GAME #139, TORONTO BLUE JAYS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, September 05, 2017, 12:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

BLUE JAYS V RED SOX

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 5, 2017,7 PM AT FENWAY PARK

TV:  NESN, MLBN, (OUT-OF-MARKET ONLY), SNET, MLBN

TORONTO, (64-74)......................................................................................BOSTON, (77-61)

TORONTO:

MARCO ESTRADA, RHP, 7-8, 5.23 ERA, 156K

Marco Estrada had been making progress but took a step back in his
last game.  He allowed six runs on 10 hits over five innings.  It was the
second time in August he allowed six earned runs; the other starts he
allowed three earned runs or fewer.

BOSTON:

EDUARDO RODRIGUEZ, LHP, 4-5, 4.40 ERA, 118K

The lefty has been able to regain his form since returning from the DL,
going 0-3 with a 5.47 ERA in his last nine starts.  Rodriguez is 1-1 with a
4.23 ERA in eight starts at Fenway this season.  He is 1-3 with a 6.15 ERA
in his career vs Toronto.

It's Estrada vs. E-Rod as Jays-Sox continues

Quinn Roberts

Nothing has been easy for Red Sox left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez since he came off the disabled list on July 17 after dealing with an injured left knee -- in nine starts he's 0-3 with a 5.47 ERA. He'll try to get that elusive win on Tuesday at Fenway Park against the Blue Jays and right-hander Marco Estrada.

Rodriguez has lost his last two starts, falling to 4-5 overall with a 4.40 ERA. On Thursday against the Yankees, he allowed five runs on 10 hits in five innings.

With the Red Sox holding a 2 1/2-game lead over the Yankees in the American League East, manager John Farrell believes that the key to staying atop the division is consistent starting pitching.

"We know the importance of these games as we get deeper into the season. What we've witnessed and lived is that our guys have been able to separate from poor series and games," Farrell said. "The inconsistencies, I don't think, are a matter of guys pressing or trying to do more. Sometimes we haven't pitched as well to keep a game in check and help our offense get on track. To me that has probably been the biggest key of all."

Although Estrada didn't have his best stuff on Thursday against the Orioles, he picked up his seventh victory of the season. He allowed at least one run during each of the first three innings, and was charged with six runs on 10 hits over five innings.

Estrada has three wins in his last five outings after previously going two months between victories.

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• After getting the day off on Monday, expect Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia back in the lineup on Tuesday. The club will continue to gradually build him up as he works his way back from inflammation in his left knee.

• In seven career appearances (six starts) against Toronto, Rodriguez is 1-3 with a 6.15 ERA. He faced the Blue Jays in his first start off the DL on July 17, going 5 1/3 innings and allowing three runs on six hits in a no-decision.

• Jose Bautista's 42 career home runs against the Red Sox are the most among active players. His 101 RBIs are third most among active players, behind only Evan Longoria (102) and Robinson Cano (116).

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170904252418896/its-estrada-vs-e-rod-as-jays-sox-continues/?game_pk=492176

Bear

RED SOX

Eduardo Nunez 3B
Dustin Pedroia 2B
Andrew Benintendi LF
Mookie Betts RF
Hanley Ramirez DH
Mitch Moreland 1B
Xander Bogaerts SS
Christian Vazquez C
Jackie Bradley Jr CF

Eduardo Rodriguez LHP

longgame

So according to the chicken and beer schedule, expect E-Rod to give up 2 or 3 in the first inning, struggle into the 5th with 100 pitches where Farrell wants to keep him despite being down several runs in case the Sox can score a ton of runs in the 5th to give him the win. 

Schloicka

Quote from: longgame on September 05, 2017, 08:03:27 AM
So according to the chicken and beer schedule, expect E-Rod to give up 2 or 3 in the first inning, struggle into the 5th with 100 pitches where Farrell wants to keep him despite being down several runs in case the Sox can score a ton of runs in the 5th to give him the win.

E-Rod is going to find out if he can't go 6 decent innings in a game he'll be toast as a starter. Right now he's terrible.

Bill-806

Quote from: Schloicka on September 05, 2017, 01:03:38 PM
Quote from: longgame on September 05, 2017, 08:03:27 AM

E-Rod is going to find out if he can't go 6 decent innings in a game he'll be toast as a starter. Right now he's terrible.
Someone in the RED SOX structure fell in love with E-ROD, I don't see it myself.... Overrated, constantly underachieving, and comes up with some of the most strange injuries every 3 months + - .....

Bear

BIG NEWS TODAY!
RED SOX CAUGHT STEALING SIGNS IN NEW YORK.
Farrell claims he was unaware. 

I posted the article.

Schloicka

Quote from: Bear on September 05, 2017, 05:50:11 PM
BIG NEWS TODAY!
RED SOX CAUGHT STEALING SIGNS IN NEW YORK.
Farrell claims he was unaware. 

I posted the article.

He did not claim he was unaware. Try reading what you post. Does NOT say anywhere that he was unaware!

Bear

QuoteOutfielder Chris Young and Red Sox team trainers were interviewed by the league, according to the report, and the Sox told the investigators that Farrell, nor president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski, nor any front office officials were aware of the sign stealing.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox/clubhouse_insider/2017/09/red_sox_being_investigated_for_stealing_yankees_signs_using

Sorry George, I read more than one source
Three players specifically mentioned:  Holt, Pedroia, Young.

markj

He said he was aware of the rule against electronic devices and that is now a league matter. Sounds like admitting guilt to me. "We got caught, so now it's up to the league to deal with it."

Schloicka

Quote from: Bear on September 05, 2017, 06:20:43 PM
QuoteOutfielder Chris Young and Red Sox team trainers were interviewed by the league, according to the report, and the Sox told the investigators that Farrell, nor president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski, nor any front office officials were aware of the sign stealing.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox/clubhouse_insider/2017/09/red_sox_being_investigated_for_stealing_yankees_signs_using

Sorry George, I read more than one source

Farrell didn't admit to it happening and he didn't deny it. Farrell knows the rule on electronics in the dugout so he didn't say he was unaware of that.

markj

Having said that, Dombrowski and even Girardi don't seem to think it's a big deal.

Schloicka

Quote from: markj on September 05, 2017, 06:22:09 PM
He said he was aware of the rule against electronic devices and that is now a league matter. Sounds like admitting guilt to me. "We got caught, so now it's up to the league to deal with it."

Thats not what was posted. What was posted by bear is that Farrell was unaware. That was never said by anyone. I'm not saying something was or wasn't done wrong. I'm saying Farrell never said he was unaware of what happened. He didn't admit to it or deny it. Obviously every organization knows that rule.

markj

In any case, this is a game thread. Let's try to keep the sign stealing discussion in the other thread.

markj

Sox finally make it out of the 1st inning without giving up a run.

markj