Shea Langeliers (R) C
Zack Gelof (R) 2B
Lawrence Butler (L) RF
Brett Harris (R) 3B
Max Schuemann (R) SS

Gametime Temp: 87F
Chance of Precip: 15%

SeaBeachFred

Let's not get carried away with over optimism about playing the A's.  Yes, we should win this series and maybe even get a hat trick if we play solid baseball, but we have had letdowns before.  And yes, we  took it to the Yankees over the weekend with a 2-1 edge but, again, we have to play solid defense for a change, hit consistently and get good pitching to stay on this roll we are on.  Sometimes our team has played to the level of their opponents but that will not work with the A's.  We have to play better than they do; then we can win those games.

Sea Dog 23

Cora says Devers is playing with soreness from a shoulder "AC joint".  He will play tonight and rest of the week - I think - but will miss the All Star game.

Sea Dog 23

Busy 1st. A's get 2 runs on 3 hits.  Sox answer with 3 runs of their own.

longgame

longgame

longgame

markj

Wow, this game turned into a rout in a big hurry. I hope they save some offense for the rest of the series.

Sea Dog 23

Sox blow it open in the 2nd,  two blasts from z Abreu and zHamilton. It's 11-2.

markj

Nice AB, O'Neill. Three pitches, three called strikes. Thanks for the effort.

markj

markj

Well he finally got the last out and the Sox manage to hang onto the lead in what was a blowout game. Let's hope that doesn't carry into the rest of the series.

Sea Dog 23

Nice win.  Wish the new guy Wingenter, had not given up that dinger.  Sox manage to get their home record to 21-22.

markj

10 games over .500. Although I read somewhere that they've been well over .500 before the ASB several times in recent years and still ended up finishing last twice. If they pick up some talent and get some injured players back, they may have a shot at a WC slot.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: markj on July 09, 2024, 09:28:47 PM10 games over .500. Although I read somewhere that they've been well over .500 before the ASB several times in recent years and still ended up finishing last twice. If they pick up some talent and get some injured players back, they may have a shot at a WC slot.
Indeed, we were in the hunt the previous two seasons in July. Last year, the ill conceived 3-man SP rotation ran out of gas concluding with the self inflicted dagger of trading for a crappy one-inning guy and sending one of the 3-4 inning guys down. 2022 we were 10 games over going in to July when the combinations of no closer, starters going down and a skid that started in Wrigley where Franchy almost single-handedly started losing games playing 1B for a week or so.

One little footnote to all this. I just looked it up. We were still 8 games above 500 on August 26th last year and 3 games back in the wild card race. We went 7-23 after that. I have almost no memory of that last month, but it was not baseball's fault. LOL