GAME #110, CHICAGO WHITE SOX AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, August 04, 2017, 05:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

WHITE SOX V RED SOX

THURSDAY, AUGUST 4, 2017, 7 PM AT FENWAY PARK

TV:  NESN, CSN-C

CHICAGO, (41-65).......................................................................................BOSTON, (60-49)

CHICAGO:

CARLOS RODON, LHP, 1-4, 5.23 ERA, 40K

Rodon is coming off one of his best starts of the season, allowing one run in 6 2/3
innings and striking out nine.  He credited his success to a strong side session, and he said
he's getting a better feel from his pitches.

BOSTON:

EDUARDO RODRIGUEZ, LHP, 4-3, 4.16 ERA, 84K

The left-hander has yet to return to his old form since coming back from the DL last
month with a right knee subluxation.  Rodriguez has a 6.75 ERA in his last three starts
and hasn't recorded a win since his return.

Young LHPs Rodon, E-Rod face off at Fenway

Scott Merkin

Eduardo Rodriguez has made three starts without a victory since coming off the disabled list due to right knee subluxation. The southpaw tries to end that winless streak Friday night against lefty Carlos Rodon and the White Sox at Fenway Park.

"Lot of pitches. Lot of foul balls. Deep counts," said Red Sox manager John Farrell of Rodriguez before Thursday night's series opener. "This is a very aggressive fastball-hitting team where a change of speeds might have a little bit more of an effect.

"As Eddy does he gets a lot of swing and miss up, they fouled off a lot of those pitches, they took some pitches. The pitch count climbed on him. His night was cut short, but he gave us everything he had."

Rodriguez, 24, threw 107 pitches in four innings over his last start against the Royals.

Rodon, also 24, gets the call for the White Sox, making his seventh start since returning from the 60-day disabled list June 28. Rodon has struck out 20 over his past two starts combined, although he did not pick up a victory in either one.

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• Matt Davidson continues to experience soreness in his right wrist and is unlikely to play Friday.

• This season, Rodon's rate of four-seam fastballs has risen from about 32 percent last season to 52 percent, and he is getting 47.5 percent of his strikeouts with the pitch, up from 18.5 percent. Of the three times in his career he has recorded at least five strikeouts on four-seamers in a single game, two have come in his past two outings.

• Rafael Devers has homered in two of his past four games.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170803246249226/young-lhps-rodon-e-rod-face-off-at-fenway/?game_pk=491725

Bear

Red Sox v. Rodon:

Betts RF,
Benintendi LF,
Nuñez 2B,
Ramirez 1B,
Devers 3B,
Bogaerts SS,
Young DH,
Vazquez C,
Bradley Jr. CF,

Rodriguez LHP

Bill-806

E-ROD concerns me.....He has put on the  LB's....  Keep an eye on him ......  BTW, what a difference when WE score early,  shifting the pressure to the other teams pitcher & defense !!!   thumb_u

Sea Dog 23

Rondon is a great talent.  I saw him pitch in college.  iirc he reached the ChiSox during his first year after the draft.  Howver he has been plagued by tendenitis in 2017.

ipot

Quote from: Bill-806 on August 04, 2017, 01:01:27 PM
  E-ROD concerns me.....He has put on the  LB's....  Keep an eye on him ......  BTW, what a difference when WE score early,  shifting the pressure to the other teams pitcher & defense !!!   thumb_u

A lot is riding on E-Rod pitching a good game here.  Otherwise, we have a problem.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

longgame

E-Rod has the modern pitcher's problem - can't stand to throw something a guy may swing at on 0-2.  He gets great swings and misses, then throws the ball all over the place, then has to throw a strike.  It's like pitchers are conditioned to use as many pitches as possible within 6 innings.

longgame

Setting up for another walk-off win I hope! 

Where is everyone tonight?  I guess I'm the only one stuck at home watching the game!  sigh

longgame

markj

Kimbrel is slipping lately. And I've been seeing a lot of hits get between 1st and 2nd since Pedey's been out.

markj

Kimbrel settles down and gets out of that jam. Walkoff time.

markj

markj

Maybe Vaz can do it again? Ellsbury did it in two consecutive games once.

markj

markj

Helluva play by Vaz to pick off the runner at 2B.

markj

Moreland comes through with the walkoff homer.