GAME #65, BOSTON RED SOX AT PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES

Started by Bear, June 14, 2017, 02:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

RED SOX V PHILLIES

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 14, 2017, 7 PM AT CITIZENS BANK PARK

TV:  NESN, CSN-P

BOSTON, (36-28)..............................................................................PHILADELPHIA, (21-42)

BOSTON:

BRIAN JOHN, LHP, 2-0, 3.44 ERA, 16K

The lefty's last start resulted in a no-decision after he gave up
eight hits and three earned runs in fewer than five innings.  This
is Johnson's first start in a NL park, and fifth overall in his career, so
he'll take his first MLB at-bats.

PHILADELPHIA:

JEREMY HELLICKSON, RHP, 5-4, 5L50 ERA 3K

Hellickson's struggles continue.  He has a 6.43 ERA in his last eight starts.
He allowed his seventh homer on his changeup Friday in St. Louis, which at
the time was the most homers in baseball allowed on the pitch.

Red Sox, Phillies shift series to Philadelphia

Craig Forde

After two games in Boston to start the week, the Red Sox and Phillies change venues to play two more.

Wednesday night's series opener at Citizens Bank Park will see Jeremy Hellickson toe the rubber for the hosts, opposed by southpaw Brian Johnson for Boston.

For the Philadelphia right-hander, it will be his first regular-season start against the Red Sox since his last regular-season start with the Rays back on Sept. 25, 2014.

Hellickson is 4-3 with a 4.41 ERA in 15 appearances against Boston.

Hellickson has allowed seven home runs on changeups this season, the most of any pitcher. He's only two away from tying his career high in that category (2012), and his 8.2-percent homers-per-batted-ball rate on changeups is easily his highest.

Johnson will be making his fourth career start and first against a National League opponent.

The left-hander has had mixed results in three starts this season -- once in each month -- and feels that the path to getting consistent is keeping things simple in his head.

"What got me in trouble last year was overthinking things, and I think with the three starts and now that I'm going [Wednesday], I just go day to day," he said. "Just go pitch to pitch. Attack with that pitch whether it's with Sandy [Leon] or [Christian] Vazquez. Whatever that pitch is at that time, just give it one hundred percent."

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• Red Sox manager John Farrell announced that designated hitter Hanley Ramirez would not see time at first base during the two-game series, and that Mitch Moreland will be the starter at the position.

• Wednesday will mark the return of former Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. to Philadelphia. Now the Red Sox's first-base coach, Amaro served in the role from 2009-15 before joining Boston last season.

"Yeah, it'll be interesting. I don't know if he'll get a standing ovation like [Chase] Utley did," Phils manager Pete Mackanin joked. "I'm sure he's wondering how he's going to be received."

• Phillies first baseman Tommy Joseph entered Tuesday having hit safely in eight straight games, his longest streak at the big league level. In that span, he was hitting .353 with seven RBIs.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170613236235266/red-sox-phillies-shift-series-to-philadelphia/?game_pk=491078

Bear

Red Sox at PHI:
Betts RF,
Pedroia 2B,
Bogaerts SS,
Benintendi LF,
Ramirez 1B,
Bradley Jr. CF,
Sandoval 3B,
Leon C,

Johnson LHP

Bill-806

So, who is the very creative schedule maker ??? slap

Bill-806

Quote from: Bear on June 14, 2017, 02:47:39 AM
Red Sox at PHI:
Betts RF,
Pedroia 2B,
Bogaerts SS,
Benintendi LF,
Ramirez 1B,
Bradley Jr. CF,
Sandoval 3B,
Leon C,

Johnson LHP
  HANLEY at 1st base ???  When will  J F learn ???? thumb_d rofl iono slap

elktonnick

Morelend is hot and playing a gold glove !st base.  He is especially effective against Hellickson going 4 for 8 against him.  Ramirez on the other hand has played sparingly at 1st and almost injured himself during his last time playing there.  Has never got a hit off Hellickson.  So of course Farrell is starting Ramirez instead of Moreland at first tonight.  Just to make sure Ramirez has all the help he can get defensively at 1st, our genius manager will start STONE glove nominee at 3rd Pablo Sandoval.

Rob from Mass

Sox recalling Hector Velazquez. Lord have mercy!!! 

Rob from Mass

Quote from: elktonnick on June 14, 2017, 04:28:54 PM
Morelend is hot and playing a gold glove !st base.  He is especially effective against Hellickson going 4 for 8 against him.  Ramirez on the other hand has played sparingly at 1st and almost injured himself during his last time playing there.  Has never got a hit off Hellickson.  So of course Farrell is starting Ramirez instead of Moreland at first tonight.  Just to make sure Ramirez has all the help he can get defensively at 1st, our genius manager will start STONE glove nominee at 3rd Pablo Sandoval.

Trying to figure out if this is comical or just plain stupid,

elktonnick

Quote from: Rob from Mass on June 14, 2017, 04:34:45 PM
Quote from: elktonnick on June 14, 2017, 04:28:54 PM

Trying to figure out if this is comical or just plain stupid,

In years that I've been watching Farrell, I have never seen or heard him do anything that was funny.  I vote for stupid.

markj

Some first inning runs here which is a nice change. But Hanley just K'd on a ball in the dirt.

Schloicka

Moreland out with a sore foot from where he got hit with the pitch the other night. Guess he's not a gamer.

markj

markj

elktonnick

Bogey has now driven in 3 runs in the first two innings. 5-0

Schloicka

Bill-806

Quote from: markj on June 14, 2017, 06:41:40 PM
5-0 after 2. This is more like it.
  OK, now I feel a little bit better !! thumb_u rofl