GAME #34, BOSTON RED SOX AT MILWAUKEE BREWERS

Started by Bear, May 11, 2017, 02:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

RED SOX V BREWERS

THURSDAY, MAY 11, 2017, 1PM AT MILLER PARK

TV:  NESN, MLBN (OUT-OF-MARKET ONLY) FSWI

BOSTON, (17-16)........................................................................................MILWAUKEE (18-16)

BOSTON:

EDUARDO RODRIGUEZ, LHP, 1-1, 3.07ERA, 37K

Rodriguez posted his third straight quality start Friday night in a no-decision
against the Twins.  The left-hander has the second best ERA among Boston
starters, and he's struck out at least a batter per inning each of his past
three starts.

MILWAUKEE:

JIMMY NELSON, RHP, 1-2, 4.83ERA, 25K

Nelson needed only 30 pitches to toss three hitless innings Friday vs the
Pirates, but a 2-hour 27-minute rain delay ended his start prematurely.  The right-hander
has now gone four outings without a quality start.

Brewers, Nelson go for sweep of Red Sox

Carson Mason

Jimmy Nelson looks to build off his rain-shortened start his last time out, while Boston's Eduardo Rodriguez will seek his fourth straight quality start when the Brewers and Red Sox meet in the series finale at Miller Park on Thursday.

Before a 2-hour, 27-minute weather delay spoiled his outing, Nelson used just 30 pitches to toss three perfect frames in a no-decision against the Pirates on Friday. The right-hander was on his way to ending a shaky three-start run that saw him allow 15 runs over 15 2/3 innings. He'll look to build off his three impressive innings against Boston on Thursday.

Nelson will start the contest after six days of rest, but Brewers manager Craig Counsell doesn't see the right-hander receiving any extra benefits from the time off.

"When we took him out of the game and told him he wasn't pitching Friday night, he was like 'What am I supposed to do for six days?'" Counsell said. "And that's just the way the schedule worked. It was unfortunate."

Opponents are batting .276 against Nelson, who has never faced the Red Sox in five seasons with Milwaukee. Likewise, Rodriguez has yet to face the Brewers over his three-year Major League career.

The left-hander is coming off a no-decision against the Twins on Friday, where he gave up three earned runs on seven hits and one walk over six innings. Over his last two starts, Rodriguez has registered two straight quality starts, allowing four runs over 18 innings, striking out 22.

"I've just been working and trying to throw more strikes and get deep into games. That's my goal right now," Rodriguez said.

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• The Brewers are batting .279 (79-for-283) against lefties and are 4-4 against southpaw starters. Milwaukee is tied for third in the Major Leagues with 13 home runs against left-handers, including five from the left-handed-hitting Eric Thames, who enters Thursday tied for the Major League lead with 13 homers.

• The Red Sox are on a recent power surge, homering in a season-high six straight games entering Thursday's finale. Mookie Betts led off Tuesday's series opener by blasting a 433-foot homer off Brewers starter Wily Peralta. The hit came off his bat at 109.1 mph -- his longest home run and second-hardest of the Statcast era. Jackie Bradley Jr. kept the streak alive on Wednesday with a solo shot.

• Ryan Braun's return to the lineup Tuesday began with a bang. The outfielder barreled a 111.1-mph double to center field that traveled a Statcast-projected 406 feet. The drive was Braun's sixth-hardest extra-base hit of the Statcast Era and his second-hardest batted ball this season. Braun will be available as a pinch-hitter on Thursday after exiting Wednesday's win with left calf tightness.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170510229531628/brewers-nelson-go-for-sweep-of-red-sox/?game_pk=490613

Bear

RED SOX LINEUP:

BETTS, RF
PEDROIA, 2B
BOGAERS, SS
BENINTENDI, LF
MORELAND, 1B
BRADLEY, CF
RUTLEDGE, 3B
VAZQUEZ, C

RODRIGUEZ, P

longgame

RESERVED FOR BITCHING AND COMPLAINING FOR HOW THEY BLOW THE GAME TODAY.

Rob from Mass

Red Sox option Kyle Kendrick, recall lefty reliever, Robbie Ross.

Bill-806

I didn't see last nights game, I understand that the SOX hit into 3 D P's ??  When is J F going to learn that you can't play for the big inning & SMALL ball is necessary more than ever in a N L parrrrk  !! 

Schloicka

Quote from: Bill-806 on May 11, 2017, 11:15:09 AM
  I didn't see last nights game, I understand that the SOX hit into 3 D P's ??  When is J F going to learn that you can't play for the big inning & SMALL ball is necessary more than ever in a N L parrrrk  !!

If you didn't see the game how can you make a reasonable comment about the dp's? In 2 of the situations there is no way would anyone be bunting. One was with 1 out and a runner at 1st in the 7th. Benintendi grounded into the dp. No way should he be bunting down 7-2. He's one of the few guys that is actually hitting. The other time was in the 8th with the bases loaded and no outs still down 7-2. Your not going to give up an out in that situation. That late in the game you have to hope for the big inning.

Rob from Mass

Quote from: Schloicka on May 11, 2017, 12:24:03 PM

If you didn't see the game how can you make a reasonable comment about the dp's? In 2 of the situations there is no way would anyone be bunting. One was with 1 out and a runner at 1st in the 7th. Benintendi grounded into the dp. No way should he be bunting down 7-2. He's one of the few guys that is actually hitting. The other time was in the 8th with the bases loaded and no outs still down 7-2. Your not going to give up an out in that situation. That late in the game you have to hope for the big inning.

He assumes a lot .

Rob from Mass

Early 1-0 lead in bottom 3 thanks to the Brew crew error in the 1st .E-rod looking good so far .1 h and 2 Ks thru 3 .Only 39 pitches after 3 is very low and unusual for him.

Rob from Mass

Another very good 1-2-3 inning with 2 more Ks. E-rod looks the best I have seen him this season .Very good command mixing pitches really good.

Bill-806

Quote from: Rob from Mass on May 11, 2017, 01:01:45 PM

He assumes a lot .
Easy there boys.....  I don't care what the circumstances were.....  A little league coach would tell ya that  3  D P's are too many....... Does anybody on "the keep the line moving" gang know how to go with the pitch ?? thumb_d

ipot

This Nelson kid is amazing.  Wow.   ::)
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Rob from Mass

Brewers tie it up with a 2 out clutch double.

Schloicka

Quote from: Bill-806 on May 11, 2017, 01:29:46 PM

He assumes a lot .
Easy there boys.....  I don't care what the circumstances were.....  A little league coach would tell ya that  3  D P's are too many....... Does anybody on "the keep the line moving" gang know how to go with the pitch ?? thumb_d

You don't care what the circumstances were? That's ridiculous. The circumstances at the time are what determine what should be done, not what has already happened.

Rob from Mass

Erod had retired 13 straight before the leadoff single to start the 6th.All even at 1 going to the 7th.

Bill-806

Quote from: Schloicka on May 11, 2017, 02:01:01 PM
Quote from: Bill-806 on May 11, 2017, 01:29:46 PM

He assumes a lot .

You don't care what the circumstances were? That's ridiculous. The circumstances at the time are what determine what should be done, not what has already happened.
Show me a team that hits into 3 D P's, and I will show you another loss !!!