Teoscar Hernandez (R) RF
Ty France (R) 1B
Tom Murphy (R) C
Cade Marlowe (L) LF
Jose Caballero (R) 2B

Gametime Temp: 74°F
Chance of Precip: 0%

longgame

Oh boy, Pivetta starting, which he seems to do poorly at.  We can't have someone else throw the first?  Plus we're up against Kirby who I follow because his uncle is a business partner.

Sea Dog 23

The Sox are getting into tepid waters on this trip.  The Mariners are within overtaking Boston in the wildcard race in this series.  Of course lots of other clubs are looking for a resurgence in August. 

Some of those like LAA and Houston have made major additions via trades.  Are the Sox going to become more sellers than buyers this week?  Where is Fred??

MongoLikeSox

Let's hope he can bring that relief mindset into the starting role. The routine change, etc, that they've been talking about. Only this time he's going to start instead of knowing he's going into the 3rd inning for 4+ innings.

This could be a showcase move, too. If that's the case, for the sake of this season alone, I hope it bombs. Pivetta was HUGE for our run in 2021 from the pen.

Sea Dog 23

Since his stint in the All-Star game, Kirby's last three starts are way up and down.  Two ineffective games, giving up 5 and then 6 runs in 4 and 5 innings, were sandwiched arond one stellar game of no runs over 6 innings, scoring 10 K's.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on July 31, 2023, 08:38:08 AM
Oh boy, Pivetta starting, which he seems to do poorly at.  We can't have someone else throw the first?  Plus we're up against Kirby who I follow because his uncle is a business partner.

When I saw this morning that assbite Cora was going to start Pivetta tonight I wanted to break through the computer and pound the living shit out of that bum.  Doesn't Cora ever learn or is he still convinced that he is the smartet man in the room and knows what nobody else does.  For the record Alex you crud, Pivetta cannot get out of the first inning of any start without getting hit or torched.  He is better coming into a game as a reliever and he has proved he can pitch is that situat
ion veery well, but, again Cora has to do it his stupid way, the rotten no good @#$%&+?.

Sea Dog 23

Looks like Pivetta pitched a solid game until he got into trouble in the 8th, and holy moly.  Sox just could not get to Kirby for anything.  End of story.  A fair amount of hitting, just could not put anything together.  I don't think Bloom will be in a buying mood tomorrow with this losing streak.  Just a guess.

Schloicka

MongoLikeSox

One of those games. A bunch of "at 'em balls", as they say. We had a chance to win the game.

Pivetta gutted one out. Perhaps we change our approach to how we pitch Raleigh? I thought it was a good idea to bring him back out in the 8th and to pull him when we did. If we were tied or had the lead by only a run, I might have thought differently.

At the time, I had thought Cora over-managed the 8th inning PH'ing Refsnyder for Casas and then with his defensive switches going into the bottom of the 8th.He didn't have to sub Arroyo in for Verdugo. He could have simply subbed him in for Refsnyder.

Playing Turner in the field too much may or may not have cost us his services for a game or two. He suffered a heel contusion running out a ball in the 9th. No idea if it was exclusive to that play or if he had been getting beat up a little bit playing the field. We've been playing with fire with him on the field for hopes of better offense on any given day. Damned if we do, damned if we don't. We use the tools that the smart people get for us in the off season.

elktonnick

In general I'm not too upset at the teams three loses in a row on rhe west coast.  Historically this is what Red Sox team do on the West Coast.  They win a game then when jet lag sets in they lose. 

It's Coras managing that leaves me shaking my head.

longgame

All I know is I fell asleep and it was a close game in the 8th inning.  I think I recall Pivetta coming out, but didn't make it to see the Jacues fiasco.  Too bad the Sox blew some great opportunities but Seattle also flashed some leather at some key times.  Limping into the trade deadline and no moves made.  May be for the best.