Second Base Possibilities?

Started by MongoLikeSox, November 27, 2023, 08:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

So what's out there in 2B land this year? We recovered from the Urias trade well enough by flipping him for a promising BP arm. Now we absolutely need a plan-A for 2B. If things go well, this might be the last time we have to talk about a wide open 2B situation for some time. 

Our internal solutions include only two guys in Pablo Reyes and Enmanuel Valdez. Two "creative" solutions would be Ceddanne Rafaela and David Hamilton. The creative solutions could also include Trever Story going to 2B and Rafaela starting at SS.

Free Agents - The 2B FA list via MLB.com, and not a very appealing group at that.
Elvis Andrus, Whit Merrifield(my fav amongst the FA's), Tony Kemp, Kolten Wong, Adam Frazier, Jonathan Schoop, Luis Guillorme, Rougned Odor, Josh Harrison, Hanser Alberto and Leury García.

I've seen three names on the trade block. Two of them, at least, scream loud "No" to me because of their defense. Gleyber Torrez has gifted the Red Sox with bad fielding almost as many times as he's hurt us with the bat. Johnathan India is suspect on defense from what I've read. The 3rd name I've seen suggested is Brandon Drury, who is on a walk year from Anaheim. I've also heard he's a good defender.

Whatchyu guys think? (fwiw, I'm still favoring a Witt Merrifield signing.)

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on November 27, 2023, 08:09:59 AM
So what's out there in 2B land this year? We recovered from the Urias trade well enough by flipping him for a promising BP arm. Now we absolutely need a plan-A for 2B. If things go well, this might be the last time we have to talk about a wide open 2B situation for some time. 

Our internal solutions include only two guys in Pablo Reyes and Enmanuel Valdez. Two "creative" solutions would be Ceddanne Rafaela and David Hamilton. The creative solutions could also include Trever Story going to 2B and Rafaela starting at SS.

Free Agents - The 2B FA list via MLB.com, and not a very appealing group at that.
Elvis Andrus, Whit Merrifield(my fav amongst the FA's), Tony Kemp, Kolten Wong, Adam Frazier, Jonathan Schoop, Luis Guillorme, Rougned Odor, Josh Harrison, Hanser Alberto and Leury García.

I've seen three names on the trade block. Two of them, at least, scream loud "No" to me because of their defense. Gleyber Torrez has gifted the Red Sox with bad fielding almost as many times as he's hurt us with the bat. Johnathan India is suspect on defense from what I've read. The 3rd name I've seen suggested is Brandon Drury, who is on a walk year from Anaheim. I've also heard he's a good defender.

Drury is a thick kid, 230 lb.  As I recall he was a dependable fielder when he was with the Padres two years ago.  But he had an awful post-season trying to hit the ball with runners on base.  I did not see him play at Angels.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on November 27, 2023, 08:09:59 AM

Whit Merrifield PERIOD!!!!!!!  The rest of that bunch are for the most part past their prime, over the hill, head cases and total underachievers, though India might be worth a look, a quick one.

As for our "inhouse" duo, later for Valdez who is a total sieve in the field and not too disciplined at the plate.  Reyes is a good utility man but no person to hold a starting job while David Hamilton can't hit his way out of a paper bag. As for Rafaela, let's not jerk this guy around.  Plan to give him a full shot at either CF or SS and make NO plans to shift him from one spot to another.  If he is as good as advertised we need to get this youngster in the lineup and keep him there without Cora doing his usual job of jerking another young player around.

longgame

Merrifield is a no-brainer to me.  He's a free agent so you don't give up anything.  He's a proven veteran.  We get much needed infield defense with him and Story side by side.  Merrifield at 2B allows Story to cover more to his right which helps Devers.  Go out and do this and move on to the next problem. 

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on November 28, 2023, 09:12:16 AM
Merrifield is a no-brainer to me.  He's a free agent so you don't give up anything.  He's a proven veteran.  We get much needed infield defense with him and Story side by side.  Merrifield at 2B allows Story to cover more to his right which helps Devers.  Go out and do this and move on to the next problem.
I didn't even think of the veteran aspect - having Merrifield in Casas's right ear for a year might be a good thing?