GAME #24, TUESDAY, APRIL 23, 2019, TIGERS @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by longgame, April 23, 2019, 08:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on April 24, 2019, 08:29:11 AM
What really bothers me is the lack of offense.  They could be counted on to come up with a late rally if needed, but usually they had crooked numbers on the board early.  This year it seems like double plays and pop-ups are on order every time someone is on base.  Man, even Bradley can't manage to strike out with men on, he has to hit into a DP.

Chavis is a ray of hope, but he plays 2B like a 3B.  Watch how he covers the bag in particular, plus he doesn't have the footwork down yet.  He could get there though, but he may have a future at 1B. 

The rest, other than JD, I just don't know what to say.  They've got to collectively wake up.

I had hoped this homestand would settle them down.  It didn't feel like a normal season until they got home for this stand and finally had a stretch of games starting every night at 7PM.  So much for normalcy.

First of all the team and front office and all his fans on the various must come to a realization that Jackie Bradley Jr.  is a  total lost cause AND WILL NEVER EVER BE A QUALITY HITTER FOR US, while his defense, good as it is, cannot ever make up for his 135 or so batting average. When you pair him with Leon it is death to our lineup because both them   Bradley has to go, and God help us if the team extends him.  Leon must be released forthwith and Chavis must be found a spot in that lineup.  He might make it at second but he needs to play.  With Devers playing so poorly he might replace him, or be put at first base or we bite the bullet and play him at second and sacrifice some defense for some thunder.

And we must not let JD Martinez get away because we now know that something is terribly wrong with Mookie this season, whether he is too worried about that humongous contract THAT HE IS NOT GOING TO GET if he plays as he has up to now.  In 2017 he was well known for his ground outs to shortstop.  This season it is a pop up to first, second or short right field.  If this season proceeds as it has so far perhaps it will be time to rip some of it apart because right now we look like a pack of losers.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Murph on April 24, 2019, 08:30:34 AM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on April 23, 2019, 10:09:01 PM
Quote from: longgame on April 23, 2019, 06:20:52 PM
They just need to start playing well on a consistent basis. 

I wish I could search how many times I said our bullpen is going to be a huge liability over the off season.  But the offense really needs to step it up too.

We all heard you Ted except for those who didn't want to hear the truth, but the fact is all of us here are hurting.  It is hard to fathom just how far this team has fallen and how much dead weight we have on this team.  Don't be surprised if Dombrowski's brain grows again and he decides to get rid of some of the bums who we've been carrying under the false assumption that they are winning ballplayers.....AND WE ALL KNOW WHO THEY ARE.

Well, Fred to use your word the biggest bum, without doubt, is the reigning MVP hands down.

It is hard for me to accept that Murph but you may be very right on that.  Mookie has been a big disappointment so far with his penchant for the rally killing pop up to the first, second baseman or right fielder.  Perhaps he is already over thinking about that big contract that might be going GONE WITH THE WIND if he keeps up his crappy play.  The question I keep asking myself is how could a team as the one we had in 2018 become such a pig of a one just six months later????

longgame

Mookie had a great year 3 years ago.  Then Farrell wanted to move him down in the lineup, he stunk.  Then Cora moved him back, MVP. This year, move him to #2, he stinks.  It doesn't take much to figure this out.  It makes no sense, but it does to Betts for some reason.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on April 24, 2019, 03:30:01 PM
Mookie had a great year 3 years ago.  Then Farrell wanted to move him down in the lineup, he stunk.  Then Cora moved him back, MVP. This year, move him to #2, he stinks.  It doesn't take much to figure this out.  It makes no sense, but it does to Betts for some reason.

Cora's first mistake took place in early November when he said that Mook and Benni would trade places in the batting order  If something is not broke but in good working order you LEAVE IT THE HELL ALONE.  Cora wouldn't and that started this round robin round of tragic events.  Having coached for over 30 years I do know that some players feel totally comfortable in one spot and play like it when they're there.  Betts led the league in hitting last season, in slugging and a few other stats.  He was at home at lead off and we had JD alternating between third and fourth where he did very well.  You think Cora would have learned from Farrell's mistakes but no---Cora suddenly felt he was the smartest man in the room and knew better.  You move Mookie back to lead off, hit Benintendi second and Martinez third and you have the makings of a tough trio.  Moreland and Pearce dod not hit for average but have clean-up man power, which is where they should be hitting.  Cora still hasn't awakened to that fact.