GAME #104, KC ROYALS AT BOSTON RED SO4

Started by Bear, July 27, 2017, 07:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

Ipot, Pedroia was arrogant when telling the reports he was standing here.

Don't tell me what your doing Pedey, go out there and show me.

There will be no "W" until there is peace with this team.  Most of this
problem is on Farrell...lacks leadership qualities.

And maybe, just maybe, with all this turmoil, it wouldn't hurt if our hitting
coach had an assistant, maybe two.  We can't hit the side of a barn. sigh

Bill-806

It is with a heavy heart that I awake this morning to another RED SOX LOSS !!!  I can't take much more of this !!!  CHANGE IS NEEDED !!  Now  GRASSHOPPER !!! thumb_d slap rofl

MongoLikeSox

I've been hoping beyond hope all week long for a change. The only thing we got was a non-struggling version of what we had and kid who's going to have to figure out a lot of what not to do via bad example or he'll be walking around like AB and the other youngsters.

I saw something last night I have not seen before. Betts popped up to the mound. Well, maybe 1/3rd the way there. He walks straight to the dugout with bat in hand. Not even a cursory jog to first. Incredible

So, here is a silver lining thought that doesn't include sugar coating a turd, toting the company line and insulting other forum members along the way. Nunez may still be of value. He's been around long enough to know to stay within his game and hit like he has to hit to succeed. Maybe some of that will rub off. 

elktonnick

Mongo, I noticed the same thing with Betts.  The Royals did all the things the selfish Red Sox players don't.  Twice the Royals hitting against the shift hit an easy ground ball down the empty left side.  The team needs a major shot in the butt.  I'd fire Farrell immediately.

MongoLikeSox

One needs to look no further than the playoffs last year to see what a difference this team was compared to earlier that year. The men running the Indians and the Royals did it right. This was supposed to be us. All the cards were lining up. We were on the way.

Poof!!! 

And we are still doing it wrong. Incredible.

I almost turned the TV off, but kept the TV on and I went into the other room, hoping to time it right for Devers' at bats.

Rob from Mass

Quote from: elktonnick on July 29, 2017, 07:33:06 AM
Mongo, I noticed the same thing with Betts.  The Royals did all the things the selfish Red Sox players don't.  Twice the Royals hitting against the shift hit an easy ground ball down the empty left side.  The team needs a major shot in the butt.  I'd fire Farrell immediately.

I'm on board with JF being shown the door .My question what happens when the new guy takes over and this IMHO OVERRATED OFFENSE still sputters out of control? We all came into this season hoping Mookie was what he showed last year and that has not happened with his BA.JBJ is what he probably will be.A 5-star elite CF that will hit .260 plus with around 20 plus HRs which IMO is very good considering what he gives on DEFENSE. Bogaerts is the main problem seeing that on both sides of the ball he is TERRIBLE at best. Hanley has not been the same and it's probably a result of his nagging shoulder .Moreland NEEDS TO BE ON THE DL and that is really crazy that they let play through his discomfort of his toe injury.Bring up Travis and let him hit .270--.280 with his gap power. I don`t see DD doing anything major as there is too much to fix.Perhaps an RP and little else.

Rob from Mass

2 games behind the Yanks and the ship is sinking rapidly.

Bill-806

Quote from: Rob from Mass on July 29, 2017, 08:08:52 AM
2 games behind the Yanks and the ship is sinking rapidly.
  "DON'T GIVE UP THE SHIP"  !!!

elktonnick

"We have met the enemy and they are ours. " us

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on July 29, 2017, 08:39:02 AM
"We have met the enemy and they are ours. " us

Farrell has to go.  As I've repeatedly he is the worst manager in the league.  As a strategist he is pa thetic, as a leader he is worse......and it looks like he has lost control of the team.  A new manager, as long as it is not a Farrell clone, can at least try to restore order for the rest of this dismal season.  If Farrell stays to the end of this year, the problems will still be unsolved by ST next March.  Or is DD still under orders from Prune Face to leave Farrell alone??????

ipot

Quote from: Bear on July 29, 2017, 01:54:36 AM
Ipot, Pedroia was arrogant when telling the reports he was standing here.

Don't tell me what your doing Pedey, go out there and show me.

There will be no "W" until there is peace with this team.  Most of this
problem is on Farrell...lacks leadership qualities.

And maybe, just maybe, with all this turmoil, it wouldn't hurt if our hitting
coach had an assistant, maybe two.  We can't hit the side of a barn. sigh

You're right, bear. "Arrogant" is the better word.  There's no pulse in that clubhouse.  I think they are starting to believe they are mediocre with the bats.  And when that infects, it absolutely falls on Farrell.

"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 29, 2017, 10:20:49 AM
Farrell has to go.  As I've repeatedly he is the worst manager in the league.  As a strategist he is pa thetic, as a leader he is worse......and it looks like he has lost control of the team.  A new manager, as long as it is not a Farrell clone, can at least try to restore order for the rest of this dismal season.  If Farrell stays to the end of this year, the problems will still be unsolved by ST next March.  Or is DD still under orders from Prune Face to leave Farrell alone??????
On replacing JF, which is premature I am sure just because owners would never fire him at the same point in time that it would seem to show the world that the Press is in charge, what's your take on who the pitching brain is? JF, Willis or that guy in charge of pitcher development? (Banister, IIRC)

How was that for a run-on question?

The thought of a JF clone will haunt my dreams for some time. Thanks a lot!  I was gonna sleep off a big lunch just now.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 29, 2017, 01:01:34 PM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 29, 2017, 10:20:49 AM
On replacing JF, which is premature I am sure just because owners would never fire him at the same point in time that it would seem to show the world that the Press is in charge, what's your take on who the pitching brain is? JF, Willis or that guy in charge of pitcher development? (Banister, IIRC)

How was that for a run-on question?

The thought of a JF clone will haunt my dreams for some time. Thanks a lot!  I was gonna sleep off a big lunch just now.

Well you know Mongo, misery likes company as they say.  However, I share your haunts.  One day very soon I am going to start a new thread called Red Sox Blunders 2011-2017 and I guarantee you it will really everyone haunts.  Incredible how many bad moves and decisions were made by this organization since the collapse of 2011.  For instance, why wasn't Torey Lovullo given the manager's job after his sterling performance the tail end of that disastrous Farrell-led 2015 season.  JF could have been kicked upstairs and given a ceremonial spot in the front office where I think he best suited.  We are are paying dearly for that mistake right now.  A lot more to come as soon as catalog all of them.  I don't want to miss any.

longgame

I just don't see any way Farrell gets fired during the season so we need to stop fixating on it.  It's simply not going to happen.  There's another culprit and that's Dombrowski who left this team incomplete, gambled and lost on his plan to play Sandoval, watched his Diva pitchers wilt and most importantly didn't add enough power in this lineup to get the job done.  It's pretty bad when the problem has been clear all along and the Sox have done nothing to address it.  While getting Holt back is good and Nunez is a good hitter and a positive addition to the lineup, you need to have a couple of guys who are a threat to go deep at any time, especially with men on base.  The Sox have a lineup with absolutely no fear.  You can't get hurt pitching to anyone.

elktonnick

I too have become soured on Dombrowski but he isn't the one the media is fixated on replacing.  There have been at least three columns in both the Herald and Globe criticizing Farrell by name but none attacking Dombrowski.  No as much as Dombrowski is to blame for the current state of this team, it is Farrell who is being called to account not DD.  At least not yet.