GAME #65, BOSTON RED SOX AT PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES

Started by Bear, June 14, 2017, 02:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on June 15, 2017, 08:57:39 AM
I'm "on Farrell" because given a list of options he invariably makes the wrong choice.  My default position is always that the Red Sox win in spite of the dolt who is their manager.

I agree with that, just not that he did anything particularly wrong lately.  I was surprised he didn't bat for Velazquez but it worked out as he pitched another inning.   Also surprised when he pinch hit Rutledge for Panda, instead of having him hit in the pitcher's spot 2 spots later and saving a bat on the bench if needed.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Schloicka on June 14, 2017, 11:20:13 PM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on June 14, 2017, 10:22:37 PM
Quote from: elktonnick on June 14, 2017, 04:28:54 PM
Morelend is hot and playing a gold glove !st base.  He is especially effective against Hellickson going 4 for 8 against him.  Ramirez on the other hand has played sparingly at 1st and almost injured himself during his last time playing there.  Has never got a hit off Hellickson.  So of course Farrell is starting Ramirez instead of Moreland at first tonight.  Just to make sure Ramirez has all the help he can get defensively at 1st, our genius manager will start STONE glove nominee at 3rd Pablo Sandoval.

Is there now any doubt that we have the poorest excuse for a manager in the league.  There was no rhyme or reason to bench a hot hitter, a lefty to boot, to start a right handed hitter mired in what seems a season long slump.  Then the fact that defensively he can't carry Moreland's jock and the compounds his misdemeanor with another felony by starting Sandoval at third base.  Just how stupid is this Farrell guy anyway?  Almost everyone here should be able to see that this guy is way in over his head.

No rhyme or reason to not play Moreland? I guess Moreland being hurt doesn't qualify?

Maybe you watched the ESPN's classic special "Lakers vs Celtics---Classic Rivalry" last night Georgie, though I doubt you did, so let me put some new colors in your paint box.  In that 1987 NBA Finals series, Celtic Kevin McHale did not suffer a bruised foot, he had a broken one----AND HE WRAPPED IT UP AND PLAYED GAMES FIVE AND SIX WITH IT.  Where there's a will, there's a way and in my opinion if Moreland could PH he could have played.  To have to disastrous defensive players manning the corner infield spots we were lucky w e didn't blow the game.  I don't know the severity of Moreland's injury but it sure as hell wasn't in the league with McHale's and the game they were playing ( or in Moreland's case wasn't).  Again you want to take the snowflake way out of it George, fine, but you have your take on things and I have mine----and so again for the umpteenth time we will simply have to agree to disagree.

I do wonder if you ever coached baseball in your life, or even played it much judging from your attitude about things like that.  Chances are the first part is no, the second part is very little.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Schloicka on June 15, 2017, 07:37:05 AM
Quote from: elktonnick on June 15, 2017, 06:32:27 AM
Ok Farrell escaped with a win. Although I don't think Moreland's injury is that serious if he was available to pinch hit.  In any case I think it wasn't the best move to have both Sandoval and Ramirez playing.  While Sandoval didn't making any glaring errors, even the Phillies announcers commented how shaky he looked on defense.

How did he look shaky at 3rd? He made a couple of very nice plays there. Had NO ERRORS. Glaring or otherwise. Rutledge, who by the way was the only other infielder we had last night who could play 3rd almost had an error himself but Pedroia saved him with a good play at 2nd. No one said Moreland had a serious injury & it's not your job to make that determination. Moreland said he couldn't go after trying to jog on the foot before the game. Being able to pinch hit is a lot different than moving around the 1st base bag for 9 innings. If Moreland had tried playing and had hurt himself even more and would be out longer because of it you'd be screaming he never should of been playing.

I know the job of most people here is to look under every rock to try to find something to complain about even if the facts don't back up what's being posted. Complaining about a player playing or not playing is ridiculous unless you know why it is happening. It never hurts to actually know the facts about why it's happening before complaining about it. (The facts about why Moreland wasn't playing were readily available to anyone who wanted to know)

Well it balances out Schloik.  We hard asses who you think demand too much are counter-acted by your pollyanna attitude that all is well and no mistakes are made by our genius board of strategy.  I readily admit I  take a hard line on those who seem to take the easy way out, but your pampering attitude and belief that the coaching does no wrong borders on lunacy.  Notice when one of our pitchers gets a injury a call is sent to Pawtucket for a replacement?  Well they either could have recalled Sam Travis last night, or if it happened too late could call him for tonight's game.  For all your  roseate looks at Sandoval, the guy is a menace at third base, cannot move to save his ass, and is hitting 215.  Most of us k now we can do better than him at third. You don't so we agree to disagree once again.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Rob from Mass on June 15, 2017, 07:45:13 AM
Wow, Bogaerts 3 RBIS leads Sox to a W. Mookie with 2 HRs and also 3 RBIS gives Sox 3 straight over the hapless Phils.
JBJ is on one of his HOT STREAKS hitting .348 so far in June.
Sox now only 3 games behind the Bombers in the loss column.

That is encouraging for all Red Sox fans Rob, and my only take is that....IS IT SUSTAINABLE OVER A LONGER PERIOD OF TIME?????  So far this year it hasn't been, but a hot Mookie and Jackie, strong hitting from Pedroia and Andrew, and a quick return from Moreland could mean some good news for us down the road even though I'm still not completely sold on this team.  Tonight's game and that series in Houston will tell you, me and the rest if this team of ours has turned a corner, though I still worry about our starting pitching.  We need a healthy and mentally ready Price, E-Rod back soon, and Pomeranz to work a little faster so the infield is not back on its heels when he pitches which can induce fielding errors.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on June 15, 2017, 01:36:46 PM
Sophistry also refers to being dishonest in your argumentation . To be precise you obtained your rationale in an attempt to rebut my argument by use of illegal means an illegally intercepted broadcast hence dishonest .  That is why I quite rightly refered to your post as the height of sophistry. Actually I was being polite.  I could have used much unkinder language.

I owe you one Elk since you saved me from tot al embarrassment the other night concerning Bogaerts who I admitted to having a animus towards him for his lousy clutch hitting.  Well here goes.....Why even argue with that guy?  He is a pollyanna and apologist of the first order, you know the type, SEE NO EVIL, SPEAK NO EVIL, HEAR NONE UTTERED IN HIS PRESENCE.  Once in awhile George will tear into the front office but almost without exception he is giving them succor and support and actually believes Farrell is a decent manager.  Sorry, but it is hard to get through to a guy like that.  Someone has to steal his rose colored glasses.  Well we have a chance for a four game sweep tonight my friend-----let's  take full advantage of it this time around.

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on June 15, 2017, 02:06:36 PM
Morelend is hot and playing a gold glove !st base.  He is especially effective against Hellickson going 4 for 8 against him.  Ramirez on the other hand has played sparingly at 1st and almost injured himself during his last time playing there.  Has never got a hit off Hellickson.  So of course Farrell is starting Ramirez instead of Moreland at first tonight.  Just to make sure Ramirez has all the help he can get defensively at 1st, our genius manager will start STONE glove nominee at 3rd Pablo Sandoval.

Is there now any doubt that we have the poorest excuse for a manager in the league.  There was no rhyme or reason to bench a hot hitter, a lefty to boot, to start a right handed hitter mired in what seems a season long slump.  Then the fact that defensively he can't carry Moreland's jock and the compounds his misdemeanor with another felony by starting Sandoval at third base.  Just how stupid is this Farrell guy anyway?  Almost everyone here should be able to see that this guy is way in over his head.

No rhyme or reason to not play Moreland? I guess Moreland being hurt doesn't qualify?

Maybe you watched the ESPN's classic special "Lakers vs Celtics---Classic Rivalry" last night Georgie, though I doubt you did, so let me put some new colors in your paint box.  In that 1987 NBA Finals series, Celtic Kevin McHale did not suffer a bruised foot, he had a broken one----AND HE WRAPPED IT UP AND PLAYED GAMES FIVE AND SIX WITH IT.  Where there's a will, there's a way and in my opinion if Moreland could PH he could have played.  To have to disastrous defensive players manning the corner infield spots we were lucky w e didn't blow the game.  I don't know the severity of Moreland's injury but it sure as hell wasn't in the league with McHale's and the game they were playing ( or in Moreland's case wasn't).  Again you want to take the snowflake way out of it George, fine, but you have your take on things and I have mine----and so again for the umpteenth time we will simply have to agree to disagree.

I do wonder if you ever coached baseball in your life, or even played it much judging from your attitude about things like that.  Chances are the first part is no, the second part is very little.

I think you're way out of line.   I've known George online for years and he's knowledgeable and quite critical of actual issues.  Playing a game against the Phillies in June is a far cry from a bloody sock situation (a better analogy than McHale).

elktonnick

I believe a win in June counts just as much in the standings as one in September.  "For want of a nail the shoe was lost " I let you finish the rest.

Schloicka

Your trying to equate a player sitting out in game 65 of a 162 game schedule with a player playing hurt in the NBA finals? If it would of been game 10 of the regular NBA season I doubt very much he would of been playing. It's apples and oranges. No where near the same thing.

Did I ever coach baseball in my life? Only for 25 years at various levels. My high school teams won just over 90% of their games. It would of been more but if we had a game cancelled for any reason and we didn't really have to play it I didn't bother. Especially if it was against a bad team.

Did I ever play baseball? I played a little. My college coach thought I was ok but that's ancient history now.

Did I ever do anything else in baseball? I'm not sure if this qualifies but I did umpire for 19-20 years from little league through college.

And you know what? I got up one morning and wrote out my resignations to the high school and the umpire association and mailed them. Since then unless I'm at a game in Fenway I haven't seen more than 9 innings of baseball at any level in person. There is a summer college team 6 miles from my house who have tried to get me to come down and help out but I've always declined. This past winter I did go up to the local school to do a favor for a former player of mine who just got the high school coaching job. (He doesn't know I helped him get the job) He was wondering how I got things organized because being in the program as a player is a lot different than organizing things. So I went up and helped him out for a week. I never did go watch his team play but they had a pretty good year going 12-4.

Fred, anytime you want to have a war of words about baseball or anything else for that matter I strongly suggest you at least arm yourself because I'll make you look very foolish. You can call me a Pollyanna or a snowflake or whatever because coming from you it means very little.  You seem to be some guy who used to coach (which by the way there are thousands of ex coaches out there) who thinks he's an expert. Maybe you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I don't know. 

Bill-806

As  DAD would say,  "WELL KING, THIS CASE IS CLOSED" !!

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Schloicka on June 15, 2017, 03:43:20 PM

Your trying to equate a player sitting out in game 65 of a 162 game schedule with a player playing hurt in the NBA finals? If it would of been game 10 of the regular NBA season I doubt very much he would of been playing. It's apples and oranges. No where near the same thing.

Did I ever coach baseball in my life? Only for 25 years at various levels. My high school teams won just over 90% of their games. It would of been more but if we had a game cancelled for any reason and we didn't really have to play it I didn't bother. Especially if it was against a bad team.

Did I ever play baseball? I played a little. My college coach thought I was ok but that's ancient history now.

Did I ever do anything else in baseball? I'm not sure if this qualifies but I did umpire for 19-20 years from little league through college.

And you know what? I got up one morning and wrote out my resignations to the high school and the umpire association and mailed them. Since then unless I'm at a game in Fenway I haven't seen more than 9 innings of baseball at any level in person. There is a summer college team 6 miles from my house who have tried to get me to come down and help out but I've always declined. This past winter I did go up to the local school to do a favor for a former player of mine who just got the high school coaching job. (He doesn't know I helped him get the job) He was wondering how I got things organized because being in the program as a player is a lot different than organizing things. So I went up and helped him out for a week. I never did go watch his team play but they had a pretty good year going 12-4.

Fred, anytime you want to have a war of words about baseball or anything else for that matter I strongly suggest you at least arm yourself because I'll make you look very foolish. You can call me a Pollyanna or a snowflake or whatever because coming from you it means very little.  You seem to be some guy who used to coach (which by the way there are thousands of ex coaches out there) who thinks he's an expert. Maybe you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I don't know.

OK George, you were a baseball coach......a liberal one to be sure but a coach.  Won over 90% of your games.  Wish I could say I won more but can't.  For me it was only 88%  And if it means little to you why answer me in the first place.  I struck a nerve, didn't I?  Didn't mean to but your apologistic attitude to everything the front office seems to do does rankle me because I think I'm smart enough to know that Farrell is a shitty manager and one of the very worst in baseball.  What say you on that George????  And be careful how you answer that because it might give you away.  Now enough of the pissing contest.

Schloicka

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on June 15, 2017, 05:59:38 PM
Quote from: Schloicka on June 15, 2017, 03:43:20 PM

OK George, you were a baseball coach......a liberal one to be sure but a coach.  Won over 90% of your games.  Wish I could say I won more but can't.  For me it was only 88%  And if it means little to you why answer me in the first place.  I struck a nerve, didn't I?  Didn't mean to but your apologistic attitude to everything the front office seems to do does rankle me because I think I'm smart enough to know that Farrell is a shitty manager and one of the very worst in baseball.  What say you on that George????  And be careful how you answer that because it might give you away.  Now enough of the pissing contest.

Not sure what a liberal coach is? I haven't apologized for anything the front office has done. You can't find anywhere that I've made excuses for the front office. Since I have no control over anything they do why would i apologize or make excuses? Why do I answer you? Because it humors me to watch you piss and moan about everything and it's easy to get your goat.  No other reason. I really could care less about Farrell. I agree with him sometimes and sometimes I don't. I don't just automatically blame him when a player doesn't do their job. I expect a player to actually do their job.