GAME #96, TORONTO BLUE JAYS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, July 19, 2017, 03:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

BLUE JAYS V RED SOX

WEDNESDAY, JULY 19, 2017, 7 PM AT FENWAY PARK

TV:  NESN, SNET

TORONTO, (43-50)............................................................................................BOSTON, (53-12)

TORONTO:

AARON SANCHEZ, RHP, 1-2, 3.94 ERA, 22K

Sanchez looked and pitched injury free in his last start, a six-inning gem for his
first win of the season.  He's only pitched twice since the middle of May, but he'll
aim for his fifth straight win against Boston, dating back to 2015.

BOSTON:

DREW POMERANZ, LHP, 9-4, 3.75 ERA 105K

Pomeranz is coming off a no-decision vs the Yankees in which he allowed four
runs in six innings, but struck out seven.  He's won his past three decisions, with
his last loss coming June 11.  He has pitched into the sixth in five of his past six.

Jays' Sanchez, Sox's Pomeranz set to duel

Evan Chronis

Aaron Sanchez will look to continue his dominance against the Red Sox when he takes the Fenway Park mound Wednesday night.

The right-hander has collected four straight wins against Boston dating back to 2015.

Sanchez will also be happy to be back pitching at the historic ballpark, as he's 3-0 in six games at Fenway. His 2.05 ERA there is his best against any team that he's made at least three starts.

The start will only be Sanchez's eighth of the season due to a blister issue on his throwing hand that he's had most of the year. However, the pitcher looked back to full health in his first start back from the All-Star break. Sanchez pitched six innings, allowing seven hits and one unearned run, against the Tigers to earn his first win of the season.

"I liked everything I saw tonight and hopefully that propels him," Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said after Sanchez's start. "And his finger feels good. It wouldn't surprise me if he got on a nice little roll."

The Red Sox will counter with left-hander Drew Pomeranz as he looks to continue his streak of solid outings. Pomeranz faced the Blue Jays recently, allowing one run in six innings of a 15-1 Red Sox win on July 2. In his last start, the lefty earned a no-decision against the Yankees after allowing four runs in another six-inning performance.

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• Some of the biggest hitters in Boston's lineup have struggled against Sanchez. Hanley Ramirez is 2-for-13 with five strikeouts against Sanchez, while Xander Bogaerts (who had an MRI on his right hand Tuesday) is 4-for-22 with four strikeouts. Dustin Pedroia hits .176 lifetime against the righty.

• Sanchez threw a fastball (four-seamer or two-seamer) about 82 percent of the time in his last start. He's the ninth pitcher this season -- and second Blue Jay, after J.A. Happ -- to reach the 80-percent mark in a start of at least 100 pitches this season.

• High pitch counts have plagued Pomeranz. The lefty averages 96.1 pitches per outing while averaging 5.33 innings per start.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170718242915888/jays-sanchez-soxs-pomeranz-set-to-duel/?game_pk=491521

Bear

Red Sox v. Sanchez:

Betts RF,
Benintendi LF,
Pedroia 2B,
Moreland 1B,
Young DH,
Bradley Jr. CF,
Vazquez C,
Holt 3B,
Marrero SS,

Pomeranz LHP

longgame

They were showing Sox numbers against Sanchez last night.  All really bad.  Look for another night of quizzical looks as they swing at balls out of the strike zone and let the good pitches go by.

elktonnick

Quote from: longgame on July 19, 2017, 07:56:26 AM
They were showing Sox numbers against Sanchez last night.  All really bad.  Look for another night of quizzical looks as they swing at balls out of the strike zone and let the good pitches go by.
Their approach is driving me nuts.  Watch the Astros.  Those guys swing at their pitch whether it is early in the count or not.

Bill-806

Quote from: elktonnick on July 19, 2017, 08:03:47 AM
Quote from: longgame on July 19, 2017, 07:56:26 AM
Their approach is driving me nuts.  Watch the Astros.  Those guys swing at their pitch whether it is early in the count or not.
  The old "KEEP THE LINE MOVING", except we don't have the bats to do it.....

Rob from Mass

Red Sox's Xander Bogaerts: Diagnosed with muscle contusion, sprained hand

Bill-806

Quote from: Rob from Mass on July 19, 2017, 11:29:05 AM
Red Sox's Xander Bogaerts: Diagnosed with muscle contusion, sprained hand
  Begs the question, why has he been playing for the last week or so ???  Who the heck is calling the shots over there in that clubhouse ???

Bear

Red Sox announce moves:

RHPs Kyle Martin and Ben Taylor up,

LHP Brian Johnson and RHP Hector Velazquez down.

11:34 AM - 19 Jul 2017

Bill-806

Quote from: Bear on July 19, 2017, 01:40:07 PM
Red Sox announce moves:

Taylor had a good start of the season then faltered a bit, hope he has made the needed adjustments...  This is our first look at Martin, "good luck SON, make us proud" !!

MongoLikeSox

Red Sox announce moves:

Those two going down was almost easy to predict. No days off , a double header and over an extra game worth of free baseball in a 5 day span. On top of that, we will need 4-5 arms tomorrow unless Fister somehow dazzles. It was really only a matter of who.

I see this whole Fister thing as Valasquez verses Fister for that long relief, inning chomp spot. The fan in me wants to see Hector prevail. 

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 19, 2017, 02:49:48 PM
Red Sox announce moves:

Those two going down was almost easy to predict. No days off , a double header and over an extra game worth of free baseball in a 5 day span. On top of that, we will need 4-5 arms tomorrow unless Fister somehow dazzles. It was really only a matter of who.

I see this whole Fister thing as Valasquez verses Fister for that long relief, inning chomp spot. The fan in me wants to see Hector prevail.

The fan in me wants to see Fister gone.  He has done nothing at all for us since he's been with us except get lit up.  Perhaps he might be a good man in the bullpen as a situation reliever.

longgame

I don't get Fister either.  I guess they wanted to get another day off for Sale for whatever reason so they have Fister in and then back to normal.  I'd guess this is the last start he makes barring injury, but I'd rather run Johnson out there if it comes to that.

Sox need to win these next two to have a winning homestand against division rivals who are in third and last place.  The Blue Jays aren't very good but the Sox make them look like contenders.

Rob from Mass

In case there is someone wondering and I don`t know why anyone would  PANDA IS OFFICIALLY RELEASED.

Rob from Mass

Quote from: Bear on July 19, 2017, 03:05:14 AM
Red Sox v. Sanchez:

Betts RF,
Benintendi LF,
Pedroia 2B,
Moreland 1B,
Young DH,
Bradley Jr. CF,
Vazquez C,
Holt 3B,
Marrero SS,

Pomeranz LHP

Looking at a lineup like this and I wonder how they are in 1st place.

Sea Dog 23

Maybe some breathing room for the Sox.  Rays, who are en fuego, have blown a 2-0 lead and trail Sonny Gray and the As 4-2 in the 6th.