GAME #103, BOSTON RED SOX AT SEATTLE MARINERS

Started by Bear, July 26, 2017, 05:29:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

RED SOX V MARINERS

WEDNESDAY, JULY 26, 2017, 3:30 PM AT SAFECO FIELD

TV:  NESN, ROOTNW

BOSTON, (55-47)............................................................................................SEATTLE, (51-51)

BOSTON:

CHRIS SALE, LHP,  12-4, 2.48 ERA, 200K

The ace continues to dominate just about every time he takes the mound.
In his last outing in Anaheim, Sale joined Nolan Ryan, Randy Johnson and Pedro
Martinez as the only pitcher in history to reach 200 strikeouts in 20 starts or
fewer.

SEATTLE:

ANDREW MOORE, RHP, 1-2, 5.70 ERA, 13K

Seattle's No. 3-ranked prospect, per MLBPipeline.com, will make his sixth
career start as he looks to shake off back-to-back rough outings as he's allowed
10 runs over nine innings.  Moore has surrendered nine homers in 30 innings
on the year.

Sale seeks 13th win vs. Moore, Mariners

Josh Horton

Just five days after Mariners starter Andrew Moore matched up against Yankees veteran CC Sabathia, the rookie right-hander goes toe-to-toe with another big-ticket hurler.

Moore (1-2, 5.70 ERA) will match up with six-time All-Star and American League Cy Young favorite Chris Sale (12-4, 2.58 ERA) Wednesday to conclude a three-game series between the Mariners and Red Sox at Safeco Field.

Sale has been magnificent lately, having allowed no earned runs in three of his last four starts with a 2-1 record and a 1.30 ERA. He'll look to snap Boston's four-game losing streak.

What has Boston manager John Farrell learned about Sale in his first season with the Red Sox?

"The competitor that he is," Farrell said. "And that's not just on his game days. He's a strong competitor, whether it's a team function we get involved with or a game of ping pong, he's out to beat anyone he's going against. ... He's been a model of consistency from every aspect."

Moore said facing off with Sale will be "pretty cool."

"He's one of the best in the game and it's going to be good challenge," Moore said. "I try not to think about that or the score or anything too much, just sticking to the gameplan. But it will be a good challenge. I'm looking forward to it."
Moore has stumbled in his last couple of starts after a steady debut, allowing 10 earned with a pair of losses in his last two outings.

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• Sale is 4-1 lifetime against the Mariners with a 2.44 ERA. He's thrown three complete games against Seattle, his most against any team in baseball.

• Boston's ace is on a torrid pace punching out opposing hitters. He's recorded the highest strikeout rate of his career thus far, striking out 12.7 hitters per nine innings. He recorded his 200th strikeout of the season in his last outing against the Angels and joined Nolan Ryan (1977), Randy Johnson (1999-2001) and Pedro Martinez (2000) as the only pitchers in history to reach that mark in their first 20 starts of the season, according to Elias Sports. Among Sale's 200 strikeouts this season, 154 have been swinging, 178 have come on either a four-seam fastball or slider, and 90 have come on pitches that hit the edges of Statcast's detailed strike zone.

• As dominant as Sale has been, Mariners slugger Nelson Cruz has posted great numbers against him. Cruz is slashing .348/.400/.609 in 25 career plate appearances against Sale.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170725244370390/sale-seeks-13th-win-vs-moore-mariners/?game_pk=491606

Bear

Finale at Safeco:

Holt RF,
Benintendi LF,
Pedroia 2B,
Ramirez DH,
Bradley Jr. CF,
Moreland 1B,
Bogaerts SS,
León C,
Devers 3B,

Sale LHP.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Bear on July 26, 2017, 05:30:37 AM
RESERVED

Even our shitty team ought to be able to win this one, BUT DON'T COUNT ON IT.  A shitty team that is falling apart is still a shitty team.  Besides, there is Farrell ready willing and able to screw things up if need be.  Go, do I hate this team.

Rob from Mass

Tim Britton @TimBritton
Betts is sitting for the first time since the season's first week, when he had the flu. He had started 98 straight games.

Bear

Well, Fred, we still have to get at least one run in; are we capable of doing it?
Good question.
rofl

Sea Dog 23

(Andrew Moore) looks to shake off back-to-back rough outings as he's allowed
10 runs over nine innings.

...........yet tonight he will pitch like an up and coming Cy Young candidate.

Rob from Mass

Pete Abraham‏Verified account @PeteAbe

Betts is 1 of his last 18 and has played 98 straight games. Day off today + the team being off tomorrow gives him a needed re-set.

Bill-806

Quote from: Rob from Mass on July 26, 2017, 01:38:57 PM
Pete Abraham‏Verified account @PeteAbe

Betts is 1 of his last 18 and has played 98 straight games. Day off today + the team being off tomorrow gives him a needed re-set.
  CONCUR !!!    Two days for one game !!   SOX need to win today for Chris Sale as YANK$ are closing the gap and the RAYS were ahead of Baltimore into the 8th inning... Must win today !!!

ipot

Sale HAS to go: 7 inns, 1 ER, 6 hits, 0 BB, 11Ks.  And will still be on the hook for the L or a No Decision.

That's how pathetic this team has sunk.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

BoSoxFanNY

The Rays won and the Yankees
are on their way to winning against the Reds.

DAMN!

Our Sox HAVE TO WIN today.

I read somewhere that the Sox have the worst
record since July 5th.
WHAT has happened to this team????
Injuries?  All teams have injuries.

UGHHHHHHH
A mere week ago the Red Sox were 14 games
over .500 . . .

AND they have the Kansas City Royals to play
when they return to Fenway, and the Royals
are on a winning roll.

Rob from Mass

Sox lose today and fall 2 games back of the Yanks.
The Even more disturbing news is they face off with the hottest team in baseball for 4 games with the surging Royals.

BoSoxFanNY

AND what kind of lineup today??????
ARE they trying NOT to give Chris Sale run support?

I just don't understand.
They have an off day tomorrow.

WHERE is Mookie Betts????

I am feeling disheartened.

I miss the June winning Red Sox team.

Rob from Mass

Hanley  BB   JBJ 2b and Moreland sac fly give Sox early 1-0 lead.

Schloicka

HR Devers. 1st MLB hit. Nice swing. Doesn't look over matched. Even last night I thought he looked decent at the plate. Now I stick Nunez at short and see what happens.

Rob from Mass

Quote from: Schloicka on July 26, 2017, 03:20:57 PM
HR Devers. 1st MLB hit. Nice swing. Doesn't look over matched. Even last night I thought he looked decent at the plate.
427 foot  bomb