Billy McKinney (L) LF
Harrison Bader (R) CF
Anthony Volpe (R) SS
Ben Rortvedt (L) C

Gametime Temp: 77°F
Chance of Precip: 1%

longgame

Sea Dog 23

TBD for the Yanks.  As of this week their pitchers on the IL were Rodon, Cortez, Montas, Effros (TJS).  I think all of those were in the rotation.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on August 18, 2023, 01:39:50 PM
TBD for the Yanks.  As of this week their pitchers on the IL were Rodon, Cortez, Montas, Effros (TJS).  I think all of those were in the rotation.

A couple of Red Sox pundits referred to the Washinton series as a TRAP ONE, and we fell right into it with some rotten play, hitting, fielding, pitching and above all managing.  We fell back losing two of three and now we face the vengeful Yankees who would like nothing more than to bury us once and for all and maybe save what's left of its season while Cora blunders on with his platooning and smartest man in the room crapola.  One saving grace might me that it looks like finally we have our best lineup for this series opener so long as Alex makes the right moves and stop trying to pass himself off as certified managing genius.  As for Brayan Bello, he pitched very well against the Yankees in his two starts against them earlier this season and we need a gem tonight.  A loss in this series just about finishes us if it hasn't already because of how we stunk up the nation's capitol with another stinkeroo of a series.

longgame

Where is this game tonight? I can’t find it and I can’t watch the Panthers game either because the local Fox channel is at odds with DirecTV.

longgame

MLB nice enough to have a 2 month free AppleTV sub so I went with that.

longgame

And happy I did as the Sox are just beating the snot out of the Yankees. 7-0 in the second.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on August 18, 2023, 06:44:24 PM
And happy I did as the Sox are just beating the snot out of the Yankees. 7-0 in the second.

Well we nabbed the first one and wasn't that a pleasant change of pace to see the Red Sox jump out to a big seven run lead so early in the game.  We had our best lineup in the game tonight and that is what we have to keep doing if we are to have any chance at all of getting a shot at a WC.  I don't want to see another we win the first game and lose the second and third.  We need to win this series, more the better if we could pull a hat trick and take them all, but I have learned not to expect too much of this bunch so I would be very happy with a series win.  At least it would help make up for that miserable excuse for what we did in the DC series.  Bello has pitched some good ball against the Yankees this season, but I do wish he would cut down some on the number of hits he gives up. Still a win is a win but let's not stop again with only one in this series.

Tomorrow August 19th is an anniversary for this Red Sox fan.  Twenty three years ago I concluded my first baseball tour, going to Camden Yards, the old Phily dump, Shea and Yankee Stadium, Cooperstown and finally to a Red Sox game vs the Rangers.  Pedro pitched seven dominating shut out innings, the team led by "Tek, Trot and Lou Merloni won in a romp 9-0.  I walked out Fenway Park, looked back at the ballpark and proclaimed myself a Red Sox fan.  Not a fish story but true even if it might take a leap of faith to believe this story......but it is very true.

longgame

Fred, I was looking at the lineup last night and thinking this was the best lineup they’ve put out there. Let’s hope they stick with it.

Sea Dog 23

That's a great story, Fred.  I've been with the Sox since about the 90s. 

Bello was in command this game.  Was not impressed by the Sox bullpen again last night.  Whitlock lost his concentration and served up a bit meatball to Judge.  Then Bernardino had some big drama in the 9th and had to be bailed out by Martin.

MongoLikeSox

I can finally watch some baseball again as of about 8:00 last night. Turns out the big crack noise I heard during the storm was lightning taking out my line coming to my house from the street. I didn't do the Apple thing this time around, so first game I can watch is today.

Was Whitlock throwing any better or was it just the one big mistake pitch to the wrong guy?

The box score was funny looking. All but one hit came from the first 4 guys.

Alrighty, one win. Hope we get some more this weekend.