GAME #65, BOSTON RED SOX AT PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES

Started by Bear, June 14, 2017, 02:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill-806

Quote from: elktonnick on June 15, 2017, 06:32:27 AM
Ok Farrell escaped with a win. Although I don't think Moreland's injury is that serious if he was available to pinch hit.  In any case I think it wasn't the best move to have both Sandoval and Ramirez playing.  While Sandoval didn't making any glaring errors, even the Phillies announcers commented how shaky he looked on defense.
  B I N G O  dat !!!   Although,   "ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL" !!  thumb_u

Schloicka

Ok Farrell escaped with a win. Although I don't think Moreland's injury is that serious if he was available to pinch hit.  In any case I think it wasn't the best move to have both Sandoval and Ramirez playing.  While Sandoval didn't making any glaring errors, even the Phillies announcers commented how shaky he looked on defense.

How did he look shaky at 3rd? He made a couple of very nice plays there. Had NO ERRORS. Glaring or otherwise. Rutledge, who by the way was the only other infielder we had last night who could play 3rd almost had an error himself but Pedroia saved him with a good play at 2nd. No one said Moreland had a serious injury & it's not your job to make that determination. Moreland said he couldn't go after trying to jog on the foot before the game. Being able to pinch hit is a lot different than moving around the 1st base bag for 9 innings. If Moreland had tried playing and had hurt himself even more and would be out longer because of it you'd be screaming he never should of been playing.

I know the job of most people here is to look under every rock to try to find something to complain about even if the facts don't back up what's being posted. Complaining about a player playing or not playing is ridiculous unless you know why it is happening. It never hurts to actually know the facts about why it's happening before complaining about it. (The facts about why Moreland wasn't playing were readily available to anyone who wanted to know)

Rob from Mass

Wow, Bogaerts 3 RBIS leads Sox to a W. Mookie with 2 HRs and also 3 RBIS gives Sox 3 straight over the hapless Phils.
JBJ is on one of his HOT STREAKS hitting .348 so far in June.
Sox now only 3 games behind the Bombers in the loss column.

elktonnick

Quote from: Schloicka on June 15, 2017, 07:37:05 AM

How did he look shaky at 3rd? He made a couple of very nice plays there. Had NO ERRORS. Glaring or otherwise. Rutledge, who by the way was the only other infielder we had last night who could play 3rd almost had an error himself but Pedroia saved him with a good play at 2nd. No one said Moreland had a serious injury & it's not your job to make that determination. Moreland said he couldn't go after trying to jog on the foot before the game. Being able to pinch hit is a lot different than moving around the 1st base bag for 9 innings. If Moreland had tried playing and had hurt himself even more and would be out longer because of it you'd be screaming he never should of been playing.

I know the job of most people here is to look under every rock to try to find something to complain about even if the facts don't back up what's being posted. Complaining about a player playing or not playing is ridiculous unless you know why it is happening. It never hurts to actually know the facts about why it's happening before complaining about it. (The facts about why Moreland wasn't playing were readily available to anyone who wanted to know)

If ex major leaguers like John Kruk call Sandoval shaky at third then I take note.  While Sandoval made plays Kruk complained that he had to leave his feet in order to do so.  He observed (quite rightly) that a more agile player wouldn't have and would have been a better position to make the double play.  Even Farrell recognizes Sandoval defensive limitations which is why he tends to pull him late in games for a defensive replacement.

BTW I now live in Lower and Slower Delaware and don't have access to NESN.  I only saw the lineup shortly before the game and reacted to what I consider to be a typical boneheaded decision by our braindead manager.  That the Sox won doesn't change the fact that Hanley was ineffective at the plate against Hellickson as his stats indicated he would be.  Events only prove that like the proverbial blind squirrel Farrell finds an acorn now and then.

longgame

I can't see why anyone is on Farrell for this game.  The Sox jumped to an early lead, in spite of an injury to the starter the pen held the Phillies to minimal offense.  The defense shined a few times during this game.  I had the same reaction on Moreland being out but then heard he was out due to injury (which was mentioned when they discussed the starting lineup at the top of the game.) 

Let's enjoy a textbook win from these guys after a couple of long, extra inning ordeals.  I hope Johnson is okay (probably just faking it and isn't tough enough!) 

elktonnick

I'm "on Farrell" because given a list of options he invariably makes the wrong choice.  My default position is always that the Red Sox win in spite of the dolt who is their manager.

Schloicka

Quote from: elktonnick on June 15, 2017, 07:59:01 AM
Quote from: Schloicka on June 15, 2017, 07:37:05 AM

If ex major leaguers like John Kruk call Sandoval shaky at third then I take note.  While Sandoval made plays Kruk complained that he had to leave his feet in order to do so.  He observed (quite rightly) that a more agile player wouldn't have and would have been a better position to make the double play.  Even Farrell recognizes Sandoval defensive limitations which is why he tends to pull him late in games for a defensive replacement.

BTW I now live in Lower and Slower Delaware and don't have access to NESN.  I only saw the lineup shortly before the game and reacted to what I consider to be a typical boneheaded decision by our braindead manager.  That the Sox won doesn't change the fact that Hanley was ineffective at the plate against Hellickson as his stats indicated he would be.  Events only prove that like the proverbial blind squirrel Farrell finds an acorn now and then.

John Kruk? Talk about not being agile. Jerry Remy thought Sandavol played a good 3rd base last night but since that doesn't fit your narrative you didn't mention that. Obviously Sandavol has limitation. Not a secret. But guess what? He's going to get playing time at 3rd base. The only guy we've had play 3rd this year that wasn't shaky is Marrero and he wasn't available last night since he was sent down to make room for a relief pitcher. And playing Marreo there in a National League park is like having 2 pitchers at the bottom of the line up. Since Moreland wasn't going to be playing tell me who was going to play 1st if not Hanley? Rutledge? If that happened who was going to play 3rd then if not Sandavol? You had 3 choices. Hanley at 1st and Rutledge at 3rd or Rutledge at 1st and Pablo at 3rd. Or the choice they went with Hanley at 1st & Pablo at 3rd. Seemed to work out ok. To me any combination of Hanley, Pablo & Rutledge is basically the same.

AS far as having or not having NESN that's an excuse to justify why you didn't take the time to actually find out why he wasn't playing. You are more interested in bashing the manager than finding out why something is being done. I have NESN for every game they broadcast because I get it off the internet for free and send it to the tv to watch. Never miss a game on NESN.

elktonnick

Obviously you haven't heard of blackout rules regarding the Nesn broadcast when the Sox play Washington,Philadelphia or Baltimore since I live in southern De.  My Internet provider blacks out Nesn when the Sox plays those teams.
Yes I will continue to bash Farrell because he richly deserves bashing. Quite frankly while I respect Remy I don't think he has the final word about Panda who is a defensive liability and is recognized as such by most competent baseball observers.

Schloicka

Quote from: elktonnick on June 15, 2017, 08:57:39 AM
I'm "on Farrell" because given a list of options he invariably makes the wrong choice.  My default position is always that the Red Sox win in spite of the dolt who is their manager.

So what your saying is the facts be damned. He's always wrong even when he's not.

Schloicka

Quote from: elktonnick on June 15, 2017, 09:39:41 AM
Obviously you haven't heard of blackout rules regarding the Nesn broadcast when the Sox play Washington,Philadelphia or Baltimore since I live in southern De.  My Internet provider blacks out Nesn when the Sox plays those teams.
Yes I will continue to bash Farrell because he richly deserves bashing. Quite frankly while I respect Remy I don't think he has the final word about Panda who is a defensive liability and is recognized as such by most competent baseball observers.

Black out rules don't apply to the internet. When I had the MLB.tv on the tv when the Sox played the Yanks NESN was blacked out here. So now I get the same feed free from the internet and watch the NESN feed all the time if NESN has the game.

Who said Pablo was great at 3rd? No one. We are talking about 1 game where he played 3rd base and Hanley played 1st. You had a choice of 3 players for 2 spots so either Hanley or Pablo had to play. No other option was available.

elktonnick

Well I stream all theSox games and have for several years.  But because of my a Internet address I get an message whenever I attempt to log on when the Sox play local teams.  So unless you are illegally doing something to get the broadcast mlb blackout rules do apply to all games streamed on MLB.com

Schloicka

Quote from: elktonnick on June 15, 2017, 10:04:53 AM
Well I stream all theSox games and have for several years.  But because of my a Internet address I get an message whenever I attempt to log on when the Sox play local teams.  So unless you are illegally doing something to get the broadcast mlb blackout rules do apply to all games streamed on MLB.com

Of course I'm watching an illegal feed of the game. It's not illegal for me to watch it. The illegal part is on the people who make it available. There are numerous sites that have feeds to the games for free.

elktonnick

Anyone watching an illegal broadcast is in no position to lecture those of us who do things the right way.  It is the height of sophistry to make the distinction that you aren't doing anything illegal but are supporting those who do.

Schloicka

Quote from: elktonnick on June 15, 2017, 10:33:13 AM
Anyone watching an illegal broadcast is in no position to lecture those of us who do things the right way.  It is the height of sophistry to make the distinction that you aren't doing anything illegal but are supporting those who do.

For it to be "sophistry" what I had to say would of had to be false which none of what I said was. I'm not supporting anyone since I'm not paying for the service. It's 100% free. I have no idea who is putting the feeds on line or from where they are doing it. And where exactly am I lecturing anyone about what they watch or how they watch it. All I said was if you wanted to watch the NESN broadcast there are ways to do it. I didn't advocate for you to do anything.

Sophistry is the deliberate use of a false argument with the intent to trick someone or a false or untrue argument. An example of sophistry is when you use a fact in an argument to make your point even though you know the point is false.

elktonnick

Sophistry also refers to being dishonest in your argumentation . To be precise you obtained your rationale in an attempt to rebut my argument by use of illegal means an illegally intercepted broadcast hence dishonest .  That is why I quite rightly refered to your post as the height of sophistry. Actually I was being polite.  I could have used much unkinder language.