GAME #102, MONDAY, JULY 23, 2018, BOSTON RED SOX AT BALTIMORE ORIOLES

Started by longgame, July 23, 2018, 12:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

markj

Wow, Yanks go down when they had bases loaded and one out in the 9th. Now Sox need to close this one out.

Schloicka

Stupid Devers cost us a run by not staying at 2nd on a fly ball to center field that would of been a sac fly. Instead of 6-2 it's still 5-2.

markj

markj

markj

BoSoxFanNY

Phew!

AND the Sox beat the Orioles 5 - 3.
71-31
AND the Sox are now 6 games up on the Yankees.

WOW - what a night.

Schloicka

Out of it with a win. Some good things and some bad. Porcello with the win & Kimbrel with the save. Hopefully on to Tuesday with no rain out. 6 games up now.

SeaBeachFred

Hard to complain when we run up a record of 71-31 so I won't, but it does get scary when we make base running blunders over and over and saw cost us a run in the ninth inning.  It also gets kind of scary when our closer delays putting the game on ice, but when tonight ended I also saw that the Rays beat Severino and the Yankees to give us another game up in the standings.  Every little bit helps and it does the Red Sox well when we can win these types of games---just as long as we don't for a minute underestimate the team we're playing.  So it was a somewhat scary but a very good night.

ipot

Quote from: Schloicka on July 23, 2018, 09:53:32 PM
Stupid Devers cost us a run by not staying at 2nd on a fly ball to center field that would of been a sac fly. Instead of 6-2 it's still 5-2.

Devers is having problems in all facets of the game right now.  It's a W - against the O's - but it still counts.  Glad Moreland found his swing.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

ipot

Quote from: markj on July 23, 2018, 10:01:55 PM
Wow, that ended quickly. Sox up by 6 now.

Surreal, ain't it?  And we're 8 games up on the win column.  And the NYY would be be in first in any other division (or tied with HOU in ALW), in any other season to boot.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bill-806

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 23, 2018, 10:32:51 PM
Hard to complain when we run up a record of 71-31 so I won't, but it does get scary when we make base running blunders over and over and saw cost us a run in the ninth inning.  It also gets kind of scary when our closer delays putting the game on ice, but when tonight ended I also saw that the Rays beat Severino and the Yankees to give us another game up in the standings.  Every little bit helps and it does the Red Sox well when we can win these types of games---just as long as we don't for a minute underestimate the team we're playing.  So it was a somewhat scary but a very good night.
Good to win with a YANK$ loss...…  However,  gee-whiz, DEVERS needs (not just him) some baserunning drills !!!  Had to use KIMBREL in the RAIN and leave BARNES standing in the PEN after a HOT warm up.... BOTH might be unavailable tonight !! More RAIN tonight !!  2018, the YEAR of MOTHER NATURE controls !!! iono iono iono rofl rofl

longgame

Really bonheaded move by Devers.   It's the one real weakness of this team - baserunning.  Can't give away runs against good teams or they'll make you pay. 

That balk call on Porcello was bizarre.  Not sure how they covered it on NESN, but from what I saw the ump stood up so Porcello moved slightly before the ump raised his hands.  Next time he should drill the ump. 

6 games up and more Baltimore ahead.

Bill-806

As DAD would say, "SON, that BRAISSER guy quietly is making a SPOT for himself in that  B P "!!! thumb_u rofl rofl rofl

elktonnick

Quote from: longgame on July 24, 2018, 08:18:34 AM
Really bonheaded move by Devers.   It's the one real weakness of this team - baserunning.  Can't give away runs against good teams or they'll make you pay. 

That balk call on Porcello was bizarre.  Not sure how they covered it on NESN, but from what I saw the ump stood up so Porcello moved slightly before the ump raised his hands.  Next time he should drill the ump. 

6 games up and more Baltimore ahead.

Anyone who has ever gone through basic training in the armed services has encountered a guy like Devers, oblivious.  There was a very successful television series about a guy  like Devers,  Gomer Pyle!  Devers is the Gomer Pyle of the Boston Red Sox, the likeable klutz.