GAME #48, SEATTLE MARINERS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, May 27, 2017, 01:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

MARINERS V RED SOX

SATURDAY, MAY 27, 2017, 4PM AT FENWAY PARK

TV:  NESN, ROOTNW

SEATTLE, (21-28).......................................................................BOSTON, (26-21)

MARINERS:

ROB WHALEN, RHP, 0-0, -,-ERA, O K

The 23-year old makes his first start for Seattle after missing most of spring
with shoulder and calf issues.  He was 1-2 with a 6.57ERA in five starts for Atlanta
last year and just going eight innings his last outing.

BOSTON:

BRIAN JOHNSON, LHP, 1-0, 7.20ERA, 6K

The lefty who will be called from Triple-A Pawtucket, gets his second spot start
of '17.  This is Johnson's third MLB start, and first at Fenway.  He got his first
career win in Toronto on April 18, allowing seven hits and four runs in five frames.

Mariners, Red Sox turn to fresh arms

Evan Chronis

Saturday's game between the Red Sox and Mariners will feature a matchup of pitchers with seven career starts between them. Boston left-hander Brian Johnson will make his first career start at Fenway Park after being called up from Triple-A Pawtucket on Saturday.

Right-hander Rob Whalen will make his season debut for the Mariners; he was 1-2 with a 6.57 ERA in five starts for Atlanta last year. The right-hander missed most of Spring Training with shoulder and calf issues.

Whalen was called up from Triple-A Tacoma on Wednesday to provide bullpen depth if needed, but wasn't used. He spent a day with Seattle on May 5 as a long-relief option, but wasn't called on to pitch.

"I'm extremely excited," Whalen said. "The one day I came up and didn't get to throw was a little disappointing, but [general manager] Jerry [Dipoto] promised there'd be opportunities here when I got traded and that's all I can ask for."
As for Johnson (1-0, 7.20 ERA), this will be the lefty's second spot start of the season; he won his first Major League game in Boston's 8-7 win over Toronto on April 18 after giving up four runs in five innings.

"We've seen a gradual increase in his stuff overall," Boston manager John Farrell said of the club's No. 11 prospect. "There's been better crispness, there's been better strike throwing, there's the ability to put away guys with a breaking ball, a slight uptick in velocity, and I think more than anything the two years that Brian in his own journey has gone through, he's coming out the backside of it and regaining the form."
Reliever Ben Taylor was optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket after Friday's 3-0 win to free up a roster spot for Johnson.

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• Whalen will become the 43rd player used this season by the Mariners and their 12th starting pitcher, both the most in the Majors. The club has 10 players on the disabled list, including starting pitchers Felix Hernandez, James Paxton, Hisashi Iwakuma and Drew Smyly.

• Of the Mariners' 49 home runs, only five have come off left-handers. Nelson Cruz, Seattle's leader in home runs with 12, has three of the five.

• Dustin Pedroia will likely be back in the Red Sox's lineup Saturday after the second baseman exited Thursday's game against the Rangers with a left knee injury. Farrell said Pedroia was held out of the series opener for precautionary reasons

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170526232581132/mariners-red-sox-turn-to-fresh-arms/?game_pk=490840

Bear

RED SOX LINEUP:
Red Sox vs Mariners G2

Betts RF

Pedroia 2B

Bogaerts SS

Benintendi LF

Ramirez DH

Moreland 1B

Bradley Jr. CF

Leon C

Marrero 3B

Johnson LHP.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Bear on May 27, 2017, 01:36:41 AM
RED SOX LINEUP:
Red Sox vs Mariners G2

Betts RF

Pedroia 2B

Bogaerts SS

Benintendi LF

Ramirez DH

Moreland 1B

Bradley Jr. CF

Leon C

Marrero 3B

Johnson LHP.

Got my wish by seeing Pedroia back.  Now he and the others have to go out there and win this series TODAY and not tomorrow.  Let's hope Brian Johnson is a helluva better improvement that that worthless bum Velasquez was.

markj

Mariners pitcher is scuffling. 2 runs in and bases loaded. Need more runs here.

markj

Argh. One run in, but Hanley gets tossed out out home by a mile. Didn't even bother trying to avoid the tag. Did he screw up or did Butterfield?

markj

So Hanley runs thru a stop sign and blows a chance for more runs. OB thinks the Sox have been doing well running the bases? I've seen a lot of screw-ups, including two that inning.

Bill-806

GO SOX , make DAD & Bill-806 proud !!! rofl rofl

markj

Johnson cruising through 4 innings so far.

markj

Johnson with a scoreless game through 6 now. Still with a low PC. Impressive.

Rob from Mass

Wow checked the phone and had to look a2nd time to make sure I seen Johnson's stats were right.

markj

Johnson through 8 and still cruising. Bring him out for the 9th. Give him a chance for a CG shutout.

Bill-806

My thoughts are with Johnson & the SOX......  Make us proud !! thumb_u

elktonnick

This is what is beautiful about this game.  I never thought Brian Johnson would get to the 6th never mind have a chance at a CG shutout going into the 9th. 

markj

Absolutely stellar game by Johnson. What a gem. And JBJ with three awesome catches and a 2-run dinger. Just a great game.

Schloicka

Johnson will probably be sent back to AAA when Price is activated. Great game for him.