GAME #36, MONDAY, MAY 6, 2019, BOSTON RED SOX @ BALTIMORE ORIOLES

Started by markj, May 06, 2019, 09:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

BoSoxFanNY

Sox bats are a no show.
Fast game . . .

Orioles 4 - Sox 1

(SO close to getting to .500 after the weekend in Chicago.)

markj

Pretty sorry offensive performance tonight. Seems to happen against the O's a lot.

Schloicka

Sox pitching wasn't great but wasn't to bad. 4 runs in the American league about average. Offense stayed in Chicago I guess. On to Tuesday.

elktonnick

Quite frankly this team was extremely flat tonight and I am wondering if politics over the upcoming White House visit isn't dividing this team.  Reportedly Price retweeted something Steve Buckley the Boston sports writer put out calling those sox players visiting the White House Thursday the "white Sox".  This isn't good if true.  I am not taking sides on the political issue but Price calling out his team mates who may have different political views than him is divisive and not good. 

"Tweet Embed:
//twitter.com/mims/statuses/1125160300469202944?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
Alex Cora has confirmed newspaper report he will not make the trip to meet the president. So basically it's the white Sox who'll be going.
On Monday, Price retweeted the post, saying that he felt like "more than 38k should see this tweet" â€" a reference to Buckley's follower count.
Price's quote tweet shared the message with his 1.8 million followers.

Regardless, despite his pitching performance in last year's playoffs Price is a difficult personality who has poured oil on fires before as we all know.

markj

Keep this conversation non-political. I didn't want to go down this road in the first place, but since we're here, let's see if we can just discuss the Sox internal turmoil situation without getting into the politics behind it.

markj

According to an article in the Globe, Price retweeted that because he thought it was an insensitive remark ("white sox") and wanted more people to see it, maybe to embarrass Buckley?

From the article:
QuotePrior to the Red Sox-Orioles game in Camden Yards on Monday night, Price clarified the intention behind his retweet.

“It was an insensitive tweet that needs to be seen by more people. That’s what it was,” said Price.

elktonnick

I forgot that Price and Buckley have long-standing animus for each other.  In
any case, it still wasn't a smart move on Price's part.  The team doesn't need the distraction. I think they did not look like a very motivated bunch in last night's opener against the Orioles.

Sea Dog 23

Unfortunately the one person who is charged with leadership to bring this brouhaha to a close is Cora.  But he has been in the middle of the press coverage for three months.  Hopefully this is nothing more than a snit and doesn't become finger pointing.  The Sox are still a fragile team between the lines, and the #%$& Boston press seems to love more drama.

elktonnick

While we aren't in the clubhouse, one can imagine there is a lot of uncertainty around who will be staying and who will be sent down or cut.  There are a number of guys on the bubble. Cora just seems to be out of touch with reality. As far as I know he still has not accepted responsibility for having this team ill prepared to start the season.  Even Jim Palmer took.a shot at Cora last night. If the Sox lose this series to the hapless Os, I would have Cora's scalp.

Murph

Newcomer Weber looked good but I need to see what he does against some better competition.

markj

Quote from: Murph on May 07, 2019, 09:10:14 AM
Newcomer Weber looked good but I need to see what he does against some better competition.

Agreed. One impressive outing against the O's is not enough to go on.

Murph

Chavis starting to see the league pitching him differently.Seems a lot of inside heat . Now comes the test of how he responds.

SeaBeachFred

It is not a political thing mark---it has become a racial thing since David made it so.  Still knowing who is going and who is not  this has all  the earmarks on a situation that could break the team in half.  Cora could  have at least said he opposes Trump and then go to the meeting and let hi feelings be known but instead made this one group against the other group........and in the end it may wind up being the straw that forces the front office to bust this team up good and proper.

You don't want to go to the White House?  Fine that is you prerogative and you should respect the wishes of those who don't want to go.

You want to go the White House????  Well that's their prerogative too and Price, as much as I like you and have always supported you, YOU KEEP YOUR @##$%^&* MOUTH SHUT AND RESPECT THE WISHES OF THOSE WHO WANT TO GO.  Cora, once again this season, you efed up badly.

longgame

I still think you go no matter who is in the White House.  It's the athletes, coaches and writers who are making this a political thing.  If you've got a beef with the Prez, what better opportunity to actually address it instead of just stewing in it.  Unfortunately this will be in the news for the next couple of days.  Just what the Sox need, a distraction.