GAME #34, BOSTON RED SOX AT MILWAUKEE BREWERS

Started by Bear, May 11, 2017, 02:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ipot

Quote from: ojdidit on May 11, 2017, 04:33:53 PM
E-Rod quietly becoming a solid pitcher.  3.24 ERA in last half 2016. Now 2.80.  No walks today. m

Really coming around.  Indeed.

Wish the offense could come around sooner than later again.  Mookie's dinger saves the day.  And we avoid a sweep.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bill-806

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on May 11, 2017, 04:42:10 PM
Quote from: Bill-806 on May 11, 2017, 03:40:40 PM
Quote from: Rob from Mass on May 11, 2017, 03:36:35 PM
Mookie has been raking ever since being moved to the lead off spot.
  Yes, but Mookies home run was set up by the BUNT by the rookie that was misplayed by the  S S at 2nd on the force play.....  Making my point, that you have to put pressure on the defense & pitcher to make things happen.... Play for the long ball & you get D P's........  Gam just ended, be a better ride home tonight !!!

Bill---as a former coach who did it for over 30 years you are very right to insist that it is best to put pressure on the pitcher and infielders with a bunt or a hit and run, run and hit, whenever possible.  However, it must be at the right opportunity and you have to have the batter up there who can bunt or hit behind the runner.  Sad to say, today the emphasis on the mound is the guy who can throw 95-98 MPH and the batter who can put it in the seats.  The days of Lou Brock and Maury Wills have gone by the boards, at least at the present time.  Rare for me but to give Farrell some due, he was pretty aggressive in his strategy early in his Red Sox career, but he has come to the Francona method that outs are precious and with that comes the risk of double plays.  It seems a lot of teams have waylaid the idea of hitting behind the runner and stealing bases for the simple way of just going for the downs.  Perhaps with all these shifts we're seeing the pendulum might swing back when batting coaches start teaching hitters how to take advantage of the shift instead of trying to hit through it.  I mean, how many Ted Williams are there out there?

A good win today but I still have deep reservations about our chances.  But I like the way this one turned out.  Now how about getting E-Rod some run support the next few times out.
  B I N G O   &  ADAPT !!! thumb_u

elktonnick

Kimbrel pitched an immaculate inning in the 9th.  3ks on 9 pitches.

ojdidit

Quote from: elktonnick on May 12, 2017, 07:24:46 AM
Kimbrel pitched an immaculate inning in the 9th.  3ks on 9 pitches.

Based on last season I expected another disappointing string of heart pounding walks with Kimbrel.  Man has this guy proven me wrong on that. With his stuff if he gets it over he is virtually unhittable.  The curve yesterday to Shaw was beyond nasty.

Rob from Mass

Kimbrel's 5 Ks match a career-high. The crazy part is it took a mere 20 pitches with a hit in the mix to boot.

Rob from Mass

CRAP!!!!...Have tickets to Sat nights Rays game but just heard on the radio that due to rain its moved to 1:05 and can`t make that time.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Rob from Mass on May 12, 2017, 03:23:41 PM
CRAP!!!!...Have tickets to Sat nights Rays game but just heard on the radio that due to rain its moved to 1:05 and can`t make that time.

See if you can trade it in for a June 23 ticket for the Red Sox-Angels game when they retire David Ortiz' number.  I'll be flying in for that weekend and, who knows, we could even hook up.

Rob from Mass

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on May 12, 2017, 03:55:42 PM

See if you can trade it in for a June 23 ticket for the Red Sox-Angels game when they retire David Ortiz' number.  I'll be flying in for that weekend and, who knows, we could even hook up.
I always donate them to a local youth organization so some young kids get a chance to see the Sox.It's 4 tickets and I need to see that at least  1 adult that will be with them.Been doing this for a long time and thankfully no problems have occurred.

markj

Quote from: Rob from Mass on May 12, 2017, 04:17:10 PM

I always donate them to a local youth organization so some young kids get a chance to see the Sox.It's 4 tickets and I need to see that at least  1 adult that will be with them.Been doing this for a long time and thankfully no problems have occurred.

Good man. My respects. thumb_u

Rob from Mass

Quote from: markj on May 12, 2017, 06:57:09 PM
Quote from: Rob from Mass link=topic=8135.msg39196#msg39196 date=1494623

Good man. My respects. thumb_u

Thank you Mark