Chas McCormick (R) LF
Yainer Diaz (R) 1B
Jeremy Pena (R) SS
Jake Meyers (R) CF
Martin Maldonado (R) C

Gametime Temp: 90°F
Chance of Precip: 4%

Sea Dog 23

Houston was just swept by the Mariners.  They're throwing some big guns this week with Verlander on Tues and Urquidy on Wed.  I don't know too much about this guy Javier, but he is sporting an 8-2 record, 4.49 era.

MongoLikeSox

I think Javier is that one with sort of an old school timing hitch in his delivery. I just looked up his stats. His K-rate is way down this year.

Well, this is the beginning of the tough stretch. On the bright side of not gaining ground on Seattle, their sweep brought the Astraholes down to only a 1/2 game hold on the 2nd Wild Card spot. This is now a 4 team race for 2 spots.

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on August 21, 2023, 03:50:39 PM
I think Javier is that one with sort of an old school timing hitch in his delivery. I just looked up his stats. His K-rate is way down this year.

Well, this is the beginning of the tough stretch. On the bright side of not gaining ground on Seattle, their sweep brought the Astraholes down to only a 1/2 game hold on the 2nd Wild Card spot. This is now a 4 team race for 2 spots.

I just looked him up too.  Great W-L record maybe only partially supported by his stats? 4.49 ERA but it's been higher the last 7 and 15 games. 112 Ks in 122 IP and  1.23 WHIP. But he must get some run support to get to 8-2.

MongoLikeSox

This is a fugly game. Only one error, officially, but Devers)2), Yoshida, Verdugo/Urias - 5 potential extra outs in 2 innings.

markj

Sea Dog 23

Seems  they're travel weary.  Four runs is not gonna cut it .

The Astros were smart to get Dana Brown from the Braves as their OPS guy.  Just look at what the Sox are left with in Bloom, and what NYY have in Cashman.  The gift that keeps on giving.  lol.

MongoLikeSox

Can't help but wonder how many extra outs we actually gave them and how much it affected Paxton's pitching efforts.

Off-Season wish for Yoshida is same as Duran. Learn how to get to the wall fast and get set for the fly ball. Do they even teach that one anymore? McCormick did the same thing for the Astros in the 1st inning and he's supposed to be a good defender.

LOB'sters, situational hitting and plays not made. We dropped a game in the standings with that well earned loss.

longgame

Playing the big boys instead of the Yankees had to be a factor, but yes, the defense is atrocious. Not to mention the lack of timely hitting. Let’s see if they can bounce back today, they can’t afford to drop a series the rest of the way.

Sea Dog 23

With Turner held out, he was the rally starter, with all those runners LOB.  Now Duran is out, and Story is slumping bad.  Our dog days starting?