GAME #135, BOSTON RED SOX AT NEW YORK YANKEES

Started by Bear, September 01, 2017, 02:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

RED SOX V YANKEES

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 1, 2017, 7 PM AT YANKEE STADIUM

TV:  NESN, MLBN, (OUT-OF-MARKET ONLY), YES, MLBN, (OUT-OF-MARKET ONLY)

BOSTON, (76-58)........................................................................................NEW YORK, (71-62)

BOSTON:

DOUG FISTER, RHP, 3-7, 4.53 ERA, 51K

The right-hander has settled into a nice role, going 3-2 with a 3.41 ERA
in five starts.  This will be Fister's first rivalry start against the Yankees.  Fister
has made just one career start at Yankee Stadium, giving up three runs over
seven innings.

NEW YORK:

SONNY GRAY, RHP, 8-8, 3.26 ERA, 120K

Gray was brilliant in his last start, holding the Mariners to a solo homer among
three its while striking out nine.  Gray is 2-3 with a 2.70 ERA in five starts since
joining the Yankees, including an August 20 loss at Fenway Park.

Fister, Gray set to square off in the Bronx

Ian Browne

When the Red Sox and Yankees continue their rivalry matchup in Friday night's MLB Network Showcase Game, Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia hopes to finally join in the fun.

Boston's longest-tenured player is expected to be activated in time for the second game of a four-game series after being out of the lineup for all but one day in August.

The Red Sox will welcome him back, especially after losing Thursday's series opener to the Yankees, 6-2, and seeing their lead cut to 4 1/2 games in the American League East.

Is Pedroia surprised that the Red Sox enjoyed their best month of the season (18-9) without him?

"No," Pedroia said. "We've got a great team. We're pretty confident if one guy goes down, somebody else will step up and fill that role. We've played great baseball and I'm excited to be part of it."

While Eduardo Nunez has filled in so well during Pedroia's absence, Friday night starter Doug Fister has done the same in place of injured lefty David Price. Fister is 3-2 with a 3.41 ERA in five starts since Price went back on the disabled list with left elbow inflammation.

The Yankees counter with July 31 trade acquisition Sonny Gray, who recorded zero strikeouts in a start for the first time in his career when he faced Boston on Aug. 20. Gray was still able to hold his own in that game, allowing two runs over five innings.

Though the series is big for both teams, the Yankees are feeling more urgency in their quest to inch closer to the Red Sox in the AL East.

"We've just got to get some guys going, myself included, all up and down the lineup," said Yankees left fielder Brett Gardner. "The calendar is going to flip to a new month here pretty soon and we're running out of time to catch those guys. Obviously we've got a big series and we'll try to take things one game at a time like we always do, but I'm sure it'll be an exciting weekend."

One thing that would help the Yankees greatly is for Aaron Judge to heat up again. Though he is still the overwhelming favorite to win the AL Rookie of the Year Award, Judge has struggled since the All-Star break and was dropped to the sixth spot in the batting order on Thursday.

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• Including the postseason, Fister has pitched four times at Yankee Stadium in his career, going 1-2 with a 3.91 ERA. This will be the first time Fister has pitched in the Bronx since he fired 6 1/3 shutout innings for the Tigers in Game 1 of the 2012 AL Championship Series. Fister got a no-decision, but the Tigers won in 12 innings.

• Not only did Gray fail to record a strikeout in that last start against Boston, but he posted the lowest swinging-strike rate (3.7 percent) of his career. He bounced back last Saturday to strike out nine Mariners with a 16 percent swinging-strike rate that was his sixth-best in an outing of at least 100 pitches.

• Pedroia has played roughly a season's worth of games against the Yankees in his career, slashing .295/.358/.425 with 12 homers and 75 RBIs in 704 career plate appearances.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170831251685674/fister-gray-set-to-square-off-in-the-bronx/?game_pk=492105

Bear

Red Sox lineup:

1. Eduardo Nunez SS
2. Andrew Benintendi CF
3. Mookie Betts RF
4. Mitch Moreland 1B
5. Dustin Pedroia 2B
6. Rafael Devers 3B
7. Hanley Ramirez DH
7. Sandy Leon C
8. Brock Holt LF

FISTER, RHP

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Bear on September 01, 2017, 02:02:26 AM
RESERVED

OK Farrell, now that Pedroia is back let's see you again put that shithead Pukegaerts back in the lineup you dumb SOB.  And why not give your boy Young another shot.  Did the team look as bad last night as I believe it did.  No wonder so many fans really dislike this team.  Let's hope and pray it was just one bad game and a harbinger of bad things to come.  We need to win a couple of games in this series.

longgame

This should be fun, while not a lot of appearances are involved, most of the Yankees are hitting .300 - .600 against Fister.  Sox are hitting .125, .167, etc. vs. Gray.  Could be another long night, or like last night a short one as I did something I never do which is stop watching.

Maybe the snowflake Sox are tired and want to rest in October.  I think we're seeing the beginning of the millennial era in sports, got trophies all the way up and think the job is just showing up and putting on the uniform.

Bill-806

All of "USE J F  HATERS" are going to love tonight's lineup !! thumb_u rofl

BoSoxFanNY

Yankee fans are getting pretty cocky.

RAIN delay on Wednesday really screwed the Red Sox because
the Yankees had the chance to set up their rotation  . . .

Bear

Fred, JF  must have heard you, no Bogaerts and no Young

ojdidit

the Red Sox are already playing the game this evening under protest.  MLB issued an order regading the no bunting rule.  Attempting a bunt will result in an automatic out and an ejection.

markj

More of the same at the plate tonight. Leon watches two strikes go by right over the plate and then K's on a pitch in the dirt. What are these bozos looking at?

Schloicka

Betts has got to stop trying to pull everything.

Schloicka

markj

markj

markj

I'll say it again, it's good to have Pedroia back. His instincts, reaction time, and speed can't be beat.

Schloicka

Quote from: markj on September 01, 2017, 08:14:30 PM
I'll say it again, it's good to have Pedroia back. His instincts, reaction time, and speed can't be beat.

might sit tomorrow with the quick turn around. they are going to make him rest from time to time