GAME #96, TORONTO BLUE JAYS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, July 19, 2017, 03:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

Good game. Wish they'd do that more often.  thumb_u

Schloicka

An odd stat. The Sox are 27-13 when Marrero starts. A .675 winning percentage. Let him start all the time at that rate.

BoSoxFanNY

Quote from: markj on July 19, 2017, 08:59:25 PM
Good game. Wish they'd do that more often.  thumb_u

Absolutely!
Fun to watch them score runs early!
Good pitching + run support = an enjoyable WIN.

AND the Yankees and Rays lost this afternoon.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on July 19, 2017, 08:24:39 PM
Nice job by Pomeranz, they needed him to go as deep as he could and into the 6 2/3 is very good for him.

What a nice change to get an early lead and hold it.  This one may get done before midnight!

I'm not going to say things are looking up, but they may be starting to look a little up after tonight.  Early breakout in scoring, a good outing again by Drew and decent bullpen work.  I hope Marrero can hold the fort down at short as long as he is there, but like tonight, it would help he could chip in with some hits.   That two run single by him in the second set the pace and we needed that. I would like to start hitting in double figures and we may need that tomorrow if Fister is on the mound for us.  For that to happen though some of the guys have to start hitting better than they have, but we gained a little ground tonight on our two pursuers and we need as much breathing room as can manage.  Please don't give it back tomorrow.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Schloicka on July 19, 2017, 09:10:16 PM
An odd stat. The Sox are 27-13 when Marrero starts. A .675 winning percentage. Let him start all the time at that rate.

Someone send Farrell a wire because I wonder if he is aware of that.  On that score, that record is food for thought.  Maybe the guy does bring something extra to the ball field....like good luck.

MongoLikeSox

Even more odd. 30 hits, 29 runs. 22RBI. Efficient.

Bear

Enjoy tonite's win, Fister tomorrow. iono
Surely we must have someone in Triple-A
who could do a better job.
How can we get ahead by winning 1 or 2, then giving one back.
We have Sale, Price, Porcello, Pomeranz, Rodriguez, (Johnson)
and we have to use Fister?
I don't recall one of our starters injured....someone please explain
this to me.   sigh

ipot

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 19, 2017, 10:14:28 PM
Even more odd. 30 hits, 29 runs. 22RBI. Efficient.

Very strange indeed.   :-X
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Bear on July 19, 2017, 11:36:34 PM
this to me.   sigh
They are using the pushing Sale back thing as the big excuse. I wonder if an agreement was made about that appearance in the extra inning affair that doing that would not cost him that last shot? If that agreement was made and reneged, that would be an obvious example of a reason to distrust management. May be feasible.

I've been thinking for a couple of years now that a team with depth would go to a six-man during dog-days. Look at Japan and their pitchers coming over here and tanking on the 5-day rotation. I wonder if this is anything along those lines. Probably a long shot reason, but our starters did come out with impressive starts after the break. 

If that is the case, I have at least two guys I'd rather see, but they pitched two days ago to save the staff and we won. Bonus!!!

But, I think this is really DD playing boss and is making JF do it. DD probably has a real liking of the guy and wishes that old magic would come back? I thought that could hear it in Eck's voice when him and OB were announcing to their viewers the changes. It sounded to me like a company line.

(edit - I realize it's a rhetorical question, but I had been thinking some on the subject and decided to offer up my thoughts here. )

Bill-806

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 20, 2017, 05:57:09 AM
Quote from: Bear on July 19, 2017, 11:36:34 PM
this to me.   sigh
They are using the pushing Sale back thing as the big excuse. I wonder if an agreement was made about that appearance in the extra inning affair that doing that would not cost him that last shot? If that agreement was made and reneged, that would be an obvious example of a reason to distrust management. May be feasible.

I've been thinking for a couple of years now that a team with depth would go to a six-man during dog-days. Look at Japan and their pitchers coming over here and tanking on the 5-day rotation. I wonder if this is anything along those lines. Probably a long shot reason, but our starters did come out with impressive starts after the break. 

If that is the case, I have at least two guys I'd rather see, but they pitched two days ago to save the staff and we won. Bonus!!!

But, I think this is really DD playing boss and is making JF do it. DD probably has a real liking of the guy and wishes that old magic would come back? I thought that could hear it in Eck's voice when him and OB were announcing to their viewers the changes. It sounded to me like a company line.

(edit - I realize it's a rhetorical question, but I had been thinking some on the subject and decided to offer up my thoughts here. )
  After todays (Thursday) game Fister will be taking his sinker ball to the bullpen, I am confident that he will make contributions there... thumb_u

ojdidit

Just read another interesting statistic. Marrero has 22 RBI in 46 at bats with runners in scoring position. Ramirez has 19 RBI in 99 at bats with runners in scoring position. Last night Marrero did his usual find offensive job only at shortstop instead of third.

Bill-806

Quote from: ojdidit on July 20, 2017, 07:17:00 AM
Just read another interesting statistic. Marrero has 22 RBI in 46 at bats with runners in scoring position. Ramirez has 19 RBI in 99 at bats with runners in scoring position. Last night Marrero did his usual find offensive job only at shortstop instead of third.
  B I N G O  dat !!!    thumb_u rofl

Rob from Mass

Sox now benefiting from the complete turnaround from Pomeranz. 9-2 in his last 11 starts and bringing down his ERA from 4.9 to 3.5.

Sox IMHO not in 1st place without him pitching like a very solid #3 SP.

Think where they would be with him hovering around a 5 ERA before he found himself and started pitching like he was while in the NL.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Rob from Mass on July 20, 2017, 09:35:15 AM
Sox now benefiting from the complete turnaround from Pomeranz. 9-2 in his last 11 starts and bringing down his ERA from 4.9 to 3.5.

Think where they would be with him hovering around a 5 ERA before he found himself and started pitching like he was while in the NL.
Indeed. Been a pleasure to watch. I thought he checked-out for good in Oakland. To me, that's his big turn around moment.

ojdidit

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 20, 2017, 10:06:04 AM
Quote from: Rob from Mass on July 20, 2017, 09:35:15 AM

Indeed. Been a pleasure to watch. I thought he checked-out for good in Oakland. To me, that's his big turn around moment.

I am having a crow Bar-B-Que for myself, Fred and Ted thanks to Pomeranz.