GAME #1, MARCH 28, 2019, BOSTON RED SOX AT MARINERS

Started by Bear, March 26, 2019, 07:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on March 29, 2019, 09:46:08 AM
Also are our pitchers still voicing their preference for Leon behind the plate? (Sale was one I think, and one other).  When he was waived, Cora stated 'we are not accomodating anybody.'  Cora will get all the drama put to bed, I think.

Cora is right there.  He should not be accommodating anybody, pitchers or otherwise.  Leon was a total washout at the plate and no team can carry a 177 hitter inthe lineup.  He's been outrighted and no other team made any move to sign or trade for him.  That speaks volumes about his talent because if anyone saw anything in this guy they would have asked for him.  No one did.  Case closed.

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on March 29, 2019, 09:55:49 AM
Also are our pitchers still voicing their preference for Leon behind the plate? (Sale was one I think, and one other).  When he was waived, Cora stated 'we are not accomodating anybody.'  Cora will get all the drama put to bed, I think.

Cora is right there.  He should not be accommodating anybody, pitchers or otherwise.  Leon was a total washout at the plate and no team can carry a 177 hitter inthe lineup.  He's been outrighted and no other team made any move to sign or trade for him.  That speaks volumes about his talent because if anyone saw anything in this guy they would have asked for him.  No one did.  Case closed.

Good points Fred.  He was awful but he may still be up at some point later in the season.

I was concerned about this whole idea of starting the season with 11 straight road games, but they actually came out pretty good.  Much like last year they were stringing together base hits and you had the feeling they were still in it a little bit when they climbed to 8-4, but the pen blew any chance.  The real shame is that Sale gave up 7 and the pen gave up 5.  Even if Sale pitched a gem it may not have mattered.

Murph

The case is closed until an injury. Then pick your poison between 3 slugs. Centino   Hernandez or Leon none of which have a career BA of .230   

Read more: http://www.milb.com/roster/index.jsp?sid=milb&cid=533#ixzz5jZpuLAGc

Murph

Raffy and Nunez did what they do commit errors. At least, for now, Nunez had some speed and hustle perhaps his knees are better.

BoSoxFanNY

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on March 29, 2019, 09:51:36 AM
A good night's sleep did little to allay my fears that this team of ours is simply not ready for the season.  Anyone who now things ST failures cannot seep into the regular season should have what passes for their brains examined.  We simply looked like crap last night.  Tonight Cora has to wake up the team and maybe himself while he's about it, get Holt in at second to at least get some defense in the infield while Devers has to start playing third base better than he did last year and last night.  How about  guys?  Time to get the cobwebs out.
I happen to agree.  There were not as prepared as last year.
Spring Training 2018 - the Sox went 22 - 9 and WERE READY to play.
I know that he had to consider that the starting pitchers pitched until the end of October (YEAH),
BUT, he had to know that the season started on March 28th.

Disappointing start for the Sox AND sale.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Murph on March 29, 2019, 11:05:25 AM

The case is closed until an injury. Then pick your poison between 3 slugs. Centino   Hernandez or Leon none of which have a career BA of .230   

Read more: http://www.milb.com/roster/index.jsp?sid=milb&cid=533#ixzz5jZpuLAGc

We had better hope with all our might that Swihart and Vazquez stay healthy and that the former gets his chance to show what he can do because any of those three slugs you mentioned would be a bitter pill to swallow since none of them can hit worth shit, and it is time to move on from wastrels like that.

elktonnick

Leon will be back catching mark my words 177 ba or not.  What is much more important is how he calls the game.  I just don't see either Swihart or Vaz cutting the mustard behind the plate.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on March 29, 2019, 03:17:22 PM
Leon will be back catching mark my words 177 ba or not.  What is much more important is how he calls the game.  I just don't see either Swihart or Vaz cutting the mustard behind the plate.

They won't get better if they don't play and show improvemt Elk which they won't do if they are being jerked in and out of the lineup, and, besides, if some of our hitters have hangovers as our team did last night, having a 177 hitter in that lineup will negate any improvement that may incur should the team be dumb enough to bring Leon back catch.  When we DFA a guy we have to learn that we need to rid ourselves of him instead of doing the dance of bringing back these piss poor players time and again.  When it is time to cut bait we mus CUT BAIT!!!!!!!!  However, I do fear that by some stupid move by the front office we have not seen the last of Leon even though he didn't make the team, and for a guy who many think is invalauable to pitching staffs it is a surprise that no other team even made a move to get him from us.

elktonnick

This team won 108 games during the regular season with Leon as their primary catcher.  His BA did not hurt them but his work behind the plate helped considerably.  Without him I see their pitching staff as being adversely affected as evidenced by the pitchers' era with him being quite lower than when anyone else caught.