! thumb_u thumb_u rofl rofl rofl

Rob from Mass

I give Walden credit for his perseverance on ages in the minors.But if he is the best that the Sox have to rely on from the minors they are in trouble.His 1st game against the Rays while he gave up nothing he every ball hit was very hard and thankfully to someone.The guy will get pounded when facing an even decent hitting team

longgame

The good - the hitting.
The bad - Walden.  This guy was a mess and as a result they had to get Kelly and Kimbrel warming up and then not put in the game.  Cora will have to work on this part of his game.  At the same time, I'm sure he was doing to the Francona thing of figuring out if this kid can handle it. 

elktonnick

When Pomerantz, ERod and or Wright get off the Dl and return Walden will probably sent down. Actually despite Kelly and Smith's performance in the opener Sox look to be in good shape as far as pitching depth at this point.

Bill-806

Quote from: elktonnick on April 03, 2018, 08:13:16 AM
When Pomerantz, ERod and or Wright get off the Dl and return Walden will probably sent down. Actually despite Kelly and Smith's performance in the opener Sox look to be in good shape as far as pitching depth at this point.
EROD, you say EROD ???  That guy has lived off his potential for 4 YEARS, he is a STIFF !!  A package of  J B J, Kelly, EROD is a good start to bringing us some strong developing YOUTH.....  D D is thinking that too !! thumb_u thumb_u iono iono rofl rofl