GAME #84, SUNDAY, JUNE 30, 2019, NEW YORK YANKEES @ BOSTON RED SOX (LONDON)

Started by markj, June 30, 2019, 08:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elktonnick

Based on Henry's actual words "“It’s not a luxury tax issue, it’s a question of how much money do we want to lose,” Henry said. “We’re already over budget and we were substantially over our budget last year and this year. We’re not going to be looking to add a lot of payroll. And it’s hard to imagine fielding a better team. If we play up to our capabilities we’ll be fine. That’s the question: Will we? We’re halfway through and we haven’t….It’s a worthy team because we invested. Two years in a row we have the highest payroll. It’s not a matter of investment, it’s a matter of playing well.“

I suspect the Manager Neuman is on thin ice with ownership.  I believe he will get more of the blame  than DD is because Henry has a longer relation with the latter than the former and because I believe the manager not the VP for Baseball OPs ,DD, has the day to day responsibility for the team's on the field performance which based on the owner's words is clearly seen as wanting.

Sea Dog 23

DD was in a pickle during the off season.  There was a tight margin with the next step in the LTT.  Free agents were talking unreachable contracts. DD wanted two 1Bs with the platoon and signed Pearce for $6mil (no brainer, he was a Series MVP). There was only a small part of the payroll left, so he tried to add to the BP with some lesser known pieces.

He extended Sale and Nathan, a given.  Then all he!! broke loose when Pearce was injued in ST, Sale had an injury to his toe coming out of ST, and Nathan blows an elbow later.  He rolled the dice and came up losing most of those moves as a result.  Call it the worst of luck or WS hangover, then Cora mismanages the rest of the club at the start of the process.  Whoever is to blame for whatever reason, we have a $240mil team playing .500 ball, that is a reality.  But I think a lot of folks here already knew the pressure around big ticket contracts all on one team.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 01, 2019, 06:11:42 PM
DD was in a pickle during the off season.  There was a tight margin with the next step in the LTT.  Free agents were talking unreachable contracts. DD wanted two 1Bs with the platoon and signed Pearce for $6mil (no brainer, he was a Series MVP). There was only a small part of the payroll left, so he tried to add to the BP with some lesser known pieces.

He extended Sale and Nathan, a given.  Then all he!! broke loose when Pearce was injued in ST, Sale had an injury to his toe coming out of ST, and Nathan blows an elbow later.  He rolled the dice and came up losing most of those moves as a result.  Call it the worst of luck or WS hangover, then Cora mismanages the rest of the club at the start of the process.  Whoever is to blame for whatever reason, we have a $240mil team playing .500 ball, that is a reality.  But I think a lot of folks here already knew the pressure around big ticket contracts all on one team.

Those of us in the know certainly did and I think that includes just about everybody on this very well versed board, but no one could have envisioned just how shitty the bullpen would be.  I mean it has turned out every worse that the worse case scenario I had in mind----and it may get worse before it gets better.  Of course,  we never repeat as champions anyway so I did not envision another WS Title this season, but play like we're playing???????  Not in a thousand years.  I do think  that some drastic action must take place NOW like sending some of the worst ringleaders down to the minors or DFA them---like Barnes, Workman and maybe even Brasier.  We have to send a message that this type of piss poor pitching will not be tolerated.  Since they have been totally shitty, maybe bring up a couple of young pitchers who haven't been brought up yet and just roll the dice because  we are not going anywhere this season.  Someone or some people have to pay for this disgusting and embarrassing way we've been playing.  In other words HEADS HAVE TO ROLL.

longgame

One thing is certain and that is that nobody is stepping up and admitting they screwed up and coming up with a plan to do something about it.  What the problems are and how they got here are pretty clear to every fan and in every analysis I’ve seen - even on NESN and at The Globe.  Nobody gives a crap if Henry “loses money” and it’s DDs job to make the case to him to replace key arms and Pedroia or to have rotation depth.   Cora’s problems are different, from the ST debacle to some truly head scratching at best moves in game. 

Totally agree on the pitching coach.  This has been a problem for some time with the nibbling and pitches in the dirt, etc.  Get the ball in play. 

One more thing.   Betts seems to be looking for a walk every time now.  Find a pitch and drive it.  Someone on TV had said they go after the MVP a little harder but it never seems to affect Mike Trout year after year.  He looks timid. 

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 01, 2019, 09:35:13 PM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 01, 2019, 06:11:42 PM

Those of us in the know certainly did and I think that includes just about everybody on this very well versed board, but no one could have envisioned just how shitty the bullpen would be.  I mean it has turned out every worse that the worse case scenario I had in mind----and it may get worse before it gets better.  Of course,  we never repeat as champions anyway so I did not envision another WS Title this season, but play like we're playing???????  Not in a thousand years.  I do think  that some drastic action must take place NOW like sending some of the worst ringleaders down to the minors or DFA them---like Barnes, Workman and maybe even Brasier.  We have to send a message that this type of piss poor pitching will not be tolerated.  Since they have been totally shitty, maybe bring up a couple of young pitchers who haven't been brought up yet and just roll the dice because  we are not going anywhere this season.  Someone or some people have to pay for this disgusting and embarrassing way we've been playing.  In other words HEADS HAVE TO ROLL.

Those guys would be okay if they weren’t the go-to guys.  Some of these other guys have no business being on a MLB team.